trying to prepare for a teary good bye

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I finished gymnastics at the end of May so my parents didn't have to pay for me to still go to gymnastics all summer and play around with no focus. My one regret is that I never got my BHS onto a high beam with or without spot, but deep down I know I will never really want to be done with gymnastics, but I have been coaching about four days a week all summer, including helping with all my friends on team.

Friday is my last day coaching and seeing my closest friends until November at least. The funny thing is that I didn't shed a single tear for any end of the year graduation thing for school. But my gym friends are so much more important to me than any of my school friends. I'm going to have a horrible time driving home from practice friday morning!!

Don't have regrets! Everything in life is a lesson that will lead you to be the person you are meant to be. It is hard and painful to make any transition. I suggest that you start thinking about how you can enjoy the sport as a spectator and evaluate if you want to continue to be involved as a coach.

I know this is a big change since I went through it with my older daughter who was a level 10 gymnast when she retired. This has been a big part of your life so it is okay to be sad about the change. Just be sure that you will be able to move on and that gymnastics will always be a part of you.

Best Wishes,

ZZ Mom

Congratulations on being able to coach after leaving the competitive side! As hard ad this is try looking atvit like you are going through a door to a new part of your life. I assume you are going off to college? If so, is there a gym near your school that you might be ableto get a part time job? I know you will miss your friends, but there is a whole big world of people out there who need friends like you, go spread your wings and find them. With cell phones, you will be able to talk to or text your gym buddies and with your parents permission and the highest security settings Facebook is a great way to keep up with your friends.
Best of luck to you and I will say a little prayer for you on Friday morning.

Gym goodbyes are harder than many others. It will be difficult, but those people will always be with you, as will the sport. I will warn you; I came back to watch a few weeks after I quit and seeing everyone ready to go made me lose it all over again. Remember that the people who love you always will :)

Thinking of you as you move on..... Good-byes are never easy but this sounds much more like See you later! Best wishes!

So it could have been worse. There were only 4 girls at practice this morning and none that I was super super close to so it wasn't until the head coach and I were heading out that things got tough. But they all have my phone number so at the end of practice when they're just doing over splits I think they will call me and give me a news update. It still sucks though. There are no gyms anywhere near my college. :( Let the gymnastics withdrawls begin!

Don't think of it as a goodbye, thing of it as a see you later type thing. As you say you don't want to be finished with gym forever, and there is no reason for you to ever finish with gym. Perhaps it will never be quite the same but the gym can always be a part of your life.

Does your ocllege offer gymnastics classes, I'm not sure how they all work in the USA but surely they have a gym and coaches and even some rec classes to maintain your skills and work on those goals like getting that BHS on high beam on your own. Perhaps you can look around the area for a local gym near your college. They may have recreational classes for ex competitive or for adult gymnasts where you can go and work on your skills. Or you could join their team, if you don't want that much committment perhaps you could work out with their level 6 or 7 team 1 or 2 days a week. I would let them know you have been coaching, gyms are often on the lookout for good coaches. Or perhaps they have an open gym class you can go to to at least maintain your skills. Maybe with a willing coach around to help you out with new ones.

When you come back for vacations and for summer, I am sure your old gym would be glad to have you around to help with the coaching and you could ask about training with the team girls. Perhpas even consider being a gymnastics coach at a recreational summer camp.

Once you finish college and settle down if you find you still want to be in the gym, go back. Lots of gyms have adults on their teams, some who have returned after college and some doing gym for the first time. Or again look for a recreational class.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back