Tsuk

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter would like to know what the most important element of doing a tsuk is and any suggestions on making a consistent landing .
Thanks

That's a pretty loaded question...

It depends on the kid, really..

If she can do a round-off back on floor, then it's the run/board contact.

If she can't do a handsring, however, then it's a good handspring.

If she can't do any of that, it's vault basics/floor basics/trampoline basics.

Other aspects come into play.. the block, feel for the back flip...

Really.. if she has a coach that knows how to teach them, she should listen. If she doesn't, she needs to find one that can work with her. This isn't a home-taught skill in general.

However, if she has access to a trampoline, she can learn how to do a skill called a 'cody.' This is basically a chest drop into a back flip. It helps tremendously with turn over and body awareness.

She can do all of that, and she does listen well and is very focused, but she is not in a club enviroment yet, which I think will make a difference .Basically she was landing on her knees alot at first, then started to land on her feet but falling to the side. Thanks .

She can do all of that, and she does listen well and is very focused, but she is not in a club enviroment yet, which I think will make a difference .Basically she was landing on her knees alot at first, then started to land on her feet but falling to the side. Thanks .

If she's falling to the side, I can say with 99% certainty, that either she has a problem with her entry causing her to flip slightly off-axis or she's not squaring up for the flip after the block.

As she goes over the table, does she go straight over top, or do her feet go slightly to the side? If they go slightly to the side, she is probably twisting early and/or focusing too much on the twist and not enough on the heel drive. I always tell my students that the twist should not happen in front of the face, it should happen behind the head once they get the hang of this, it often fixes the problem.

The other possibility is that she is trying to flip before completing the twist. Which commonly boils down to fear, whether she realizes it or not; if she's afraid she won't make it over, then of course she'll pull the flip as hard and as early as possible, without waiting for her body to square up.

I'd have to see the vault to be certain of what her problem is, but odds are very very high that if she's falling sideways, it's one of these two things.

EDIT: also, if she's "not in a club environment," where exactly is she practicing this?

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info.She competes for the Youth Team for the school district, they have a gymnastics program. Most of the teams they compete against are club teams.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back