WAG Tuition cost??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Trust me the wife and I thought about moving, but this is where our Family, business, and where we’re from. So we just end up moving back but it’s ridiculous.

Reactions: sce
My jaw is still on the floor at $200,000 houses. I live in Australia. Average house price in my suburb would be $800,000, get closer to the city and yiu would not get anything for under 1 million, or more.
That is closer to what it’s like in my area, with many houses above a million.

I hope this is ok to ask if not Ill delete. Ive been told Im over paying lol But I was hoping to compare if some of you wouldnt mind telling me how much y'alls tuition is. Also maybe your childs level and how many hours they train? TIA

Aussie here. We live in Townsville. My DS is level 3, 9 hours per week. We pay about $400 per term (10 weeks), there are up to 10 kids and two coaches in his group - both of whom are ex-Aus gymnasts - and they are so supportive.
Insurance is about $100 per year but that is set by Gymnastics Australia and goes to them, not the club. Comps are about $60 for ones we host (2-3 per year) and about $80 for comps away (1-2 per year).
State Clubs Championships and Junior State Championships are about $260 and are away (usually in or closer to Brisbane so add flights and accommodation) but each of them have multiple days of competition and run for 4-5 days.
We then have to buy uniform (tracksuit, Tshirt, shorts, longs, leo - but MAG mums/gymnasts all just pass them down!), ring guards, high bar guards and loops. We’ve not bought ring guards yet (level 4) but it cost us about $300 initially for the rest.
I admit though - my mate has a DD in level 4 and hers cost more than my sons due to the cost of her leo and I got more for my money!
You need to
Consider what you’re getting for the money you pay. There’s the actual tuition, but are you getting uniforms, guards, loops, comp fees etc in that cost? Or are you constantly putting your hand in your pocket? Are they clear on where your money goes? Is the coaching quality good? Is the equipment in good repair? Is the gym FULLY matted?
There are SO many questions and things to compare. Be aware of that when looking at Post replies please.

Aussie here. We live in Townsville. My DS is level 3, 9 hours per week. We pay about $400 per term (10 weeks), there are up to 10 kids and two coaches in his group - both of whom are ex-Aus gymnasts - and they are so supportive.
Insurance is about $100 per year but that is set by Gymnastics Australia and goes to them, not the club. Comps are about $60 for ones we host (2-3 per year) and about $80 for comps away (1-2 per year).
State Clubs Championships and Junior State Championships are about $260 and are away (usually in or closer to Brisbane so add flights and accommodation) but each of them have multiple days of competition and run for 4-5 days.
We then have to buy uniform (tracksuit, Tshirt, shorts, longs, leo - but MAG mums/gymnasts all just pass them down!), ring guards, high bar guards and loops. We’ve not bought ring guards yet (level 4) but it cost us about $300 initially for the rest.
I admit though - my mate has a DD in level 4 and hers cost more than my sons due to the cost of her leo and I got more for my money!
You need to
Consider what you’re getting for the money you pay. There’s the actual tuition, but are you getting uniforms, guards, loops, comp fees etc in that cost? Or are you constantly putting your hand in your pocket? Are they clear on where your money goes? Is the coaching quality good? Is the equipment in good repair? Is the gym FULLY matted?
There are SO many questions and things to compare. Be aware of that when looking at Post replies please.

The $100 you pay for registration is not set by Gymnastics Australia, it doesn’t all go to them. Each club sets their own annual registration fee and the amount paid to Gymnastics Australia per gymnast is not even close to $100.

I am not saying that clubs should not upcharge on registration fees, I think they should, as there are in club expenses associated with managing gymnasts. But to say that it all goes to Gymnastics Australia is very misleading. The vast majority of that money goes to the club.

My daughter’s gym is not privately owned and does not operate for profit. We pay about $96 (Australian) dollars a week which works out at about 6.90 an hour (14 hours a week). Competitions are on top of that and, at 50-120 a competition probably add another 400 or so a year. Then registration (which includes insurance) is $90. And then there is the occasional clinic, or excursion or the like.

The $100 you pay for registration is not set by Gymnastics Australia, it doesn’t all go to them. Each club sets their own annual registration fee and the amount paid to Gymnastics Australia per gymnast is not even close to $100.

I am not saying that clubs should not upcharge on registration fees, I think they should, as there are in club expenses associated with managing gymnasts. But to say that it all goes to Gymnastics Australia is very misleading. The vast majority of that money goes to the club.

Does it vary from state to state? Gymnsw say very specifically on their website that their annual registration fee for competitive gymnasts is $90.

Property is crazy expensive in Sydney now. We live in a middle ring, middle class suburb and the 95 year old house we paid 900k for a decade ago is now worth slightly over two million dollars.

Yes, it does vary from state to state. KLaws is from QLD, as am I.

In QLD there is no difference in the amount paid for registration if you are a competitive or a recreational gymnast. Clubs are just charged a fee, based on the number of gymnasts they have, regardless of gymsport or competitive status.

In fact the fee is based on the the number of gymnast a gym have averaged out over the previous 3 years.

Wow, so different! Rec rego is about half of the cost of competitive registration here.

I imagine GA takes the same cut from everyone so it must be the amount being charged by the state associations (as well as the admin fee charged by clubs) that makes it vary so much. I guess, with Sydney rents being what they are, gymnsw probably has higher operating overheads than some of its interstate counterparts so they have to charge more. It is just so awesome living in the most expensive state in the country.

I always find these threads fascinating. We are only 90 minutes outside of the Bay Area in Ca and the cost of living drops dramatically.

DD is in Acro and is 9 hours a week. $220/month. Meet fees for the season are $635. Each pair/trio is responsible for their own leos, and the cost is based on the budget the parents set. DD's is $200/ea for two leos (two routines). We also have to pay for choreography, at approx $100/per routine per athlete.

Also, our house is 2700sq, 4/3, and we originally paid $335,000, and it's about $425,000 now value wise.

Wow, so different! Rec rego is about half of the cost of competitive registration here.

I imagine GA takes the same cut from everyone so it must be the amount being charged by the state associations (as well as the admin fee charged by clubs) that makes it vary so much. I guess, with Sydney rents being what they are, gymnsw probably has higher operating overheads than some of its interstate counterparts so they have to charge more. It is just so awesome living in the most expensive state in the country.
The cost of living in Sydney is insane!

Just chiming into the cost of living situation (sorry to derail.. but this is so fascinating to me)...

$200,000 would buy you nothing in the Greater Toronto Area as far as I'm aware of. I think we align closely with the Australian prices. 800 sq. ft. 1 bedroom condo, $500,000+. If you want a free-hold house, you're easily looking at $1M+ in the city area, and maybe 800,000-1M+ in the suburbs. But typical sub-mil homes are small, old & need lots of work done to them ($100,000+ renovations)...

No wonder all us Millennials are still living in our parents basements... -___-

Big city (high cost of living)
Level 7
21 hours per week
$665 / month
This does not include meet and coaches fees (which are about $1400/year) or leotard/warm ups (which I didn't need to buy this year but are around $500)
Hourly tuition rate = roughly $7.30/hour
Tuition goes up during the summer months but so do hours (to about 33 hrs/week)
Annual total is over $10k -- gasp!

Also in D/FW area... moved from Raleigh.

Lvl 8/9 - 4 months of injury recovery probably means repeating 8
28hrs/wk
Registration - 60 annual
Tuition only - 640/mo
Team Comp Attire - 625 bi-annual
Choreography - 440 bi-annual
Team Booster 175 - annual. This year there is an extra 100 since we aren't hosting one of the meets. But this covers coaches fees/travel and fun activities for the athletes/families.
Meet entry fees ~130/meet on average (this one varies) and there are around 8 depending on states/regionals/nationals.

$5.71/hr tuition only.

Coming from Raleigh, NC the tuition rate is higher, but there was no booster club so we had to pay all the expenses - so the total annual costs are actually right on par, if not slightly less expensive. Interesting thing is there are considerably less gymnasts in her old gym, so the meet/coaches fees split among team families were much higher. Her new gym regularly replaces equipment as it wears, has 3x the space and considerably more equipment and a track record of producing D1 college as well as national team members. Previous gym didn't have an elite program, had long waits for turns because of limited equipment, had frequent A/C issues and changed hours/cut short training because temps became dangerous to the girls. They did a fantastic job coaching and are one of the best in the area, but had limitations on how far they could go.

All this to say as long as you and your athlete is getting the value you personally place on what they receive, you aren't overpaying.

Level 3, 9 hours a week, $325 tuition only. Meet fees and leos, warmups, etc are about another $1800. We are on the west coast of Canada.

As for housing, it’s pretty similar to Toronto. About $800k+ for a one bedroom condo, minimum $1m for a single family 20 year old house. Rent here is about $1600/month for a 2bd basement suite or about $2000/month for an apartment.

We're in North Carolina and pay $350 a month for level 4, for 14 hours of training (not including apparel, competition fees or coaches fees). I used to think it was a bit much considering the fact that our old gym was $165 a month for the same number of hours (in the same city). But the quality of coaching is definitely much better at the current gym. Cost of living is sort of all over the place here. You can live in a subdivision with tract homes that cost $250k, an exclusive suburb with $700k houses or closer to center city in $1+ million houses.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back