Coaches Tumbling blocks

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

coach1234

Coach
i have a gymnast who had quite a serious injury last year, it has fully heal now but aches sometimes, anyway the point of the thread is that she now is having big mental blocks when tumbling and i think its because she still thinks 'what if it happens again' in the back of her mind, i have talked to her about it and she says she doesn't think that but deep down i think she does (maybe unintentionally) before the injury she could double full and was working 2.5 now she can do a full but blocks after anything after that,she will 1.5 but its about 1 in 20 she trys

is there any advice out there on how we can over come these blocks, strategies/ things that have work for you guys just things we can try really :) thanks

Best thing I would say is take it slow, go back to trampoline, tumbletrack and into the pit, then mat in the pit.
Do just full for a while, then once that is super consistent add a jump 1/2, then 1/2 and continue on. Go slow enough for her to ask to add the extra 1/2.

I agree, have her work more twisting somewhere that is harder to get hurt. I don't know if you have this but my old gym used to have a rod floor that ended on pit mats so it was almost like tumbling on floor (a little bouncier) but at the end it was a much softer landing.

Hope this helps!

Take 1000 fulls and call me in the morning. Numbers her to death and she'll get to the point where it'll all click that she can do the next twist. As she works these numbers try to devise safe challenges that make it harder to come up with the bhs speed to make a full, and then find a means of making it easier to have extra bhs speed. She'll learn lots about where she is at all times and be more comfortable going into the next phase.

Basically get her to the point of being able to do a great full, and be able to make it through to a decent finish even when her lead up to the set is less than optimal....... like doing it in her sleep.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back