Parents Tumbling Class issues

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

taylortumbles

Coach
Proud Parent
I've been taking my daughter to the same gym for the past several months and it is the best program I have found in this area (and we have tried them all). After coaching for 17 years, my standards are probably a little higher than the average gym parent. I closed my gym a few years ago due to medical problems and economical issues in this area. Since then it has been crazy trying to find the right program for my daughter. She has late diagnosed femoral anteversion and iselin's disease, plus ADD and unspecified (still undergoing testing) autism, but definitely very highly functioning. She is the sweetest kid, just turned 9, has a heart of gold, and loves gymnastics and cheerleading. Her focus has greatly improved and her behavior in class is very good. You would never even know she was diagnosed ADD or anything related to.

Her tumbling class is at a Y, which we love the program there and the instructors, but this session there is quite a mix in age and ability levels. Students who cannot do forward rolls to students working on fulls. They split the class in half because there are two instructors. My daughter's ability level fell right in the middle and she was placed in the lower level group, which is fine providing they tailor the stations to her ability level.....but they haven't. Her current skill level: has front limber with a two finger spot and a backwalkover with a one hand spot. She has a decent back handspring (with a spot). She can do all rolls, cartwheels both sides, one handed cartwheels, round offs, handstands, headstands, standing backbend, standing backbend raising one leg (prep for backwalkover)- all independently. The group she was placed with is learning how to do cartwheels, rolls, handstands, and round offs- and that is all they do the entire class. The session is at the mid-way point and at one of the classes my daughter specifically asked to do some of her other skills because she is getting frustrated and worried she will lose everything she has worked so hard for. She got to do three bridge kickovers at the end of class- that's it. So now she has been begging me to work with her at home which I have been doing despite the pain it causes me from my medical issues.

It frustrates me because I am paying for her to attend class so that she can learn there, in a safe environment with able bodied coaches.

I did approach one of the coaches after the first two classes about it, which I now strongly regret doing as I feel like they were offended or that I was critiquing their teaching, and now I feel like they are taking it out on her. I've notice they have skipped her in the spotting rotation when they go around to the stations and when they do go to her that they just watch her a couple times, spot her on something more difficult if she asks maybe twice, and move on and spot the other kids a dozen times each.

They had a sub last night who does well with my daughter and she got to work on a few of her skills, but any other night it's very unproductive.

I have no clue what to do at this point. There are no other programs in this area and we are already commuting a little ways to this one, which is the only program in that city.

i'm confused, and i don't mean this as snarky, you owned a gym/coached for 17 years and don't know what to do? maybe this will be a case of "if you can't beat them, join them". maybe they could use your 17 years of experience.:) i obviously have no idea what your medical issues are, but if your brain and mouth work your experience is still valuable.

I have to agree w/ dunno. Maybe you can coach there while your DD does class. It sounds like they should have more than just 2 classes. Those skills went from beginners straight to advanced! Sounds like they need one that is intermediate as well. If it works for you then you should go for it. If it doesn't then I would suggest finding an intermediate class for your DD maybe one on another day & time. Otherwise wait it out. Schedules always change at the beginning of the yr. Something might open up then.

I have lupus which attacked my kidneys and caused massive fluid retention in my stomach and legs and I am now 100 lbs heavier than what I was due to this. I was nearly bed-bound for around 6 months while they were trying to figure all of this out. I've had osteoarthritis since I was 19 and all of the extra fluid and weight has been a hindrance to that as well. I have a very tiny frame and was 110 lbs before this happened.
I'm just starting to be active again and hoping to lose everything I gained over the next year.

I have filled out a volunteer form with copies of my certifications and USAG membership (which is now expired). I honestly think they look at me physically and don't feel I would be a good fit as a volunteer for tumbling, cheer, or gymnastics and I see their point.

Today after spending 45 minutes doing handstands, my little firecracker went up to her coach and confronted him LOL. He stayed after and spotted her on everything she wanted spotted on and promised he would work with her on other things from now on. So hopefully the problem has been solved by the 9 year old who finally found her confidence ;) !

that's good! and i empathize with your condition. i have a niece with same condition. not using you is their loss. 17 years is like 30 in regular jobs. what a shame.

I agree and thanks. Hopefully I can get into a form of long term stable remission, get back in shape, and have my offer taken more seriously in the near future ;)

Today after spending 45 minutes doing handstands, my little firecracker went up to her coach and confronted him LOL. He stayed after and spotted her on everything she wanted spotted on and promised he would work with her on other things from now on. So hopefully the problem has been solved by the 9 year old who finally found her confidence ;) !

I have to say I love it. :) It definitely sounds like she helped the situation, by letting him know her needs for the class. Definitely a proud mom moment.

Ya know, two of my most significant "growth moments" have begun with similar challenges. Your dd may not know it, but somebody got a lot of help that day.....and it wasn't her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back