Tumbling Issues

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My coach said last night that while my tumbling skills themselves are fine, my form is sloppy as of late *bent legs & separated legs mostly*. In other words, I wasn't tumbling at my full potential and strength (specifically on the ro-bhs-back tuck). However, my back tuck is pretty high despite that, and I'm worried that if I fixed all the form issues, I will lose control of the back tuck and over-rotate. So how to I learn to control my tumbling while using my full strength?

Also, I'm nervous to throw the fhs-front. I want to do a tumbling pass with a front tuck this year and since I'm closer to a fhs front than a front tuck stepout, I'm working on that. I knew that my fhs weren't that high, so while I worked on them a week or so ago, I put more power into it, doing everything in the skill the best I could, and the rebound was crazy high compared to before. Now that is becoming more consistent and my coach keeps telling me to flip. Anything tips?

Sorry for the longness. :)

How are you punch front tucks? The only difference is that now you're adding a front handspring before it. Try doing some off the end of the floor onto a mat in the pit. You can also try to do front handspring punch dive forward roll--the get the idea of punching out of the fhs. Also--don't let yourself think too much about the skill and let the fear get to you--sometimes you just need to do it. Go for it and trust yourself and your coach.

My front tucks are okay. I probably could go higher, however
my best front tucks tend to be ones that land on a higher mat or surface.

My gym doesn't have a pit. :( Otherwise I would have done that.

I sorta tried fhs dive rolls. I can do them fine to a mat as high as my hips.
And when I do my fhs rebound, my arms start circling forward and my coach told me once that I was starting to rotate.

I guess what I'm asking is there any way to stimulate it?
I hate doing on the tumble track because I go too high to control it.

I hate doing on the tumble track because I go too high to control it.

Have you tried covering the tumble track with a 1" piece of foam/wrestling mat material? It takes away a lot of the bounce, but is still trampoline-like. Halfway through our competitive season we put the foam on the track so it's more like floor tumbling but still easy on the joints.

KBT you can also unfold panel mats down the track, particularly the longer kind of thinner ones work, although the thicker ones are okay too. It's pretty easy to set up if you have a couple because they velcro together. Of course if you have a strip of foam that would be easy too but I guess it depends on what was available. If I land on track (rarely) I prefer to have panel mats. I'll do the first front salto on the track but I prefer to land the last one (whichever number that is) on the resi, particularly if I'm twisting it.

Never heard of doing that, though I'm not sure if my coaches will allow it.

Anyways, two Saturdays ago during open practice, I finally threw the fhs front on an 8in mat.*practically had it since my dive rolls were no longer no rolls but more of mini flips*I over rotated on one and slightly under rotated on two. The only thing the coach who witnessed them said that I needed to land with my arms up. The front tuck felt slower than and standing one, is that supposed to happen?

I'll try some more tonight and get used to it...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back