Tumbling issues...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

Crystilwyn

I have a show coming up on december 15 and the choreographer made me the "tricker" and I need to execute a cartwheel roundoff back handspring half twist. I have the cartwheel and round off down...but i cant get the back handspring...they want to change it to a cartwheel half twist roundoff forward handspring into an axel jump, but to be honest i cant do the forward handspring or walk over...I live in the Philippines and there arent any dance studio's or gymnastic studio's offering classes until summer, and the choreographer, director, and music instructor really really want me to learn it. how can i go about this without killing myself?

Ummm I'm not sure... if you can cartwheel round off you could put a jump like a toe touch at the end of that but that might not look as impressive... is it a dance show or a gymnastics show?

Ummm I'm not sure... if you can cartwheel round off you could put a jump like a toe touch at the end of that but that might not look as impressive... is it a dance show or a gymnastics show?

It's more of a combination of everything; music, theatre, and dance. However, they want something impressive considering the show is cats and through out the show there are people doing tricks, and were doing the opening song and the first trick is the uber complicated trick I mentioned earlier...:eek: So I'm hoping for a "safer" alternative...I know they are trying to challenge me to do better, but with out a gymnastic teacher or gymnastic mats I'm limited to learning SUPER basic tricks...>.<

Well... I'm not quite sure what to say, other than to just do an easier pass. I have a feeling I'll be running into this in my musical theatre too, I happen to be one of about 5 tumblers at my performing arts school, so I'm sure I'll get a tumbling pass in one show or another... but anyways, that's OT. Honestly, I'd just talk to your choreographer about it. They're gonna take what they can get. ;)

By the way, Cats is awesome! Do you have an actual role?

Well... I'm not quite sure what to say, other than to just do an easier pass. I have a feeling I'll be running into this in my musical theatre too, I happen to be one of about 5 tumblers at my performing arts school, so I'm sure I'll get a tumbling pass in one show or another... but anyways, that's OT. Honestly, I'd just talk to your choreographer about it. They're gonna take what they can get. ;)

By the way, Cats is awesome! Do you have an actual role?

We're only doing the opening act, but I'm supposed to be the cat running all over the place doing all the stunts...>.<...but I think it will be fun. The best part is that now we finally had the Pep squad auditions and I made it. They want me to be a tumbler and they've even hired GYMNASTIC coaches to teach us!! I'm so excited!!:D Thanks for the help everyone!!

Can you do back or forward walkovers?

You could go cartwheel, half turn into round-off, straddle jump, back walkover

Or Cartwheel into backwalkover, half turn into front walkover.

Perhaps put some far hand 1 arm cartwheels or something. Kind of a build-up to a side aerial.

How cat-like are you? You could possibly learn a shushunova pretty fast. Basically jump, 1/4 rotation forward to a prone fall ( besides the whole straddle leg thing )

Can you do back or forward walkovers?

You could go cartwheel, half turn into round-off, straddle jump, back walkover

Or Cartwheel into backwalkover, half turn into front walkover.

Perhaps put some far hand 1 arm cartwheels or something. Kind of a build-up to a side aerial.

How cat-like are you? You could possibly learn a shushunova pretty fast. Basically jump, 1/4 rotation forward to a prone fall ( besides the whole straddle leg thing )

Wow! Those were really helpful! Thank you so very much!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back