Turns on floor level 8-need judge to answer

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm not a judge, but I don't believe a double turn(like many other skills now) is allowed in the L8 floor routine. Think they are limited to full or 1.5 turns. I certainly could be wrong and it won't be the 1st time.

double turns are allowed-as they are C dance skills. It would most likely be about .2? iT all depenends on how much the athlete over/ under rotates or falls out? If they under rotate too much it would be considered a one and a half- there for a B.

It's hard to say exactly what the judge would be seeing. They could be using any of the following:
Incorrect foot / body position up to .3
Incomplete turn
any form breaks when they step out early or late
and so on.

I've seen judges take more off than the value of the skill on toe turns. Just keep working on them to make them perfect. :)

turns

If they under-rotate up to 45 degrees from making the double, the deduction is up to .2, plus I might take a small rhythm error (.05-.1) if it's a bad stumble out of the turn. If they are more than 45 degrees short, the athlete would get credit for a B turn (1 1/2 turn).
Just from a scoring perspective, for level 8 it's better to do the A & B skills and just make the minimum requirements. Anything extra is fun for the athlete, but you don't get any bonus, if it's not executed perfectly, you will get clobbered in deductions. The routines that score the highest are generally the ones that do their 4 As, 4 Bs and get off the floor! :)
I'd stick with the 1 1/2 turn for L8 and just practice that double to have it ready for L9.

thanks!

Thanks gymalex for a very informative answer...I asked because we were debating the deduction one of our girls got for under rotating a double turn. I appreciate your help and I now have a better understanding of how it works.

dont forget the composition deductios at L8- a routine w/ just the basic 4 A's & 4 B's will get a composition deduction for sure!

I have a related question, Beetle just had her 3rd L8 meet of the year. She scored "low" on floor. One of the coaches went to question the judge. She was told it was because Beetle didnt have a "B" Turn in her routine, they took .2.

Is a B Turn required in L8?

Our coach, who do a great deal of research on the code of points didn't know this requirement.

I didn't think it was a requirement. Could it be that they're taking a composition deduction for not having the "B"s evenly distributed between turns, jump/leaps, and acro?

Could be, her acro and leaps are b's she even has a Jump C thrown in there I think.

That is what I was thinking. it wasnt a requirement but rather a routine composition deduction

are the girls on your team allowed to speak aloud also?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back