WAG Twice z day training?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Canadian_gym_mom

Proud Parent
I'm just curious as to thoughts on breaking up training for higher level, homeschooled/modified regular schooled athletes?

At what level might it begin to be beneficial? Or what age would work? What would an "ideal" schedule look like?

What has been suggested is 7-11, am, an hour of warm ups basics, flexibility, dance, some conditioning...varying day to day of course. Then 3 events. Then break for school.

Come back at 3:00 for the 4th event and then more conditioning and stretching.

Any thoughts?

There is some discussion about this on another thread right now, but I think it is good to break up the training for a couple of reasons. Gives their bodies a break, some nourishment and time for school. It also may offer the opportunity for them to have training with their level group and with just the elite group (if the others join in the latter half) -- this is good for team development and bonding; also good to mix things up a little as working with a small group all the time can be very hard.

But from a purely functional standpoint, breaking up the training sessions theoretically allows them to do more in one day while lowering the risk of overuse injuries.

Our gym doesn't like more then 3 hours of training at a time on a regular basis.

Our L3s are the only level that train 3 hrs at a time, all the rest of the levels are 4 hrs at a time or higher. What are the hours like for your upper levels?
12 hours a week. More in the summer but the take a break on full camp days and they are doing much more conditioning. Occasionally they might do a 4 hour practice. Coaches feel after three hours its diminishing returns and increases possible injuries.

12 hours a week. More in the summer but the take a break on full camp days and they are doing much more conditioning. Occasionally they might do a 4 hour practice. Coaches feel after three hours its diminishing returns and increases possible injuries.
nothing wrong with a low hour philosophy at all.
it's perfect for some athletes and their families and keeps girls in the sport who may want to do other things with their time.
but, there is a trade-off.

Our L3s are the only level that train 3 hrs at a time, all the rest of the levels are 4 hrs at a time or higher. What are the hours like for your upper levels?

I think only our level 2's go 3 hours now. Our level 3's and 4's have 2 4 hour practices and 1 5 hour practice (on a Saturday). 5's have 3 4 hour and 1 5 hours. Levels 7-9 have 4 5 hour practices. The 7-9's have a day group and an evening group and the day group does online school at the gym now. But I am pretty sure they do all the schoolwork in the morning and then practice from 11:30-4:30 or something like that. Level 10's I think have a similar schedule but longer practices.

The gym prefers to do longer practices for fewer days. I'm not sure why they do it, but I actually am happy with that philosophy. As a parent, I would much prefer my dd only be in the gym 3-4 days a week for longer hours. Both from a practicality standpoint (less times commuting for one) and just for having more family/friend time for her. It's hard to say if there are any direct consequences of the longer hours, but overall they are a pretty successful gym at all levels, including sending level 10's to Div 1 teams. No elites though (the owner/head coach isn't even interested in training elites).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back