Off Topic Twilight

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DD was dissapointed in the movie, she thought the main characters were just too white!!! Reminded me of Data from Star Trek. I am sure the authorities would've called social services in if there were five horribly anemic kids from one family in school. She really felt it was not true to the book at all.

To me it was kind of, meh........

Older dd (the non-gymmie) saw it. She tends to be pretty un-impressed w/ a lot of movies. She went only b/c her friends wanted to, not b/c she is a fan. She read the book out of curiosity also, as her friends were all obssessed.

She said the movie was 'ok'. Quote: "The guy was pretty good, the girl was terrible-she can't act".

I was afraid of that, after seeing the movie trailers. She seemed pretty fake & forced w/ her lines.

But movies are never as good as the book, which is good, since we are all better-off reading, anyway! ;)

I thought it was really true to the book. And I also expected them to look like Commander Data (heehee). The "sparkle" effect was really @$@%ing stupid, though.

Also, Carlisle was hot. And James and Laurent. Rowr.

i thought the movie was really good, and all the books :)
if you watched the movie without having read the books i can see how it would be boring.
But I personally loved it.
some parts were cheezy compared to the book and were possibly overacted but, meh.

all around i think they did a really good job of making the book into a movie. With all the hype going on about it I thought it was for sure doomed for failure, but i guess not.

I thought it was really true to the book. And I also expected them to look like Commander Data (heehee). The "sparkle" effect was really @$@%ing stupid, though.

Also, Carlisle was hot. And James and Laurent. Rowr.

k, like all the guys were so attractive in that movie :) haha

i liked the movie
i think that it was EXTREMELY funny at some parts that were supposed to be intense (ie. When Edward first smelled Bella, and that first bio class together), and the graphics were horrible(running through the forest.. jumping that looked like flying..you might as well have seen the harness!)
but i thought it was great overall
i was disappointed that they didn't use the blood typing scene
i WILL be seeing it again tho...it was VERY well cast and the story is still twilight!!
i just hope that new moon doesn't look as...low budget???

I didn't notice that the bio scene was missing until someone pointed it out to me in school today. And then I was like, "wait, they did what?" :p They should've taken out that stupid field trip scene and used that instead! -_-

The sparkle effect was as lame as lame can get. Although... wasn't he supposed to look stunningly gorgeous in the sun? Because that effect really just made him look he was covered in sand or something. :p

But other than that, I LOVED it. I'm going back to see it again in about an hour, so I'm excited. I'm dragging my mother with me this time though! :D

I'm sorry to double post here, but I REALLY wanted to share this with you guys! :]

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8LVoa0UPQ40&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8LVoa0UPQ40&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

That's me singing "Undone" by Kat Tingey. Undone is inspired by the Twilight series, listen to the lyrics and you'll see the references. :) And be sure to listen to the original version by Kat, too... because it's about 20x better than mine. Haha.

I want you young women who swoon over Edward to read this, please. It's really important.

I said more or less the same thing to my sister in law, who is an Edward fan. Man. This link could have saved me an earful. I'm a huge Jacob fan, so anything I say pertaining to Edward gets ignored.

*edit* I thought the movie was ok. You can tell it wasn't big budget. The sparkle part was indeed lame, and so was the whole 'lets sit in a tree and stare at each other' scene. I'm really hoping that the next one gets a little more production love. Pattinson and kate (can't remember her last name) need to chill a bit! Apparently they were so serious and odd during the filming that there were people hired to follow them around with the books and remind them that the characters did actually smile and have relaxed moments. I think I read that in an EW article.

Last edited:
I said more or less the same thing to my sister in law, who is an Edward fan. Man. This link could have saved me an earful. I'm a huge Jacob fan, so anything I say pertaining to Edward gets ignored.
Jacob forcibly kissed Bella AFTER she said no, which is assault. And then her father CONGRATULATES him?! That made me throw the book at the wall.

Jacob forcibly kissed Bella AFTER she said no, which is assault. And then her father CONGRATULATES him?! That made me throw the book at the wall.

As did I my friend

I want you young women who swoon over Edward to read this, please. It's really important.

OMG!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for posting this!!!! So so so so so SO true...

Good golly I could go on and on and on and on and on about WHY I hate Twilight...but that would probably be VERY long so I will save everyone that trouble...but I do plan on blogging about it as the second film approaches (YUCK!)

Sigh. It's a work of fiction, not about reality or a examination of social issues. Fake characters in a supernatural setting dealing with mystical nonsense that matters in a IMAGINARY literary world. I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea, but to list it's flaws based off of how it matches up to what's newsworthy or worrisome in real life doesn't exactly make it stand in a class by itself. May as well never read fiction or watch movies again in that case.

Bella-

Yeah she's ordinary. I think that was part of the point, she wasn't supposed to stand out in an obvious sense. Someone like Edward would find her compelling because after 100 years of reading everyones mind all the sudden she's a blank. He's a vampire, she smells like food, he's hungry. No brainer there. Once he's over the initial shock his interest in her remains no more than curiosity for awhile. Pretty worth the effort to figure her out in his situation no matter how much anybody thinks she'd be the most boring Saturday night partner ever.

Edward-

Yes he's controlling. He's also slightly more knowledgable about the unique dangers and necessities of his life/prescence/whatever than Bella is. He doesn't want her bumbling into killing herself. He also doesn't want her thinking she can throw away her human years because hey whatever 'the Volturi sez I r Vampyr buy next Yeer gusy!' She was whining about college and stalling. Well he's been to college how many times? Lets not pretend he should have turned her into a vampire and let her final memories be high school; or that she would have gone to Stanford after he chose Dartmouth. So he left in New Moon. Big deal, the book before that made it clear that the decision to do that wasn't based on a whim, or easily.

Bella is clumsy and prone to getting herself hurt. Not an assumption, but fact the author stated too many times. One of my annoyances with the book was hearing that over and over. It stands to reason that Edward might be hyper-aware of her biological fragility since he's a immortal. Oh and hey he's watched her almost die in front of his face just a couple (sarcasm alert) times. If he's overbearing on safety, it didn't come from hypothetical situations. Homeboy has enough first hand experience to worry needfully in her case. Anybody who thinks in real life that they could watch someone they love almost die a few times and not worry more about them after is lying. Add to that that she almost dies because of her very association with Edward, and how can he not help but feel responsible and try to avoid it in the future?

Jacob-

Okay, just get to get this out, I'm team Jacob. I liked him WAY better than Edward. I don't mind Edward, he and Bella belong together blah blah blah, but Jacob is hilarious, and generally more likable. He and Rosalie are L-O-L!

Bella and Jacob. She was doing her manipulative 'hey jacob likes me *teehee* lets fix motorcycles and hold hands!' act when Edward left. As long as we're talking about despicable male behavior lets not overlook that female lameness on her part. Breaking Dawn clearly and many times states that there was an attraction between the two of them that was in part something they didn't understand. Renesmee's appearance gives them clarity that they BOTH acknowledge in the book.

Even without that, Jacob was grasping at straws, as terrible as they may seem, to keep her away from a fate he's spending his life fighting against. Desperate attempt to thwart fate. I think he'd rather kiss her and risk the slap than know that where her life is going will probably end up putting him against her. At that point in the book, there is no reason to think Jacob knew things would work out so he feels he needs to try anything and everything. As far as he knew she was going to end up a vampire and his mortal enemy. He wasn't some hormonal teenager angstily pawing at a random girl. He was her best friend and was trying to throw out anything that would make her second guess a unnatural existence. One that's not only his enemy, but not having had a choice himself maybe he wanted her to know and appreciate her own decision process. Not a random jerk to me, sorry.

Jacob was written very articulately and he's a pretty simple guy. VERY strong ties to family, tradition, and friendship. Not a idiot looking to freak out or piss off every girl he's around. When Bella was giggling away during the motorcycle days, he behaved himself perfectly well. All the sudden Edward comes back and the playing field is not level. Bella can't take away all that time and pretend nothing would have happened if Edward hadn't have come back, though it's clear she's trying like hell to prove that to everyone around her. Edward doesn't like Jacob AT ALL and even he appreciates that he wasn't there for what was between them at the time and doesn't kill him or react insanely.

In summation: I liked Harry Potter better. I like my Vampires more violent and action packed, not warm and fuzzy. I don't like (practically) every other line in a book about oogling a guy. LOVED Alice, Jacob and Emmett were funny, and though I couldn't stand Rosalie at first I came around once her history was explained. I do think the story was complicated and thought out enough to be interesting. Not Pulitzer material, but a great way to kill some time.

I wouldn't be an English major if I didn't believe that fiction impacts reality and reflects social issues of the time that it was written.

Just saying. Continue with the Twilight talk.

I wouldn't be an English major if I didn't believe that fiction impacts reality and reflects social issues of the time that it was written.

Just saying. Continue with the Twilight talk.

It's part of our culture sure. If we're going to hold fiction accountable for bad things in society I sure wouldn't start with Twilight is what I'm saying. It's like saying you're going to crack down on crime by staking out 7-11's with swat teams over candy bar shop lifters.

Last edited:
I never said that fiction should be held "accountable for bad things in society"-- just observing that there is a much closer tie between fiction and reality than one might think. However, this link is insidious and would be best analyzed in about 50 years, when people are further removed from the ideology of a given time. My concern is not at all about Twilight being a direct cause of domestic violence or whatever; the fact that young teenagers still dream about Jacob and Edward does concern me. Anyway, off to Nationals, so I'll stop my quasi-theoretical rambling.

Linsul, check out the Southern Vampire Mysteries (the Sookie Stackhouse books) by Charlaine Harris. They're well-written (imo Twilight is not), and vampires who are, well, vampires (I think Meyer really screwed with the mythos - vampires DO NOT sparkle, and they cannot survive sunlight, dangit). They're also incredibly funny, and there are more supernatural creatures.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back