Parents Twin Mom--need advice!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Is it possible to keep A at the current gym and move L to another gym? That might help avoid a lot of instances of direct competition, assuming it was even remotely possible to find two places where the schedule matched up okay.

I would do this, or, if that is too hard to pull off logistically, take them both to a gym that has both an Excel/Rec-team program and a USAG program and that way L and A will both have options for team. I agree with the others, it sounds to me like they see L as a rec gymnast more than a competitive gymnast. If she is set on being on team, she'll need to go another route.

It might not be a bad idea for her to try out other sports too though. I could see how, as they get older, it might be hard for L to be in the shadow of A, gymnastically, given that they are twins.

It's like that movie "He's just not that into you" ;) This gym just isn't into my sweet girl and quite frankly that's their loss.
Hahahaha

I totally agree with so many of you that she could totally turn into a fabulous gymnast. She just needs a chance. She certainly is learning to work hard. And she's tough--mentally and physically.

We actually do have a small bar and beam at our house so I could start conditioning with her at home more.
We are blessed to live in an area with several other gym choices.
As much as I love our place I love my girls more. If they don't see her potential and worth I will find a place that does. ;)

Thanks again.

No other advice to give but wanted to wish you good luck in your search for the right program for your DD. My DD started gym older (8) and was given a chance to compete! She has really shined this season and I am thankful that we are at a gym that has let her. I know there are many gyms that would have never even considered her based soley on her age!

I know there are many gyms that would have never even considered her based soley on her age!

My DD started at 6.5 and I had the same experience with the first gym we went to. Well respected gym, good team, high level gymnasts, etc. They would not even consider her/let her try out or even be on pre-team. Said she was too old and that they wanted their gymnasts in their Tiny Team program by age 3 or 4. So....we went on our merry way and found another gym that invited her to pre-team immediately and then moved her to team 4 months later. Fast forward 2.5 years...she did L4 last year and did very well. Did L5 in the fall and L6 this winter and again did very well. She can already do giants, layouts and is training with the goal of competing the new L7 next year.

I was slightly offended by Gym 1 because I could see the potential in her, but honestly I didn't want her to be coached by folks that didn't really want her (really wouldn't even look at her). She is amazing and if they couldn't see that, well...that is their loss. Current coach has coached many Elites and is very, very pleased with her progress and is very happy Gym 1 turned us away!!

So...I would look around and see what you can find. You might be pleasantly surprised and find a better situation for both your girls at a different gym.

Good luck! :)

you're in for a ride if they stay in gymnastics. i have coached several twins, girl/girl, boy/girl/ and boy/boy and even 3 sets of triplets over the years. of course...none of them will progress at the same rate. NONE!

my advice? encourage them the same. double time! :)

I would move them both as soon as your season is over. And not to a gym with a "caste system" unless it is STRICTLY based on interest levels of the girls. I totally believe in the lower-commitment teams ... but I'm extremely opposed to a child being shunted into a rec team based on her body type at 7yo instead of her interest level. There's no reason that un-shiny girls shouldn't get the same training and shouldn't be expected to succeed at optionals if the interest is there and the drive develops.

If you move one and not the other -- well, my suspicion is that this gym has an ego about their team performances in compulsories or they wouldn't be acting like this. And if your second daughter beats half or more of their team next year, things will not go well for first daughter.

Like I said before she's very coordinated. A very hard worker. Can do all the basics (cartwheel, handstand, forward/backward rolls, pullover on bar, hip circle, soul circle).

I'm pretty sure that any kid in our rec program, who had the above skills, would be given a chance for team. A mill circle is a hard one to get, especially for a child that only comes once or twice a week. It sounds like you're doing all you can...maybe taking Twin B to another gym for an evaluation would be helpful. Good luck!

I would move them both as soon as your season is over. And not to a gym with a "caste system" unless it is STRICTLY based on interest levels of the girls. I totally believe in the lower-commitment teams ... but I'm extremely opposed to a child being shunted into a rec team based on her body type at 7yo instead of her interest level. There's no reason that un-shiny girls shouldn't get the same training and shouldn't be expected to succeed at optionals if the interest is there and the drive develops.

THANK-YOU!!! I think you are exactly right on!!! Maybe I needed to hear that. As her mom I owe it to her to try my hardest to get her every opportunity that she truly desires. Our society puts enough pressure on our precious girls to fit into a certain mold of what they should look like. I hate that and I certainly don't want to teach my girls they are inhibited by the body God gave them. Both of them deserve the same chances and opportunities.

Thank you again!!! ;)

I'm pretty sure that any kid in our rec program, who had the above skills, would be given a chance for team. A mill circle is a hard one to get, especially for a child that only comes once or twice a week. It sounds like you're doing all you can...maybe taking Twin B to another gym for an evaluation would be helpful. Good luck![/QUOTE]

Thank you!!!! I'm so glad to know this. I was thinking maybe I'm being naive or unrealistic. I'm really glad to know there are other programs out there that she would be given a chance. Thank you so much!!

I dont have twins but I have 2 kids who both do gymnastics. They are different and have developed their sport differently, and both are finding their own success. Our gym would give any child a chance regardless of body type. Good luck in finding the answers to making both of your kids dreams come true.

Thank you so much!!!
Thanks to you all and your encouragement we are checking out a new gym this afternoon. The head coach sounds so nice and I am so hopeful this may be a much better fit for us.
Thank you!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back