Coaches Twisting ... going from full to 1 1/2 ...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

Bumblebee462

Okay I would like to hear some tips on twisting going from back full to back one and a half ...

Full bounce half until they can do it. Lot's of trampoline.

Just throwing it out there.....

How about a good full that finishes no later than 270 degrees of salto, done with slightly open arms, like not tightly held in.

Work a bunch of late turn half twists, and when the half is mindless, add that motion to the full by bring the arms in a bit tighter as the twist gets to about 270 degrees.

I'm a bit of a throwback to the old days of the "set it and forget it" style of twist, and am caught wondering if the late twisting methods do as much good as people say. So does the late twist solve legitimate problems, or is it just a second method that works for some people, but not for others.

Okay I would like to hear some tips on twisting going from back full to back one and a half ...
How did you get the half, how did you get the full? Seems like you are on the right path, so I would encourage you to continue on the same path, as it seems to be working for you both. I generally don't change the technique until doing doubles or more. Good luck. :)

BB; Specifically: Decreasing the radius of the arms affects the speed of the angular momentum. Lots of opinions on the way to bring the arms in towards the athletes CM. 1/1 to 1 1/2 - Pull faster a small bit earlier. The timing of pulling and opening is a practiced timing.

Resources: USAG has a great article on twisting basics. I use this as a resource when speaking to back twisting with our staff.

http://usagym.org/pages/home/publications/technique/2009/04/06_twist.pdf

I have taken a couple of clinics from Larry Gleason who's USAG article is here: https://usagym.org/pages/home/publications/technique/2002/3/twistdirection.pdf Another excellent resource although focuses on tramp.

Practical: I learned to relate the the arm movements as a lift, release and circle & snap action. Most of the time in the gym I speak to the athletes about lift (height of salto) and then appropriate timing and amount of snap for the skill. Lots of tramp/TubleTrak or rod floor works wonders. The standard caveat applies that if the athlete does not have (1) strong layout (2) tight shape (3) strong finish skills (tight gluts and lifting chest) twisting is "sketchy." I watched "sketchy" 1 1/2's at last weekends meet and the girls just drilled themselves into the FX mat. It prompted me to write a note to myself to work strong layout finishes as warm-ups with my USAG L8's this week.

I hope I have assisted.

Best, SBG -

Closed the above post too early - apologies to readers.

For the detailed and curious:
I did wish to include as a resource this excellent article by the esteemed Bill Sands on twist direction were he wrote that very little correlation exists between eye dominance and twist direction (differs from an original study by Brown et al 1983) and it appears that the majority of gymnasts who do a round off with a particular first-hand will twist in the same direction as that hand (in his study).

http://usagym.org/pages/home/publications/technique/2000/2/twistdirection.pdf

Always curious, SBG -

Full bounce half until they can do it. Lot's of trampoline.
Closed the above post too early - apologies to readers.

For the detailed and curious:
I did wish to include as a resource this excellent article by the esteemed Bill Sands on twist direction were he wrote that very little correlation exists between eye dominance and twist direction (differs from an original study by Brown et al 1983) and it appears that the majority of gymnasts who do a round off with a particular first-hand will twist in the same direction as that hand (in his study).

http://usagym.org/pages/home/publications/technique/2000/2/twistdirection.pdf

Always curious, SBG -
THANKS!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back