Twitching before falling asleep?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

BachFlyer

Proud Parent
This is more just for curiosity's sake than anything, but do any of your little gym stars twitch as they are falling asleep or while they are sleeping? My dd twitches excessively almost every night as she's falling asleep, and it can go on for an hour or so sometimes. It is like she's still doing gymnastics in her sleep! I'm not really concerned, I figure her muscles are just having a hard time getting to a resting state, but it does makes me laugh a little. I wonder what she's doing in her mind while this is going on!! It doesn't seem to bother her, she says she doesn't notice. It does make it difficult when she climbs in bed with me though. :)

You really should bring this up to the pediatrician. And video it to show him/her because trying to explain a twitch is really hard - I know, I've been there. There are SO many different kinds and they all mean something different - including nothing to worry about at all. It is not to alarm you - If she has been doing it for a while now and is developing fine (presumably since she is in gymnastics), it's not something you have to rush her to the dr. for but it deserves a trip in the next couple of weeks. There are conditions that include types of twitching that need to be monitored and/or medicated. In some situations, it can affect her sleep quality, which will eventually affect her daytime functioning. Better to get it checked than continue to wonder about it.

DS had this really bad when he was younger and as he got older, it settled down. He still does it if he is moved while he is sleeping.

I'm so glad you asked this question. Both my kids do this (boy and girl both in gymnastics). These twitches can be very large jerks as they are falling asleep. I too assumed they are just still doing gymnastics in their heads.

with both my wife and myself being former gymnasts, we used to 'punch', 'block' and 'kick' the crap out of each other early on in our marriage. now we wake up laughing when we clock each other and fall back to sleep. not as bad as a few years ago but still occasionally happens. gymnastics NEVER leaves you...:)

LOL. All of us in the family does this. I would say it's normal. The twitching has something to do with the way the muscles and brain interact while putting the body to sleep. Usually happens in the beginning stages of the sleep cycle. DD has serious twitching relating to gymnastics, but as a child, I used to kick (apparently) b/c of soccer. DH had them after deployment. Usually we find that it's always related to some dream we were having that night.

Doesn't have anything to do w/gymnastics. It's part of the process of getting into that REM sleep. All of my kids AND hubby do it... thank goodness we finally got a sleep number bed and I can't tell when he's jumping around now1

I do it too and I have never flipped in my life. I am single and joke with my friends that if I ever get married the guy will have to go to sleep wearing shin guards. For now, I just kick my blankets into knots.

I didn't know this happened to other people! Haha sometimes I twitch so big that when I just have fallen asleep it wakes me up and scares me. I never associated it with gymnastics but it makes since to me! :)

Thanks for your answers everyone! Dunno, I laughed out loud at your answer - I do hope you two haven't done any permanent damage!! LOL :) I do twitch occassionally too, but not to the extent of my dd. When I do it, I wake up with a start, feeling like I'm falling. I wonder sometimes how she can possibly stay asleep, but I guess she's pretty tired from so much exercise (unlike me).

My son does this as well, for about the first hour after falling asleep, sometimes during sleep, and sometimes starting up again about an hour or so before he wakes up. I first noticed it last summer when he was sleeping in our room while his ceiling was being repaired due to water damage...and I noticed a big increase the week they switched over to the summer schedule and he started practicing 3 hours a day, 4 days in a row. At first, I was petrified that he was having seizures. But I noticed that if I poked at him or moved him the twitching would stop and he would kind of stretch and roll over and settle back into sleep. He sleeps like a rock and wakes up well rested, so I'm not worried about it.

DD is a huge twitcher when she sleeps...sometimes she even wakes up. I am sure she feels much better knowing others do it.

As to the cocaing in your sleep...dont you have recorded messages you can use.....LOL

The kids that I train "twitch in their sleep" way better than your daughter, and your's, and your's, and..........but who cares when you're cocaing in their sleep. Oh!, and don't wake me until I spot this kids multi twist double arabian...........on the beeeeeammm!!!.

that's right...and don't wake me up until i've landed my quad quad that i always wanted to do but only dreamed about.:):)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back