Parents Two travel meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yes. Definitely doing one in Idaho but we have no desire to go to So. Cali again...been so many times... doesn’t seem like a good use of money and unfair to our other kids. They would rather do many other things besides a gym meet and Disney... we are the abnormal family who doesn’t care for theme parks.

Not the only abnormal family. We went to a meet in Orlando and felt pressured to go to the Magic Kingdom by our friends -- not ones who were with us. We all hated it.

Our gym briefly considered a meet in California and I asked my kids what they'd like to do there and they chose the National Parks. No need to go to Disney.

Our gym is going to have one optional travel meet a year, that will hopefully rotate from place to place. It is open to all levels, in part because we need a certain number of girls to go to make it cost effective. Most of our girls are Xcel and regionals was very far away this year (12 hour drive), and will be next year too (16 hour drive). Which means for people who want to do the whole season, next year's going to be very pricey. I hope regionals comes within a reasonable drive for a few years after that!

We always try and make a mini-vacation out of travel gym meets or my son's travel golf tournaments. It's a nice combo of vacation/competition. The golf tournaments are a bit different b/c we choose which ones he does as opposed to a set gym schedule. We also live in So Cal, and there is SO much more here than Disney! :)

Reactions: sce
We always had travel meets, from Level 3 up. We loved it, it was exciting for the kids, and got us out of the usual competitors around us and against some new, fresh teams. We had travel such as 2-, 3-, and 4-hour drives during Level 3. Level 4 added a trip about 5 hours away. Level 5 added a meet we had to fly to. Yes, it's a lot, but gym is a lot! In every way!

We always had travel meets, from Level 3 up. We loved it, it was exciting for the kids, and got us out of the usual competitors around us and against some new, fresh teams. We had travel such as 2-, 3-, and 4-hour drives during Level 3. Level 4 added a trip about 5 hours away. Level 5 added a meet we had to fly to. Yes, it's a lot, but gym is a lot! In every way!

Almost all of our in-state meets are 2-5 hours away, so we don’t consider those travel meets! We did one meet in Gatlinburg, TN this year but it took about the same amount of time as the most popular in state meet in Ohio. I would honestly only consider a meet a travel meet if it required 7-8 hour drive or a flight!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back