WAG Typical first year level 10 bars, beam, floor, vault

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flicfliclay

Proud Parent
Hello everyone, I thought i would start a thread that is not talking about Covid-19 or sadly banned coaches. So here i am wondering what are typical routines done by 1st year level 10's? I do know that this can vary, i just thought it might be fun to actually talk gymnastics skill right now to ease minds of all the not so fun things going on! So let me know what your level 10 did or is doing for their first year level 10!

My daughter isn't a level 10 (she's training level 9 right now), so I can't comment on that. But I'm looking forward to reading the responses to see what we have to look forward to!

I love it! No COVID or banned coaches.:D Mine is doing another year of level 9. She doesn't have a major single rail release move on bars yet or a twisting vault, so that's why she's going to repeat. I have heard that it is actually easier to construct routines to meet level 10 requirements than it is for level 9, so I'm interested to hear other people's experiences.

I love it! No COVID or banned coaches.:D Mine is doing another year of level 9. She doesn't have a major single rail release move on bars yet or a twisting vault, so that's why she's going to repeat. I have heard that it is actually easier to construct routines to meet level 10 requirements than it is for level 9, so I'm interested to hear other people's experiences.
Honestly i am just tired of seeing COVID and banned coach stuff, although i am not condemning anyone that loves talking about that. I've just had my fill of it and really loved being able to catch up on skill talk and stuff on here in the past! My daughter most likely will not twist on vault her first year.. its in the works, but doubt it will be ready to compete. She also has a single rail, but most likely won't use it her first year. I do know level 9 was so confusing to me about sv's! I don't know much about level 10 construction either! LOL! I hope someone replies wit the differences too!

feel free to add in what your level 9 is doing! It's always fun to talk skills!

I like talking about skills too! I'll tell you what my dd is *planning on*. She's pretty close to having everything, mainly working on consistency right now.

Vault: Yurchenko layout (her coach is taking it pretty slow. But she had a yurchenko pike in level 8 and she said she's pretty close)
Bars: She's working on a blind half I think it's called and a bail/shootover. She already had a double back dismount and might do a clear hip handstand before it, but not sure. She has all the skills, but hasn't done an entire routine yet. She has a couple of options to get her bonuses, but I think she'll have a 10.0 start value.
Beam: BHS/BLOSO series, Switch leap/split half, front aerial and RO 3/2 dismount
Floor: RO/3/2 twist/FP, FHS/Front Full, FHS/FLO/FT or FP (I forget), double turn, switch leap and ring leap and a front aerial

Great topic! I’m realizing that I’m totally out of touch with skills at the moment but will chime in anyway. Mine is hoping to go 10, though who knows.

vault: I think her gym prefers yurchenko fulls but will let them compete a layout if that’s what they have.

beam: she’s working a bunch of stuff but it feels like maybe the only upgrades from L9 are the turn and dismount. How does this sound: BHS-BLO, front or side aerial connected to something, switch leap to something, leg up turn or 1.5, and dismount of round off to double twist layout? Is that enough?

floor: I think round off BHS doublepike, RO BHS 2.5, then either RO 1.5 + front something OR (do they need a front pass?) FHS lay lay? This is kind of a guess.

bars - the kicker - What she wants: bail to HS to toe full to toe shoot (I think there are different names for that.) Her coach seems to want her to do a toe full to dismount (say Double pike) but apparently that’s been hard. Working a Maloney but not certain if it’s a must for L10? Maybe blind change in there? Seems like upgraded dismount will need to be achieved at some point but not sure that’s happening at the moment.

I think in years past the routines and levels would be more set by now but it feels like they are very much still in training mode.

Would love to hear if the above is in the ballpark for a first year L10.

Great topic! I’m realizing that I’m totally out of touch with skills at the moment but will chime in anyway. Mine is hoping to go 10, though who knows.

vault: I think her gym prefers yurchenko fulls but will let them compete a layout if that’s what they have.

beam: she’s working a bunch of stuff but it feels like maybe the only upgrades from L9 are the turn and dismount. How does this sound: BHS-BLO, front or side aerial connected to something, switch leap to something, leg up turn or 1.5, and dismount of round off to double twist layout? Is that enough?

floor: I think round off BHS doublepike, RO BHS 2.5, then either RO 1.5 + front something OR (do they need a front pass?) FHS lay lay? This is kind of a guess.

bars - the kicker - What she wants: bail to HS to toe full to toe shoot (I think there are different names for that.) Her coach seems to want her to do a toe full to dismount (say Double pike) but apparently that’s been hard. Working a Maloney but not certain if it’s a must for L10? Maybe blind change in there? Seems like upgraded dismount will need to be achieved at some point but not sure that’s happening at the moment.

I think in years past the routines and levels would be more set by now but it feels like they are very much still in training mode.

Would love to hear if the above is in the ballpark for a first year L10.
OMG I love you already because you sound just like me when describing skills! Ha ha! I can never remember or name the something to the something!
I will try and type out what my daughter is doing, but I am not even sure i know the names or can remember what goes where, but i will give it a try!
Vault- most likely a layout. She has been working a full, but then moved back to a half and has been going back and forth, therefore i am guessing a layout will be what she does.
Bars- mount to highbar, kip cast clear hip to handstand to bail handstand, two foot ? to toe shoot something to double lay dismount? or she could do blind front giant to double back..
Beam- backhandspring mount, flic flic lay, aerial, turn of some kind, switch half side something?, round-off 1 1/2 dismount
Floor- double back, ( might do a whip before), round off 1 1/2 front pike, switch side popa? double turn, and either a doulbe full or 2 1/2 and maybe whip before that?
geez i sound awful i know, but thats all i got. ha ha

Ok, I have a question about the floor skills. I’m seeing some of our girls do a round off into a 1.5 to front pike or tuck, but others do RO back handspring 1.5 front tuck or pike. Is it harder to do the 1.5 front tuck out of a round off? I’m just wondering if that might count as a bonus connection whereas doing it from the back handspring does not. I’m just curious.

Ok, I have a question about the floor skills. I’m seeing some of our girls do a round off into a 1.5 to front pike or tuck, but others do RO back handspring 1.5 front tuck or pike. Is it harder to do the 1.5 front tuck out of a round off? I’m just wondering if that might count as a bonus connection whereas doing it from the back handspring does not. I’m just curious.

At dd's gym, they do the RO without the BHS because their coach thinks it's easier to twist out of it. I don't think there is any value difference, but she just teaches them that way. I could ask my daughter if she knows why once she gets back from practice..

d's first L10 yr was 6 yrs ago so I am not sure these are still relevant. I know she was less competitive in VT/Fx even back then. She was injured a good part of that season (every L10 season really) so she often had modified routines but these were her anticipated routines

vt: Yurchenko pike/LO

bars: kip-jump to hb-kip CHS-1/2 turn-bail HS-toeHS-toeHS-toe catch-kip HS- Clearhip HS-double back

beam: full turn; bhs-blo; swith leap-bt; 1/2 turn; front aerial; sous-sous (sp?)- full split 3/4; bhs-1.5 tuck DM

floor: 2.5 turn; fhs-flo full; split jump full; fhs-flo-fpike; switch ring-switch half split; split full-middle split full; ro-bhs-1.5lo-ft

I don't think there is a bonus for having the bhs in there. It really depends on the gymnast. My d had trouble going from a RO to a salto so she had the bhs in between. Now she avoids bhs on fx because it stresses her achilles.

What i do know is that doing a tuck out instead of a pike is not the same value. ask me how i know? LOL

Mine is planning to do 1st year L10, if there are competitions in our state. She's already done 2 years of L9 and as a 10th grader this year, just wants to move onto 10 even if she doesn't compete all the events or they are not the best. Vault - Yurchenko LO ( she was hoping to start twisting it, but her pit is not open), Bars - Pirouette to shootover, clearhip+toe on+ toe hecht, giant double tuck. Beam - switch leap + split 3/4, back tuck+ split leap, double twist, working front toss +bhs (doubtful that will be ready). Floor double turn, wolf full + split full, double pike, front full + FLO or BHS +3/2 + FP, 2/1 or 2.5 twist.

Mine is planning to do 1st year L10, if there are competitions in our state. She's already done 2 years of L9 and as a 10th grader this year, just wants to move onto 10 even if she doesn't compete all the events or they are not the best. Vault - Yurchenko LO ( she was hoping to start twisting it, but her pit is not open), Bars - Pirouette to shootover, clearhip+toe on+ toe hecht, giant double tuck. Beam - switch leap + split 3/4, back tuck+ split leap, double twist, working front toss +bhs (doubtful that will be ready). Floor double turn, wolf full + split full, double pike, front full + FLO or BHS +3/2 + FP, 2/1 or 2.5 twist.
Looks pretty good to me, but i get lost on the whole floor 3/2 2/1 thing LOL! Good luck to your daughter! Would you guys be able to go out of state for comps?

At dd's gym, they do the RO without the BHS because their coach thinks it's easier to twist out of it. I don't think there is any value difference, but she just teaches them that way. I could ask my daughter if she knows why once she gets back from practice..
You are correct no difference when it comes to scoring. Acro skills on floor must be saltos or aerials to get connection bonus.

Would you guys be able to go out of state for comps?
Our gym is planning to go out of state for meets, but I don't feel that is right for my family, so we would stay home. I'm not even sure how I feel about meets in state or judging meets or really everything in general right now.

Our gym is planning to go out of state for meets, but I don't feel that is right for my family, so we would stay home. I'm not even sure how I feel about meets in state or judging meets or really everything in general right now.
That is understandable. I am all for meets season, i do expect there to be some guidelines as far as how many parents can watch etc. Mine is going to gym now and i don't see much of a difference competing at a venue that has been scrubbed down. Now i won't say that i am a bit worried about those parents that have kids that are symptomatic and have them come to comps because they already paid for them.

I was having kind of a fun time trying to remember what my daughter did- it has been a few years- she’s in college now.

Vault: yurchenko 1 1/2
Bars: blind 1/2, bail to HS - not positive if she went to HS first year- jaeger, double back dismount - she was not at a 10.0 start though
Beam- triple series BHS BHS BLO, 1 1/2 dismount. Supposed to do an aerial but never got it consistently. Also not a 10.0 start value
Floor: Full in, FHS-FLO-1 1/2, double back

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back