Parents Uggh....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ughhh sorry you are gong through this. And so close to state meet. My initial thoughts would be to stay at the current gym. You picked it for a reason and presumably that reason has not changed. However, with your additional information, I am more torn. I am confused as to why you switched in the first place. Usually a scheduling issue is not grounds for switching gyms for a L7 gymnast, especially if the gymnast is well established in that gym. So I would think that the other reasons held more power in the decision. You may have made the decision on those terms but the old coach would have seen it completely differently. Second, if there are no true plans at your current gym to hire a new coach and build their optional program I don't see this as a viable option for your dd long term. I hate the thought of uprooting her just before states but to be honest, she would have less upheaval switching her to the old gym with the coach she is now used to than staying with the HC whom she barely works with... Tough decision to be sure. I would make it a point to get up with the HC and see what his plans are for the current gym. If they don't match yours, pull her now.

I'm a little concerned that the departing coach took the team with him, and is actively recruiting your daughter to follow. It's not ethical for one thing. If there is a real issue at your new gym, I could understand, but otherwise that's not good thing in my book. Also, would the reason you left the old gym still be an issue? That is a concern. Do you like the gym you're at? Is there any safety issue or reason you think you should leave other than the coach leaving? I've learned over the years that coaches and teammates come and go, unfortunately, but that's the nature of the sport. We always took a wait-and-see approach when there was a big change or a problem, and they always worked themselves out. I wish you the best with all of this.

I would not stay with your current gym solely based upon the fact that this coach may not agree to take DD. What kind of gym takes a level 7, and does not commit to training her as far as she can go? I honestly have never heard of such a thing. We have a large Level 7 team (13 girls) and the coaches are as committed to the 38+ 10 year old as they are to the 34.0 14 year old. There is no question they will be able to repeat 7 or do 8 next year. Each child is permitted her own rate of advancement. There has to be something better for DD. I would pursue the coach that left, and if that doesn't feel right, find a new gym. The fact that there is is even a question that he will "accept her" is just a huge red flag. She is a child and teammate in his gym. Why would he do otherwise?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back