Ugh NBC

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was able to go right to their website and read the article. It's about her nickname, but also the evolution of her floor routine and how she got started in gym when she was younger. I enjoyed the article.

I was able to go right to their website and read the article. It's about her nickname, but also the evolution of her floor routine and how she got started in gym when she was younger. I enjoyed the article.
I enjoyed the article too. I just wish they had given it a different headline. Everything on NBC's part feels very artificial to me. (Yes, I know that NBC didn't make up either nickname. It's the pushing of the nicknames that bothers me)

eh, just read the article, mostly just a little harmless fluff. I looked at her floor routine again. What she does not have (contrary to what TV announcers like to claim) is great dance skill or form, in truth a lot of it is posey posey. It doesn't matter though, what she DOES have is loads of personality expressed in her floor routine that can draw in a crowd, and great rhythm and flexibility. That's all she needs for gymnastics "dance" and it's fun to watch her. Argh the flexed wrists though too too much of it.. Her lines would be better without constantly flexed wrists. Doubt she thinks about that much, it's a habit learned early. And she definitely didn't learn that in the ballet class the article mentioned, I'll bet she learned that habit from a gymnastics coach.

I enjoyed the article too. I just wish they had given it a different headline. Everything on NBC's part feels very artificial to me. (Yes, I know that NBC didn't make up either nickname. It's the pushing of the nicknames that bothers me)
Agreed, it's very much about the story. Nicknames and personas are pushed by the media as a way to create interest I suppose. They love to put people in "boxes."

Not taking anything away from Laurie. She is very expressive and have a big personality, which people are drawn to. But, not all of that in her floor routine is her.

I heard an interview with Maggie and Laurie from a few years ago and they said that every inch of her routines, including her facial expressions and every finger are choreographed.

If you watch their JO gymnasts they all have that same style in varying degrees.

I agree that it's choreographed and well choreographed at that. But I still don't think she could pull it off without an amazing personality/sass factor that seems to come natural to her. I recognized that quality about her instantly after seeing her the first time, and it's b/c my dd has that exact same sassy personality lol. Last year the girls on dd's team had a Micheal Jackson routine. The routines were one choreographed routine and they all did the exact same one. However, with my dd and one other girl, they just really got out and enjoyed it and showed their personalities every time and it was a big difference between those two and the ones who were just doing the moves, they even had other gym's coaches come up and comment on how entertaining they were and asked if they could borrow some of their "sass" lol. However, the tables have turned this year, and it's a more classic, dramatic type song, and there are a couple of gymnasts on our team that are just naturally very graceful and elegant (and that is not my dd lol) so she will be the one who has to work harder for that floor routine this year. You can learn to be graceful but it's not the same as the ones it comes naturally too. Just like you can learn super sassy dance moves, but you can't learn that natural personality to go with them. Laurie's floor routines just explodes with natural personality and it's just infectious, it's no wonder she is a crowd favorite!

Ugh! Some of the drama is too much. I do LOVE Roudy Gains and most of the swimming coverage. It's nice that the winner is the fastest. The only politics is who gets on the relay.

Last edited:
Trautwig's comment was hurtful, insensitive, and factually incorrect. Shame on him. Good that he deleted it, but it never should have been said/posted in the first place.

Not sure if this link works (again, not my best skill) but here's an apology:

NBC's Al Trautwig apologizes for comments on Simone Biles' parents - USA TODAY
https://apple.news/AyhqRmEfzTumsI3ZjE2DymQ

Here's a quote from the article:

"Trautwig was reviled by some gymnastics fans even before the controversy on Sunday night, and he is often derided on the corner of social media known as the Gymternet."

Ugh! Some of the drama is too much. I do LOVE Roudy Gains and most of the swimming coverage. It's nice that the winner is the fastest. The only politics is who gets on the relay.

And allowing an athlete from Russia with two positive doping tests+suspension in the past compete in the Olympics... :(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back