Parents ugh, salter-harris fractures, anyone?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

profmom

Proud Parent
DD has just been diagnosed with a Salter-Harris fracture in her foot. We'll be seeing an orthopedist hopefully on Monday. The urgent care folks said it does not look like a bad one. Has anyone had a child go through one of these? I guess if nothing else, she'll get a lot better on bars!

I feel terrible, because she hurt it about two weeks ago. It wasn't bothering her much and seemed to be getting better. But then it started getting worse, so we finally took her in today and got the X ray. :(

So sorry. Hope you get some good news at the ortho. And...all that bars work will be good.

I have to say, DS recently got his cast off for a fractured elbow and then had 2 more weeks of reduced activity (so 5 weeks of mostly only conditioning). His coach was telling me just today that he is doing better now than he was before the cast (he has been back for about 1.5 weeks at full workouts). I think all of that conditioning definitely helped him!!

I hope the break isn't too bad. DS fractured his ankle back in the spring (both of these have been playground injuries!). It was fractured at a growth plate; but it is apparently a growth plate that most people don't have, for an extra bone that he has in his foot (we found out that he has 2 extra bones). He was in a boot for 3 or 4 weeks I think, then 2 weeks of reduced activity.

Now that I think about it, this poor kids sure has had a lot of extra conditioning this year. LOL!

no biggie. a boot and a couple of weeks rest. now off to bars! :)

Yes, when DD broke both her foot and her finger, she got crazy strong with all that conditioning. It didn't take her long to come back. Healing vibes...

Haha, nobody can do too much bars or too much core strength, right?

Yeah, and when she gets bored with that she can go over to beam for a bajillion handstands of every imaginable variety. If she still has time left she can always lay on a padded beam and try to maintain control while slowly moving a random arm or leg out to one side or the other. Balance plus core work and time spent on beam, no matter what the position, is always going to help.

Oh, I almost forgot...... flexibility work for her legs and shoulders.

So sorry to hear. I will say that every girl in our gym who have had to be off their feet fot an extended period of time end up being fabulous bar workers long term afterwards. So there IS an upside, even if it doesn't feel like it right now :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back