Parents Uh-oh, body image issues

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

my4buffaloes

Proud Parent
My daughter is 9, almost 10. I never thought she even thought about her body. I discovered this weekend that she thinks she is fat. I guess she has been talking to my son about it a lot, always complaining about being fat. Now if you saw my daughter the last thing anyone would think is fat. There isn't an ounce of fat on her. She is only in the 10-15% for both height and weight, so this totally baffles me.

I don't know where this came from (possibly my niece who has for years thought she was too fat - but again not fat at all), but I don't know, we don't see them that much. I just don't really know how to handle it. She cried when I talked to her about it and was embarrassed to have me know.

What should I do or say? Are there any good books out there I can get to help her? I really don't want this being an issue and especially not developing into something more. In my mind, the last people on earth who should worry about their body weight, proportions, fitness levels, etc are gymnasts, yet I am discovering the opposite is true. Please help!

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

Body image and eating disorders are very serious discussions and really should be handled with your dd's pediatrician. I do know that there are some good threads on here regarding healthy eating so I will try to find them for you and repost. If you are concerned then you should really speak to her doctor about it.

Thread closed, this is an issue for the doctor and not for the CB. We cannot air these topics with our youngers members around. I deleted the threads after MD posted the link to our nutrtion thread.

THanks for understanding.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back