Parents Uh, oh can anyone advise please(kind of long)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

motigymnasticsmom

Proud Parent
Well, dd is struggling in gymnastics and I ask her last month if she needed a break. She's been doing it since she's 7 and for 7 years with no vacations(just small ones). She then replied that she wanted to try to do cheer(9th grade high school teenager), so, I said she could only try out for H.S. next spring because her father and I don't want her to do travel cheer. So, we talked with gymnastics coach and then tried a cheer place near our business and she spoke with the head coach at school. The cheer gym was happy to have her on board as a back base because of her height and strength, so we all chose that she should just do stunt training for now. She missed the first practice because my spouse was sick, , this was her second practice! Well, I picked her up from gym and she was holding ice on her hand and said that she and the flyer did a level 5+ move, but my dd jammed her thumb. I said ok, it takes about 10 days to get over and we laughed and talked(a deer even ran out in front of me and I barely missed him, a big ole buck!) on the way home. While I was making dinner, she was complaining loudly about her hand, even after I had give her 500 mg of motrin. I checked her hand and the palm was swollen so bad...We ended up at the Urgent care and thumb was not broken, but it did look misplaced on the xray. They ended up putting sprain on her release papers, but the PA said it looked more like ligament/tendon tears, possible full. She is still in pain and cannot pinch at all and the accident was on Tuesday. We do have a pediatric sports ortho appt on this coming Tuesday at 9 am sharp. Has anyone elses dd had this happen at gym, cheer or anywhere else. What to expect.

I think you need to carefully condos idea this. Despite her gymnastics background it is very concerning that any coach would have her attempting to base a level 5 stunt after only a few lessons cheer training.

Level 5 is very advanced cheering and there are a lot of base stunting skills that should be learned first. This type of thing can end in a catastrophic injury.

It sounds very much like her coach wants to put doing harder skills over the kids safety.

Stay away from that cheer gym. The back base is the "brain" of any stunt and she's responsible for the flyer's HEAD. As a former cheer coach I would always put my most reliable and experienced bases in the back of stunts provided they were tall enough. There is no way way she has learned to catch well enough in two practices to be the back base in a L5 stunt. It takes time and experience to feel where the flyer is going and to react properly for a safe catch.

I would be extremely concerned about the judgement of the cheer coach.

Stay away from that cheer gym. The back base is the "brain" of any stunt and she's responsible for the flyer's HEAD. As a former cheer coach I would always put my most reliable and experienced bases in the back of stunts provided they were tall enough. There is no way way she has learned to catch well enough in two practices to be the back base in a L5 stunt. It takes time and experience to feel where the flyer is going and to react properly for a safe catch.

I would be extremely concerned about the judgement of the cheer coach.

Agreed, my daughter got a serious concussion and whiplash when she was a side for her Uni team, the back was not prepared to catch and my dd got a cheerleader to the head. I had not wanted her to do cheer, but at 18 I could do little to stop it, but honestly cheer can be so poorly regulated that major injuries do happen. My dd's injuries cost her a semester of University.

She may have torn her UCL (look up gamekeeper's thumb or skier's thumb). My daughter did that with a bail on bars. She also could not hold anything when she pinched. It ended up being immobilized for 6 weeks and then PT.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies! DD went to Ortho Dr today, said it's not so bad, but not so good. She may have an avulsion fracture in the first bone (the one near the palm, not tip), and or ligament tear also. Wanted to cast it, but DD made face. So, he said MRI first, then see if cast or surgery needed.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back