Parents UIC

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A friend of ours was a UIC gymnast and the thinking is that the women’s team may have a slim chance of continuing but there’s zero chance for the men’s... very sad

A friend of ours was a UIC gymnast and the thinking is that the women’s team may have a slim chance of continuing but there’s zero chance for the men’s... very sad

If that is the case, then it is truly not a financial decision. How frustrating.

I got a reply from the chancellor. Seems like a form letter to me, lol.

"Thank you for taking the time to write and for your passion about the Flames Gymnastics teams. This was indeed a very difficult decision taken after careful thought and examination, knowing very well the commitment and devotion that our current student athletes and the program’s alumni have for their sport. The harsh reality is that costs associated with varsity teams to operate at a competitive level have been rising and will continue to rise creating an unsustainable situation in the current fiscal environment. Our Athletic Director (cc’d) can provide more details as needed. Finally, as we have pointed out in the announcement, we will honor all commitments to current student athletes and will provide the support needed in the months and years ahead until they graduate.

Thank you again for writing."

So they will "honor all commitments" ... except for the one that says these athletes will be on a gymnastics team - lol.

The state of Illinois is in dire fiscal straits. UIC is a state funded institution. The fact that they are short on funding for costly programs doesn't surprise me at all. Its too bad for the gymnasts and the gymnastics community but given whats going on in Illinois its unlikely that the funds will be found to continue the program.
https://www.mercatus.org/statefiscalrankings/illinois

The state of Illinois is in dire fiscal straits. UIC is a state funded institution. The fact that they are short on funding for costly programs doesn't surprise me at all. Its too bad for the gymnasts and the gymnastics community but given whats going on in Illinois its unlikely that the funds will be found to continue the program.
https://www.mercatus.org/statefiscalrankings/illinois

That does make sense. But gym is 0.25% of the athletic dept. Budget. Men have no scholarships soi are full paying students. Equipment is paid for and/ or donated as are uniforms. This savings cannot be that much

I got a reply from the chancellor. Seems like a form letter to me, lol.

"Thank you for taking the time to write and for your passion about the Flames Gymnastics teams. This was indeed a very difficult decision taken after careful thought and examination, knowing very well the commitment and devotion that our current student athletes and the program’s alumni have for their sport. The harsh reality is that costs associated with varsity teams to operate at a competitive level have been rising and will continue to rise creating an unsustainable situation in the current fiscal environment. Our Athletic Director (cc’d) can provide more details as needed. Finally, as we have pointed out in the announcement, we will honor all commitments to current student athletes and will provide the support needed in the months and years ahead until they graduate.

Thank you again for writing."

So they will "honor all commitments" ... except for the one that says these athletes will be on a gymnastics team - lol.

What a load of BS. UIC is an absolutely massive institution and only a small portion of budget comes from the state. There is no freaking way the gym team is what is making them "unsustainable."

What a load of BS. UIC is an absolutely massive institution and only a small portion of budget comes from the state. There is no freaking way the gym team is what is making them "unsustainable."
That was what I was thinking when i read it ... maybe the chancellor should take a pay cut to cover the gymnastics program.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back