WAG Understanding elite D scoring

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yuenling

Proud Parent
My daughter will never be an elite, but I enjoy watching the elite competitions and am trying to understand the difficulty score.

How much harder is it to go from a difficulty of , say, 5.2 - 5.4 in terms that a level 8 mom can understand? Is it like going from a level 4 to level 5 in JO? Or is it like changing a back tuck to a back layout on floor? Is the letter equivalent to a decimal point - ie. going from an A to a B skill will increase you by .2 ? Or is it something about connecting two skills?

Also, is the increase in difficulty per score linear or exponential as you go higher. ie. is it harder to go from a 6.2 to 6.4 than a 5.2 to 5.4 ?

I have been out of the loop for a year (which is a lot because things change all the time). But to give you an idea Each skill has a point value, >1 .2. 3 etc.. as you said. , plus you get bonus of putting D, E, F, Skills together. But D skills in Elite are different than JO. In other words, Toe shoot full pirouette to Tekachev is .1 bonus in Elite, plus you get the value of the skill, in JO that combo would be .3. But regular full pirouette is only a C in the Elite code so it's worthless. :) E plus E is .2 but they devalued the E Pirouette bonus to .1 just last year so.... Imagine putting together 3 level 10 routines, except the skills have to connect, all have to be D , E and above and,,,, everyone is doing big skills so you have to connect them to win,, and then do a big dismount. Elite is insane. Disclaimer, I have never had an ELITE!!!

If you really want to know, you can go to the FIG website and download the code. Coachp gave the basic overview. You count up the value of the top 8 elements, e.g. .3 for a C, .4 for a D, .5 for an E etc. Then there's connection bonus. There are composition requirements in addition for women and you get 2.5 for fulfilling them. For men, the have to cover all 5 element groups.

How hard it is to increase the value of a routine by .2 really depends on the composition of the routine. If the athlete has maxed out the connection she can do it's harder. If not, it could be easier. For instance, Gabby Douglas sould increase the difficulty of her beam routine by .2 by adding jumps after her front tuck and front pike. For her, this is going to be a relatively easy upgrade I'm guessing she'll be doing next year. If the only option an athlete has to upgrade is adding a new skill of higher difficulty, it's going to be harder.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back