Parents Underwear and leotards

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

HappyMom

Proud Parent
My 6 yo DD insists that you aren't supposed to wear underwear under leotards. She says that gymnasts don't wear underwear under their leotards. I say they do, but what do I know? I never did gymnastics. We've done it both ways...but I thought I'd ask you guys. Underwear or no under leos?

Our younger girls don't for practice, once they hit puberty the older girls wear shorts over their leos and do, but not for competitions

Your daughter is right, you are not supposed to wear underwear under a leotard. These days some leotard companies make this fancy leotard underwear to go underneath but that never existed before and people have worn leotards for many years.

Leotards are like swimwear, and swimwear certainly does not need underwear.

it is also a pet peeve of mine. It looks a little cute when they are 3 or 4 and you see the underwear sticking out. But as they get older it looks awful to see pink and purpleoka dot underwear sticking out from under a sleek well fitted leotard.

My kid only wears undies with her practice leos. She doesn't wear undies to competitions. apparently nothing is supposed to show from under the leo, no undies or bra straps can show.
I want to get her some of the high cut ones I see in the gym leo catalogs. anyone use those? how are they? she does have some that are high cut but they still peek out occasionally.

I agree with several of the above, there is nothing worse than showing up for gym and seeing all these gymnasts wearing these beautiful leotards then to see that one girl with a big pair of white panties sticking out of all sides.
Put it this way, you buy a beautiful bikini you get ready to go to hang out on the wonderful beach or at the pool and before you do you put your bra and panties on under your swimsuit. It's kinda like that.
No underwear necessary just make sure the leo is tight fitting enough so your little ones private parts are kept nice and covered, I always have my daughter try on any new one and do a few easy skills at home so I know if she will be ok and nothing will be exposed.

My DD doesn't wear any with her leos. She doesn't like the way they feel. Even when she wears the shorts, she doesn't like to wear them.

@RileyG- I believe the answer is yes. The judging at least USAG is pretty strict on stuff. I remember once a girl on my daughters L5 team was getting ready to do her beam routine, she saluted the judges then picked her leo out of her bottom (like they all do) then got up and did a beautiful routine. We later found out from the coach that she was deducted for picking her leo. I guess once you salute everything you do is officially part of your routine in this case picking her leo :) so I'm guessing if they deducted for that they would deduct for panties. But I would check.

ooooh, knicker picking can be a bugbear for some judges, over here I think there is no dedcution if the underwear is skintone and discrete

Never underwear, but sometimes nude colored briefs if the leotard is a very light color. Some of the lighter fabrics can be see through. She hates wearing briefs though and avoids them at all cost.

We had white competition leotards and wore nude colored briefs with them. No big deal... but my dd's don't usually wear them with practice leotards.

Our girls are required to wear briefs under their leos at practice. They all wear the nude high cut gym panties GK sells. They all wear sports bras too, even those who don't need them.

It's become a common policy in this area, many gyms are doing this.

Our girls are required to wear briefs under their leos at practice. They all wear the nude high cut gym panties GK sells. They all wear sports bras too, even those who don't need them.

It's become a common policy in this area, many gyms are doing this.

what's the reasoning behind this?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back