WAG Underwear for under her competition Leo.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Bcgeogirl

Proud Parent
I have so many questions that were not answered in the previous thread for abbreviations and the threads I found them in are closed for response.
My daughter has her first competition next month. They told her not to wear underwear with her leotard. I am so not cool with that. She is maturing at least two years faster than I did and I would insist that she should wear something under it.
I saw a great post from 2016 talking about briefs but nothing more recent. Plus I did not understand the abbreviations in there as my daughter has only started competitive gymnastics in September 2020.
for example “She wears a CL in GK leos and CM in Alpha Factor and CL in Snowflake.” And they talk about gg and as-am, cxl, cl gk, cm gk.
Any help on current briefs to wear under Leo’s and with these abbreviations would be great. I just want her to be happy and comfortable. I fear she will be an early bloomer for her period as she has times of pms like attitude already. Iwant to be prepared and ensure she is too.
greatly appreciated.
I am so happy to have found this forum. I have so many questions. I never got to compete in gymnastics as my experience was just an after school activity. I just don’t know where to start to help her.

“She wears a CL in GK leos and CM in Alpha Factor and CL in Snowflake.” And they talk about gg and as-am, cxl, cl gk, cm gk.
Some help with abbreviations and such ...
GK and gk = GK Elite brand leotards.
AF or Alpha Factor = Alpha Factor brand leotards.
Snowflake = Snowflake designs brand leotards

CXS and cxs = child extra small
CS and cs = child small
INT or int = child intermediate
CM and cm = child medium
CL and cl = child large
cxl = child extra large
AXS and axs = adult extra small
AS and as = adult small
AM, AME, am, ame = adult medium
AL and al = adult large
AXL and axl = adult extra large

DD or dd = darling daughter, dear daughter, or devil daughter ;)

When looking for underwear for under a competition leotard, you could look on the website of the company that made the leotard. They usually also have underwear designed to wear under their competition leotards. Depending on the color of the leotard, black or beige are the most popular colors.
I have heard that Justice and Pink also have ones that work (if you shop Justice or Pink).
I have also heard that some parents just have their daughter wear a small panty liner in the leotard.
When my older gymmie (OG) started competing, we got really lucky.
1. Our gym chooses the more modest cut of leotards and it had a gusset lining, so TECHNICALLY the girls didn't HAVE to wear underwear..
2. Hanes had "sporty" bikinis that she had already been wearing regularly. One of the colors was the exact same color as her leotard. They were designed in a perfect way that they didn't show even under a higher cut leotard, so they worked great with her team leotard. We even went out and bought more so she could have 1 pair that was JUST for meets.

I hope this helps.

I believe some sites sell briefs that match the color and fabric of the comp leo for a pretty reasonable price. I'll see if I can find them and can send the link if you'd like.

And IMO I find the "no underwear" rule to be a bit ridiculous. At our gym we let the girls wear what was comfortable for them, so every girl had an input on what they preferred for their comp leos and ultimately all the girls agreed on the "perfect" leo, which everyone loved.

Welcome!
There are many gyms that do not want the gymnasts wearing any underwear underneath as the lines can be seen through the leos. Be sure to talk wit the coaches about it first before spending a lot of money buying something she won't be able to wear. My dd went several years without any underwear under the leos but then switched to bikini style from Justice, which worked fine. Later on, in her teens, she preferred the actual brief style ones from GK

Officially, underwear is allowed but if it shows there will be an attire deduction, so your gym is probably trying to avoid any possibility of that happening by making a blanket policy against underwear. I think it’s perfectly reasonable to politely ask the coach about it and explain your concerns. I can’t imagine they would put up a fight about it as long as they knew you understood it has to not show. As has already been said, getting a color to match either the leo or her skin tone is a good choice just in case.

My dd used to wear a nude tank liner from GK when she was younger because her leo was a light color. Now that they are darker, she just wears a nude color, high cut underwear made by Jockey.
Depending on the color and tightness of your daughter's leo, you might be able to see the waistband bump through it.

When my DD1 first started competing, her CXS Leo was too big for her. Our gym owner recommended buying black underwear from GK elite to wear under them. Luckily, I had a conversation with a seasoned gym mom and she said the seamless ones from Justice worked just as well... that was when Justice actually still existed and made underwear in size 5.
I know a few girls on DD1’s team who have started their period and aren’t comfortable with wearing tampons, so they wear Thinx under their Leo’s. From the stands, I can’t see any weird lines. I’m not sure how they look up close.
Hopefully, USAG comes to their senses with the petition that is going around and will allow for no deduction if shorts or leggings can be worn to competitions without fearing deductions. Then, your concerns might not be as worrisome, as your DD can likely wear underwear under a Leo with shorts covering her bottom half for a little modesty.

Mine, no underwear. A panty liner in Leo or nothing at all. She is only in it for a few hours.

A Leo is pretty much a bathing suit. No undies there either

Mine, no underwear. A panty liner in Leo or nothing at all. She is only in it for a few hours.

A Leo is pretty much a bathing suit. No undies there either
And leos cover more than bathing suits. My daughters went from leos to bathing suits when they switched to diving. No support, no backs generally and higher cuts. Plus they are soaking wet when wearing. The only plus is that the girls were not self conscious about wearing them as they had grown up in leos.

My dd swears by the GK briefs.

https://www.gkelite.com/products/1478 - she has had both the low rise and medium rise and she said it didn’t really matter. Sometimes they have a sale and she would get whichever we’re on sale.

she did not Like underwear under her Leo until she started through puberty. Then she insisted.

also, you want these to fit snug so they don’t move around and will stay under the Leo. My dd wore an adult small or sometimes Medium Leo depending on fit (5’5”, slender) and wore a small brief.

she also has a few pair of thinx that she would wear during her period at practice as backup. Once she hit high school she also wanted to wear shorts as much as possible.

“She wears a CL in GK leos and CM in Alpha Factor and CL in Snowflake.” And they talk about gg and as-am, cxl, cl gk, cm gk.

CS and cs = child small
CM and cm = child medium
CL and cl = child large
cxl = child extra large
AS and as = adult small
AL and al = adult large

When looking for underwear for under a competition leotard, you could look on the website of the company that made the leotard. They usually also have underwear designed to wear under their competition leotards. Depending on the color of the leotard, black or beige are the most popular colors.
I have heard that Justice and Pink also have ones that work (if you shop Justice or Pink).
I have also heard that some parents just have their daughter wear a small panty liner in the leotard.
1. Our gym chooses the more modest cut of leotards and it had a gusset lining, so TECHNICALLY the girls didn't HAVE to wear underwear..
2. Hanes had "sporty" bikinis that she had already been wearing regularly. One of the colors was the exact same color as her leotard. They were designed in a perfect way that they didn't show even under a higher cut leotard, so they worked great with her team leotard. We even went out and bought more so she could have 1 pair that was JUST for meets.

I hope this helps.

CS and cs = child small
CM and cm = child medium
CL and cl = child large
cxl = child extra large
AS and as = adult small
AL and al = adult large

I hope this helps.
Thank you. So helpful. I do not feel like SUCH a newb now lol.

Thank you everyone. Such great advice. I appreciate you all. It is important to me that I ensure my dd has the best first step in this new world she is venturing into and feels comfortable in her leo so she can be confident in all her events. Her first "competition" is on the 16th this month! Due to CoVid all contestants are being video taped and the judges will adjudicate based on the recording. I am so proud of her and excited.

Mine - no undies. The whole team - no undies. These are 12 YO's and up. Last year we did glue her leo to her bum for competitions so no wedgies. This year we didn't need to because the moves progressed and no need.

I will say, I was at a meet this weekend and noticed a few with undies. I could really tell. There was a distinct line around their waist and it could be seen under the leo. Nothing showing outside, but the waist line of the undies made it distracting, and not smooth.

If she's uncomfortable, I would look at the leo companies offerings. If she's fine without them, I would let it go.

You can also look at leotard liners instead of underwear if you or the gym are concerned about the line at the waist from underwear. GK has nude leo liners and I believe other brands do as well. These can be helpful if there is lots of bling on leos or the material feels "scratchy" Its basically a flesh colored tank leotard you can wear under your competition leotard.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back