WAG Unitard for competition

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymyogimom

Proud Parent
Does anyone know which leo companies have these and can they match "close" to the gym's set style already?

I am not sure which leo companies have these - I hope they do! If your gym's leo provider can't accommodate, it will be easy for a figure skating costume maker (or any costume maker who works with stretch fabrics) to add legs to a leo to create a unitard in a way that will be comfortable and look nice. Ask the leo company to purchase extra matching fabric.

Snowflake and Destira make unitards (the shorts kind) and also do custom designs, so they might be able to help you out. They probably have most of the more common competitive leo fabrics in stock and be able to get in the right ballpark. If you're looking for long pants, your best bet might be a local costume maker.

While it doesn't directly answer the question, I'm guessing a location of "from midwest" means USAG/JO competition so I would also like to point out a new Rules & Policies update for this year which gives another option:

Recommendation to ADD bullet to the Junior Olympic Code of Points, page General – 6: Incorrect attire: 2.bullet, and to the Women’s Program Rules and Policies, page 19.II.B.9.d: • In addition to a leotard or ankle-length unitard, acceptable attire would also include ankle-length tights worn under the leotard (that match the leotard or are skin tone). - source

So instead of getting a special custom-made unitard, if acceptable to the gym, tights can be worn under the leotard instead. This definitely sounds like an easier/cheaper option. It will also make reselling/buying used leotards easier within a team, another plus for parents and gymnasts. No special request, religious/medical exemption, etc. is required for this - any gymnast can wear the tights without a reason.

While it doesn't directly answer the question, I'm guessing a location of "from midwest" means USAG/JO competition so I would also like to point out a new Rules & Policies update for this year which gives another option:

Recommendation to ADD bullet to the Junior Olympic Code of Points, page General – 6: Incorrect attire: 2.bullet, and to the Women’s Program Rules and Policies, page 19.II.B.9.d: • In addition to a leotard or ankle-length unitard, acceptable attire would also include ankle-length tights worn under the leotard (that match the leotard or are skin tone). - source

So instead of getting a special custom-made unitard, if acceptable to the gym, tights can be worn under the leotard instead. This definitely sounds like an easier/cheaper option. It will also make reselling/buying used leotards easier within a team, another plus for parents and gymnasts. No special request, religious/medical exemption, etc. is required for this - any gymnast can wear the tights without a reason.
We ran into a team a few times this year that had kids wearing black ankle-length spandex under their leos. I think the team leos were either black or a dark navy so it worked well. But I can imagine it would be tricky if the team leo were a color other than black/very dark blue. I'm sure this team knew in advance they would have gymnast's utilizing this option and chose their team leo accordingly.

That is great to know. The cost for the actual leo company to do one piece unitard is cost prohibitive.

Reactions: sce
We ran into a team a few times this year that had kids wearing black ankle-length spandex under their leos. I think the team leos were either black or a dark navy so it worked well. But I can imagine it would be tricky if the team leo were a color other than black/very dark blue. I'm sure this team knew in advance they would have gymnast's utilizing this option and chose their team leo accordingly.
Technically, that was an attire deduction under the prior rules & policies. Judges, of course, might miss such a thing if they got a bit of chalk dust in their eye or were too busy looking for actual safety-related attire issues like loose jewelry or unsecured long hair. Now, thankfully, it will not be an issue and I view it as a step in the right direction (though I think it should go further).

Technically, that was an attire deduction under the prior rules & policies. Judges, of course, might miss such a thing if they got a bit of chalk dust in their eye or were too busy looking for actual safety-related attire issues like loose jewelry or unsecured long hair. Now, thankfully, it will not be an issue and I view it as a step in the right direction (though I think it should go further).
These girls were wearing them for religious reason, I wonder if they had gone through a process with the head judges to clear it? Or I guess decided they would rather take the deduction if it meant they could compete. No idea. I agree it's a step in the right direction!

My friend’s daughter’s team in Philadelphia has a number of girls who compete in leggings under their leos for religious reasons- they also compete in sports hijabs. If the girls were getting deductions it wasn’t hindering them as they seem to place really well. I’m glad usag is making moves in the right direction on this.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back