WAG Unitard in competition

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I really liked this design! I didn't find it distracting at all. In fact, I felt it was more seamless compared to leo/bare leg look. Really, how is it any different than having long sleeves on the arms? Do the sleeves somehow cause a distraction or hide the bent arms?

looking more closely, is this a unitard or is it a pair of leggings? The black on the top vs the bottom is different. Made me think they are leggings.

I do think that different arm designs can distract from bent arms. Not completely, but to some extent. But there are lots of things that can distract on a leotard - doesn't mean the judges don't spot it when they are at the top of their game. Didn't Simone Biles comment on that white vintage style leotard that she wore that it wouldn't have been suitable for bars or something? Something about the very bold lines highlighting any imperfection? Or could she have made one small quote and I am remembering a discussion on here somewhere?!

As the mother of a college diver, I can promise that they are wearing the same suits as the swimmers but when you are doing twists and flips, they do expose more than some of us are comfortable with. On the other hand, it doesn't bother my former gymnast daughter at all. She's more concerned about the straps on the back than the cut of the legs.

Again, don't presume anything more then personal choice/cost. Or a mistake or a wardrobe malfunction

Dang I forgot to pack my matching socks. Crud, my red socks ripped. Gotta wear my white practice spares.

Much like figure skaters, White boots vs nude vs colored legging to match rest of costume.

It is actually usually more of them saying "I am not finding exactly the right shade of red for my red pants, and blue for my blue pants, with no writing or design anywhere. I am wearing white (or black)." My son has had some years where they all match and some where we are glad he has enough socks.

Thank you for saying so. The gymnast above may also be wearing a unitard for this reason and it feels disrespectful for people to be criticizing it.
You know, we are allowed to have opinions. It’s not always disrespectful or shaming or whatever buzzword you want to use. It’s an opinion. We aren’t cussing, calling her names or each other names, crticizing her body shape or size, or any other disrespectful thing. We are breaking down the pros and cons of a uniform and giving our opinions. Please stop acting like a kindergarten teacher or the social justice police, there’s enough of that on Facebook.

You know, we are allowed to have opinions. It’s not always disrespectful or shaming or whatever buzzword you want to use. It’s an opinion. We aren’t cussing, calling her names or each other names, crticizing her body shape or size, or any other disrespectful thing. We are breaking down the pros and cons of a uniform and giving our opinions. Please stop acting like a kindergarten teacher or the social justice police, there’s enough of that on Facebook.
Saying something feels disrespectful is also an opinion.

seriously.....though...can we get back on topic???
Yes please. In my perfect dream fairy world every gym would have two uniform options, one with long pants and one standard leotard. Each gymnast could choose which she prefers to compete in and both would be equally fine. I'm sure there are a million reasons why this is impractical but it would be nice to let each athlete cater to her own preference and comfort. Personally this particular unitard wasn't my favorite, but I've seen others that I absolutely love used in acro and stuff.

Yes please. In my perfect dream fairy world every gym would have two uniform options, one with long pants and one standard leotard. Each gymnast could choose which she prefers to compete in and both would be equally fine. I'm sure there are a million reasons why this is impractical but it would be nice to let each athlete cater to her own preference and comfort. Personally this particular unitard wasn't my favorite, but I've seen others that I absolutely love used in acro and stuff.

I would add in a shorts option in the dream fairy world along with all the leotards being not too high with enough coverage for sports bras and underwear for all athletes.

I don’t think this would go over well at some gyms. I know at DD’s gym they want uniformity. If one wore leggings, they would want them all to wear them and vice versa. They are more traditional in their leos as well so I’m sure they would not allow leggings. They do however pick leos that are darker in color, don’t have mesh sleeves or weird backs and cutouts, and offer good coverage and fit for their athletes so that they can wear a bra or underwear if necessary. So I have no complaints as long as she is appropriately covered. And I won’t have to worry about the additional cost of leggings.

I am curious though as to why the COP allows for leggings but does not allow for capris or shorts.

What I am trying to say is:

Athlete 1 has bare legs or solid-colored leggings. There is nothing to distract the judge's eyes from her knees.

Athlete 2 is wearing the pictured unitard. The judges' eyes are naturally going to be drawn to the blinged-out calves and ankles and away from the knees.

Which athlete's knees get more attention from the judges?

I regularly judge FIG, and I can tell for sure that both om them would get the same deduction. Bend knees deduction is based on angles, and I don't care if the leo or unitard is white, has a weird design, has one long and one short arm, or long multicolored leg covering... I don't have the time to just look at the feet, especially on uneven bars, how the heck should spent time on different parts of the body. We don't have the slow-motion, that is shown after the routine in the TV again and again. We look at the whole body. There is just one bias I know: where does the gymnast come from, well known club or in the past better competing country... And this is a very sad bias. Something I realized a lot during judges courses... But gymnast with the same routine and same mistakes never got different points depending on their outfit.

Last week DD's gym had Myra Elfenbein in to watch routines and offer tips to the girls. I drop her name only to let those who want to research her do so. This was practice and the girls wore whatever they wanted, as with all practices. Trust me this did not stop her from finding everything they did wrong and more. She was wonderful to each girl was hands on and changed shapes. I watched and trust me the attire did not stop her from finding every possible deduction.

Take away is let the girls decide to wear what they want. Decisions have consequences and if one style lends itself to better scores athletes will begin to learn how life works. They can learn to follow their feelings and ethics and do what is best for them as a person. Kind of like being grown up.

I totally agree with those who think that what the gymnast wears does not affect the judges 'abilities to spot deduction. Gymnasts often wear leos with blingy arms and we can spot the bent arms just fine so I don't see how it would be any different for the knees.
I judged a girl competing with a black bike short once and it wasn't distracting at all.

This was the judge's point of view. As a gymnast, I would prefer shorts to be allowed rather than unitards because leos can be crazy warm, especially in the summer, and it can be very annoying, especially if you happen to be older and have a tendency to sweat a lot. A few years ago, one of my friends couldn't wear her meet leo once because the sweat (from warming-up) was VERY visible on her leo and she didn't feel comfortable going out in it. I can't imagine what an unitard feels like...
So, while I'm glad that unitards are an option, it would be great if shorts were also allowed (and it would also be nice if leos were made in fabrics more sport-friendly but this is an other issue).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back