Up close and personnel…

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

Ashley

Gymnastics has always been a huge part of my life, ever since I can remember and don’t know who I would be without it. I have retired my career as a gymnast in 2001 and have been coaching for about six years now (levels 4-7 along with choreographing). I love coaching but my heart still aches every once in a while and wish I were the one out there sweating, fighting the tears, and trying to tell my body…just one more. But life plays its cards out and some get a good hand, while others don’t always get what they want. I guess I never got what I wanted out of gymnastics when I was a gymnast, but I think that is what makes me a good coach. I met with one of my old and highly respected coaches a while back…and with tears in my eyes I asked him, why did I never make it? Why did gymnastics have to leave my life when I was not ready? He responded with is silly accent, maybe it happened so you would be the coach that you are today. Maybe he is right…. but there is not a day that goes by that my heart does not break about my dream that never came true. As you can tell…if you are still reading this, I wear my heart on my sleeve. That’s just who I am, ask anyone who knows meJ I am here to further help my coaching skills and strategies, to try and understand my gymnasts better, and to “let goâ€￾ of my career as a gymnast. Well thanks for listening and hope to hear from some of you gymnastics fanatics soon. -ashley

Hi Ashley,
Awww, don't feel bad--I know "easier said then done", but you have so much to offer as a coach BECAUSE you are so passionate about gymnastics and feel so strongly towards the sport. I often wonder what if I would have stayed with gymnastics longer as a kid and what if my parents pushed me harder...you can't change the past BUT you can affect the future. Just think how many girls lives you can inspire and touch by your awesome attitude and passion for gymnastics as a coach!! I started taking adult gymnastics classes when I was 39 yrs old when my daughter started cheering at the age of 6, (now at the age of 9 she wants to switch to gymnastics). Man--that was the best time of my life!!
So, you can always start back up again doing gymnastics as an adult--what a great way to motivate and teach your students!!!!
Anyway, you sound like you are a great, caring and dedicated coach and I wish you the best of luck!!!
Hope we can keep in touch!

Maybe through your experiences in gymnastics, you can share your thoughts with your gymnast. Like your old coach said it was for a reason and that is why you are a great coach. I bet if you jumped up on the equipment yourself once in a while to demonstrate a skill it would make you feel better! Our coaches do that sometimes and the kids get so excited when they see them doing something themselves.

Hi Ashley,

Just an FYI...we have three woman/coaches at our gym that are competing Prep-Op. All three are married - 23, 26...and 37! Doesn't hurt that the elder was a college gymnast that has kept in remarkable shape, but she has competed very strongly this year.

They pick just a few meets here and there, work out some before/after classes.

Might be something to consider if you find you can't avoid 'itching' ;)

Another thing - others likely know far more, but my own daughter competing in AAU's nationals this summer (1st time we ventured outside of USAG)...there was a ladies division also in our session. Not sure of the age qualifications, but it might be of more interest had you wanted to avoid competing with the mainly minors in Prep-Op.

Hello there and welcome on here!
Even though I never was a gymnast myself I will be happy to talk to you. And I`m a good listener. I probably can`t offer any advise, but I am willing to read/hear your whole story if you feel like talking. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back