WAG up, down, sideways. Natalia's post with an answer.

• Thread starter Deleted member D3987
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member D3987

for some reason i am not able to post and respond to Natalia's post. so here it is as a repost.:

That thin piece of wood seems to be gathering a lot of attention around here.If it were up to me I'd chop it up and throw in the chimney :).

I have a few questions about DDs choices for her acro skill ,the post by @profmom inspired me to get some opinions from all of you friendly folks.

DD is currently working on putting together her next beam routine.

She is currently competing BHS-BHS , then a stand alone back tuck and her dismount is round off full.In between there's some leaps and turns,I'm not too sure what you call them in English.

She will be transforming her BHS-BHS into a BHS-Back tuck.She will add an aerial.
She finds it easier to connect a back tuck to her back hand spring rather then a( how do you call) a back hand spring with no hands?Lol
She prefers to do an aerial rather then a front aerial,shes says her aerial is her safe bet,and this allows her to start working on a side sommy.If she does a front aerial she needs to clean it up and that takes time away from working on her side sommy.

We use the FIG code(I think)or something very close to it.Her coach said she can choose an aerial,side aerial side sommy(sp?) or front tuck.Her coach is perfecllty happy with her choice.

MY question as an ignoramus mother that I am is:
Nearly every girl I see chooses a front aerial rather then an aerial,is this because a front aerial allows you to connect more skills afterwards?
Most girls go for BHS-BHS with no hands(what do you call those in english,it's a flic décalé aound here).Does this lead to easier connections later down the road rather then BHS-Back tuck?

1st bold: layout back step out. or layout 2 foot landing. can be done both ways and both lead to different kinds of "series" on beam.

2nd bold: some kids are better at front aerials and some better at regular aerials. front is called 'aerial walk over' and regular is called 'aerial cartwheel'. and then sideways is 'side aerial'. it's much more difficult to tumble out of front aerial walk overs. much easier to connect other skills out of aerial cartwheel. side aerial stops there. there is nothing you can do out of that. some girls have done aerial walkover immediate side aerial.

3rd bold: yes. landing a back tuck on 2 feet is where it stops. same with a layout to 2 foot landing. to keep going in a series you must 'step out' the layouts. but the flip flop can be done from 2 feet or step out. the FIG code disallows 3 flip flops performed the same way. if they do, there is a deduction. so, 3 flip flop step outs or 3 flip flops from 2 feet receive a deduction.

for some reason i am not able to post and respond to Natalia's post. so here it is as a repost.:

1st bold: layout back step out. or layout 2 foot landing. can be done both ways and both lead to different kinds of "series" on beam.

2nd bold: some kids are better at front aerials and some better at regular aerials. front is called 'aerial walk over' and regular is called 'aerial cartwheel'. and then sideways is 'side aerial'. it's much more difficult to tumble out of front aerial walk overs. much easier to connect other skills out of aerial cartwheel. side aerial stops there. there is nothing you can do out of that. some girls have done aerial walkover immediate side aerial.

3rd bold: yes. landing a back tuck on 2 feet is where it stops. same with a layout to 2 foot landing. to keep going in a series you must 'step out' the layouts. but the flip flop can be done from 2 feet or step out. the FIG code disallows 3 flip flops performed the same way. if they do, there is a deduction. so, 3 flip flop step outs or 3 flip flops from 2 feet receive a deduction.

Wow,the complexity of this sport is breathtaking.

Have I got this right?
Is this the regular aerial cartwheel?

Front aerial walkover?

Sheeesh,internet not playing nice today.

I can normaly link a vid starting at a specific point but that didn't work so I tried linking instead of embedding and That didn't work.:confused:

Don't know what's worse gymnastics terminology or code.

I posted the vids with specific starting points above in the other post.If you have time I would be very gratefull if you could confirm that I've got the terminology right.

So a side aerial can also be called a side sommi/somersault/flip? Is there a true "side flip" in the code of points, either for floor or beam?

somi with 1 m. yes, it's in the JO Code and the FIG Code for both events.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back