Parents Update from us and first meet this next weekend.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Well Emily and Madi have continued on training the same levels we competed last year which is level 6 for Emily and 4 for Madi. Our gym it isn't easy to move up at all. You have to have all your skills to move up and with pretty good consistancy. Our gym is very strict on form and percision. Infact to move to level 7 for Emily... We almost need all our level 8 skills. Round off back tuck beam dismount. Back Walkover/ bhs two foot landing for series on beam. Bars you need two giants and layout flyaway.
Well everyone knows about Emily's mental issues... They got bad this summer.... We lost our robhs except on the resimat totally. Emily grew a ton this summer and finally her strength is catching up to her knew height and weight. Well with the exception of back tumbling on floor everything else is going good. As long as she can stick her back walkover on beam, the rest of the routine looks gorgeous. Her head coach says her floor presentation on floor is the best of the group but we still don't have her back tumbling back so we probably won't be competing floor just yet. Vault looks great as always and bars... is coming along.... She still needs more strength conditioning to catch up to the new height and weight.
However, Emily is doing something else this year as well as gymnastics and that is Dance Team. Emily tried out for a dance team in July and made it:) So we are competing dance and gymnastics this year. She is a beautiful dancer and catches on extremely fast. She is in advanced Ballet and Advanced technique as well as doing competition dance in Lyrical and Jazz. She left dance on Thurday and said she loves dance. However, this extra activity means 3 more days of practice in another sport. So she essentially has one day off now.
Madi... She too grew a ton and gained about 10 lbs in the past year but I think she will have a much better 2nd year at level 4 than last year. She needs to develop a lot of upper body strenght to move to level 5 for bars. It definitely is not there yet and well vault is still a struggle for her.
I am excited to have our first meet next week and our new leos are gorgeous. All 260 dollars of them:eek: well that is only 130 for each anyway:)

Nice to hear from you. Good luck to the girls. They do keep growing don't they. lol. Mine too. Hope they have a fab season and enjoy the dance team.

NIce to hear from you Melissa. Lovely to get an update on your girls. AMazing how they grow so fast. Dance sounds like the perfect thing for EMily, she always was so graceful. DO you think she may drop gym for dance? My oldest stopped WAG last year and is now doing dance and tramp, life changes eh?

HOw's your swimming boy?

Sounds like they are doing great. Those back tumbling fears seem to be going around, we have two girls @ DD's gym struggling with that right now - she will get it back and be just fine. Growing changes everything !!!

can't wait to hear about the meet next weekend, and I bet they are looking forward to breaking in those new leo's !!!

Her gym sounds like mine was about moving up. It can be a bit frustrating but kind of nice as well as I am sure they don't get bored as to get the next 2 levels skills before moving they must uptrain a lot which is always fun. Good luck to your girls this season!

Thanks for the update Melissa! It sounds like the girls are doing very well! Congrats on Emily making dance team!!! My dd who is now 11, is getting more involved with her dance training and performances (she is a Level C in ballet and has started pointe training) in addition to the gymnastics so I can totally understand and relate to the time commitment for both activities. I am sure Emily will love dance team--my dd fell in love with dance last year and loves the performance aspect of it. It is also nice when they have another activity to pursue to help round out and balance everything. I can't wait to hear more about their meets and dance performances!!! Definitely keep us posted!!

Wow sounds like you are BUSY busy busy! That is great that Emily is enjoying dance. My older DD is also dabbling a bit in dance, in fact she just auditioned yesterday morning in dance for an arts gifted and talented program at our school district!

GOOD LUCK on that first meet. Hope it goes great! :) We have awhile to wait for my girls' first one, so I need to live vicariously through others for now...

Thank you everyone:) Yes the girls are doing great and Emily is loving dance and we will just see what road we end up on but it is a new thing for both of us. Madi is just doing gymnastics right now and I am planning on certifying in judging:) I am studying up and testing hopefully when the ne judging coordinator sends me the next testing date. I can't wait to be a judge:)
Also Austin and Swimming... He is doing great... He just had his first swim meet of the season this past week and of course our second swim meet is during the girls gym meet too. Nothing like being in two places at once. Makes for a very busy weekend.
We found out today that our first gym meet is on sunday and Emily gets a great 9 am start time and Madi a 4 pm start time:)
I am looking fwd to reading everyone else's meet scores and updates as we move through the season:)

Tell the girls good luck from us. SO glas Austin is still in the pool, he always impressed me!

Keep in touch and let us know how things go! Great news about the judging!

Sounds like you all are busy busy!!

FUnny thing that fear of backward tumbling. A girl a Pixie's gym was having similar issues with her back tumbling pass for L5. She competed L5 for two seasons and in the middle of the second season she developed the fear after crashing. The coaches, the gymnast and her mom all though she would spend a third season in L5. Then in the middle of the summer, one day out of the blue she started doing bhs's again and now she's going to be competing L7 prep op!

I hope that it will just *poof* back for Emily, too :)

I'm glad she has other things to keep her mind preoccupied. That may help in regaining the back tumbling even faster since she won't just have the gymnastics to dwell on. I'm crossing my fingers and toes for her!

Good thoughts going out to Madi and Austin too!!
Glad to hear everything is going well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back