Parents Update: Jumper's knee (Patellar Tendonitis)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Avasmom

Proud Parent
Took my dd who is 8 to the orthopedic doctor today. She has jumper's knee and is not allowed any activity for 4 weeks. We go back October 5th. I asked if she could participate in conditioning with gymnastics. I was told a big NO. He thinks conditioning probably contributed to the problem.

I didn't realize how bad it was until she was lying down on the table and she couldn't physically straighten her right leg b/c of the pain.

Of course she is upset but surprisingly not crying or acting crazy but of course this is only day 1 of a long month. Does anyone have experience with jumper's knee? What was the recovery time? Were they able to go back to gymnastics?

Dd had it! She did not stop gymnastics which is probably why it took so much longer for her to recover.

I'm sure your dd will recover nicely, but please tell her to listen to the dr! Coming from a momma whose dd has had her fair share of weeks off due to injury! If she will legit stay away from activity for a month, she will most likely be returning quicker. Even if it starts to feel better in 2 weeks...Remind her 1 month! My experience is that that time of recovery is extremely beneficial!!!

Best of luck to both of you!!

My daughter gets it every year, normally around December, but has worked so hard this summer it came early. We allow her to do bars (landing with a spot only) and basics but no tumbling, running, or stairs (school). She normally heals within two weeks, but we follow a strict ice 20, off 20, ice 20 at night and use essential oils. We are now going to implement yoga on her days outside of the gym to open and strengthen her hip flexors. Not sure it will help but from what I have read online, weak hips may contribute to runner's knee.

My daughter gets it every year, normally around December, but has worked so hard this summer it came early. We allow her to do bars (landing with a spot only) and basics but no tumbling, running, or stairs (school). She normally heals within two weeks, but we follow a strict ice 20, off 20, ice 20 at night and use essential oils. We are now going to implement yoga on her days outside of the gym to open and strengthen her hip flexors. Not sure it will help but from what I have read online, weak hips may contribute to runner's knee.

I should have read your post more carefully, not sure if jumper knee is the same as runner's knee. My daughter gets fluid in her knee.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back