Parents Update on daughter since she left gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It has been about 8 months Daughter is doing great. Has no regrets about not continuing gym at this point. Cheerleading has not been as bad as I thought she is getting ready for her 1st competition next month. She is even doing some flips in the routine and she is a least saying how gymnastics has helped her, the coaches have been laid back they only practice 1 x a week and only 4 competitions and she is with her school friends. She is just about finished with her swim season also with school. Has been in show and parades with Irish dance is learning hard shoes and did 2 digital competitions. She is also doing regular dance and point . She and her sister are doing a duet in their recital this year and her teacher brought in a local country line dance teacher who want the girls to perform at a local country club. Daughter also is doing sewing lessons. She wants to try to do track this year also.

She has been really busy but it is a different kind of busy than gymnastics was. I have come to the realization that Usag and competitive gymnastics is just not for everyone. I still admire it but most kids can not keep up with the commitment and how difficult it is. Believe it or not my daughter despite of all the dance is no longer in pain it took about 4 months from leaving the gym for her heel pain,wrist pain and back pain to go away. And she got really tall she is 5ft so maybe she just did not have the body for it.
I still keep in touch with the parents and I enjoy when they post their pictures and videos onfacebook and I do get alittle sad seeing their daughters compete knowing that part of my life is over but I am adjusting.

Panda-girl's Mom---I am so glad to hear that your dd is adjusting well and doing great!!! There IS life after gym and I totally agree with you in that some kids are just not cut out for the gymnastics-lifestyle. And that is NOT a bad thing!!! I, myself, do get a little sad too when I hear gymnastics updates from friends, because I still love gymnastics as a whole and think it is a very beautiful sport. So I know where you are coming from on that!!

Just think of all the things and opportunities your dd is now exposed to--it opens up a whole new world!! And I know what you mean about the "being a whole new kind of busy". Dance itself takes up a lot of time and you will soon find out that so many more opportunities will come about from it. The 10 hours of gym were QUICKLY replaced when my dd quit gym as well!!

Thanks for your update!!!

Sounds like your DD is really enjoying her "new life!" I know with my DD, the biggest stumbling block to her making the decision to leave was us giving her an out and assuring her there were things to do besides gymnastics. When thinking of leaving, there were tears and she would say, "but what will I do???"

I'm glad your DD is doing so well and that she is healthy. We as parents definitely need to listen to our children's bodies. Glad you listened and she is doing so well and pain free now.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back