Parents Update on Little DD's Bars Progress

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymmonkeymomma

Proud Parent
Well, T went back to gym last Sat after recuperating 1wk from her surgery. The first day back, the coaches did not have her do bridges or back tumbling. By Monday she was ok with BHS, but not BWO or bridges. Monday night she was supposed to have a 1/2 hr private with our specialty coach on bars, but it ended up only being 10 mins. However, in the 10 mins before practice, and during the bars rotation, she did learn some ways to improve the squat on/jump to HB problem. Coach taught her to switch her thumbs as not to fall back while squatting on low bar. She also told T that instead of a "squat on" she can do "pike on". She taught her how to hook her hands so they are in position to grab the HB as soon as they touch. Before, she was holding her hands straight and then trying to grab so she was falling in the time it took her to fold her fingers over.

2 more practices till Sectional this Sunday.

I am glad she is getting lots of tips on her squat on and I wish her all the luck that she masters this for those sections.. I know how frustrating it can be.
I am glad she has healed well from surgery and quickly too.
Keep us updated and sending lots of jump to the high bar and catch it vibes:)

When my dd was level 5 the squat on was always her issue. All the other girls would struggle with the kips - those she could do - but learning that squat on - her toes still look all funky. I can't tell you how many times she actually ripped off toenails, ewww. Anyway - she eventually got it, as will your dd. All of these struggles really make them stronger in character and make them appreciate what they can do when they can. I have seen girls where everything comes easily and naturally - and then when something doesn't they freak b/c they don't know how to handle it. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed and doing a good luck dance for you that she does it for her competition.

That Squat on still gave my DD trouble for years! In L5 she fell several times. L 6 there was state qualifier where she fell on her squat on and did 4 stupe circles trying to get back up. Even in L7! She fell at state. Thankfully she learned the proper way to do a stupe circle this year.

With the squat on she wasnt getting her shoulders over the bar and she was sticking her behind out, therefore making her fall backward.

Once she started doing a Pike on this past year she has not had the same problem. I hope it helps your DD as much as mine!

Gym Monkey,

Just wanted to say good luck to your DD this weekend at the sectional....I'm feeling positive that this will be her day to get it!

Oh I wanted to add this.. Emily has struggled with her squat on since last summer but finally got it this past month and rarely falls backwards these past few weeks and she is now doing the pike on too. It has helped a ton for her:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back