WAG Update on Rebecca Bross from USAGYM on twitter.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

USAGym USA Gymnastics

From Rebecca Bross' agent: She will undergo surgery on 8/25 to stabilize her right knee cap, expected to return to gymnastics in 2 months.

Wow! Two months--that's great news!!! This makes the 2012 London chances look so much better for her!! Glad to hear she will be back to training very soon. Sending good luck and healing fairies her way!!!

Here's another story off of Universal Sports.

Bross to miss Worlds, will be back for 2012 season
By Associated Press
Aug. 20, 2011: Rebecca Bross suffers a gruesome knee injury after a bad landing on her vault.

Rebecca Bross will miss the world gymnastics championships after dislocating her kneecap and is expected to recover in time for the 2012 season.
Her agent Brandon Swibel says the reigning world bronze medalist will have surgery Thursday to reset and stabilize her right kneecap and should be able to resume gymnastics in about two months. Tests showed there was no damage to her meniscus or her ligaments.
The world championships are Oct. 7-16 in Tokyo. Bross was all but certain to be on the team, having won six medals at the last two world championships.
She dislocated her kneecap when she landed low on her vault landing at last weekend's U.S. championships.

Glad to hear she will be back in the gym soon. She did not look her best during nationals. I hope she takes this time to rest and renew. So since she has an agent, I assume that means she has given up her NCAA eligibility. She does not "look" very NCAA but it is a risk to give up the eligibility.

************************************************************************************************
Glad to hear she will be back in the gym soon. She did not look her best during nationals. I hope she takes this time to rest and renew. So since she has an agent, I assume that means she has given up her NCAA eligibility. She does not "look" very NCAA but it is a risk to give up the eligibility.

************************************************************************************************

I wondered this as well when I saw she has an agent...all I can think of is Jana Bieger who went pro and it never panned out for her and her eligibility was gone. And now with this injury (and coming back from injury all last year) you wonder if she will be able to get healthy enough to be competitive for London....if not, and she does have an agent, we won't see her do college gymnastics ....

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel the same way bookworm. I've never been in a position like Rebecca's obviously so I can't say for sure, but I generally don't like gymnasts getting agents before college. It just takes NCAA off the table completely. Yes there's a million other ways to get to college but when you do gym at that level at that age gym becomes your main way to navigate the world and really helps you into college, which then expands your life options. Maybe when you become a big Olympic champ like Carly or Nastia I can see, it just seems premature to do it before making an Olympic team in my opinion. Not trying to say anything negative against Rebecca, I absolutely adore her! Because of that I just care about her and hope she makes the best possible choices for her career and family and future. There's been lots of gymnasts before her who have made mistakes about too much too young and burning bridges, I'd never want to see that happen to her. Obviously getting an agent and not doing NCAA isn't necessarily a bad thing, I just don't like seeing it become a habit. It was so nice to see so many of the girls from the '08 team keeping their eligibility and going the college route! Elise Ray summed up all my feelings plus so many more in this really awesome article Elise Ray's Road to USA Gymnastics Hall of Fame - University of Michigan Official Athletic Site

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back