Parents Update on switching gyms

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

IreneKa

Proud Parent
For those who hasn't been following my saga, DD is 8 and on the xcel bronze team at her current gym. We want to switch to JO, but her current gym said she is too old and not good enough to be on their JO team.
So, we went for an evaluation at another gym yesterday. They had her do the whole practice with their L2\L3 team. They don't have a preteam there, instead they start with Level 1 team, then at Level 3 whoever is ready starts to compete. DD looked pretty good out there, seemed to be exactly at the same skills level as all their L3 girls. For example, they were practicing shoot through on the bars, which DD haven't done before, because it wasn't a part of their bronze routine, but a lot of girls there couldn't do it either.
Anyway, at the end of the practice the coach said she did good, yes some thing she can't do yet, but if she listens to her (and she did listened, and did everything that was asked of her), then she should have her ready to compete at new level 3 next fall. And that exactly what we wanted, so yay! :)
Now, DD is a little conflicted. She looked like she was having fun over there, jumping around, talking to other girls, making friends. But afterwards she was like, I'm not sure, I like it, but I think I want to stay at my gym.. I think she is just scared of the change, and feels sad leaving her friends and her coaches at her old gym. She is very social, and I'm sure she'll make new friends easily. But I don't want to force her either.
We already paid for the month of May at the old gym, so I was planning to let her stay there for the next two weeks. They practice Tuesdays and Fridays, and at the new gym they practice Tuesdays and Thursdays, so we agreed with the owner that DD would come on Thursdays until the end of May, and then start full time in June. I think this should ease her transition, to still be at the old gym, but getting accustomed to the new gym at the same time. Or would it be better to just go cold turkey, and switch now, and forget about two weeks of tuition? I know a lot of you here said that you switched gyms. How did it go for you?

I can't believe they would tell you that your dd is too old at age 8 to compete level 3. Good luck with the switch - it might get sticky, but if your gym has said they have no place for her on JO then can they blame you for switching?

I am glad that the new gym is going to put her into their JO program.

I would switch her cold turkey and not look back. As they say, just rip the band aid off.

My Dd switched gyms a little over a year ago. At first it was hard on her (mainly missing her friends) but after a month it was all good. Now, you would never know that she hasn't been at her gym her entire life.

Good luck to your Dd!!!

We have 16 yr olds competing old level 4 this past season. I don't like you old gyms attitude. Girls of all ages can contribute to a team, in many different ways.

My DD was 10, switched almost exactly 2 years ago, and has never looked back.

Keeping in touch with old friends should not be difficult especially if they are only in the gym 2 days a week.

I warned her not to say anything about switching at her old gym, but I'm sure she's going to blab it out anyway. Well, her coach and both gym owners know that we wanted to switch to JO, but were denied, so yeah, they can't blame us. If they ask us to leave, then I'll demand a refund. :)

Congrats! I think you should switch cold turkey and get your dd into the JO practices as soon as possible - she needs to start learning those Level 3 skills and the sooner the better. I can't see anything good coming from staying at the old gym at this point.

It's possible they'll ask you to leave, or simply do "a little less" for your dd while she's at the gym. I think this is about the most childish behavior a gym club can engage in. Not only is it childish, it likely falls short of lawful business practice, and I think the sport would be better off if club owners acting this way were "spanked."

If they ask you to leave, tell them you were planning on finishing out the month. If they tell you she's not welcome to finish the month, they will have refused to provide the services they agreed to for the amount you've paid. Wait then, on the refund until she's been to the new gym a, and has made it past the end of the month.

Once the month you have paid for has passed, and you haven't received a refund, send them an email demanding the refund. If they refuse to pay the amount they collected for the lessons they declined to provide, you can remind them they have your money, which passed hands only for the express purpose of providing your dd with lessons/practices at their gym, and that their acceptance of your money implies a contractual agreement on their part to provide those services in the manner and atmosphere they conduct all other lessons and practices....... professionally.

I don't know how far you want to go past that point, but the reality is they have no claim to the money the received from you, and you'd likely win a small claims court, receive your refund, and cost them time and court fees..... both theirs and yours in most locales.

I don't know how others feel about this, as there is some benefit in forgoing the pleadings offered by president Thomas J. Whitmore in the movie Independence Day.........

.........but as the day the world declared in one voice: "We will not go quietly into the night!" We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day!.......

Good luck to the both of you.

I don't think making the switch gradually will help at all. I'd leave ASAP and she will adjust soon. Just tell yourself..."The old gym wrote her off at 8 years old. The new gym wants to develop her and give her a chance. This is the right decision." Repeat constantly to yourself until she adjusts.

I would just go ahead and tell them
everything, both coach and owner, and just let the chips fall where they may.
Sent from my SCH-R720 using ChalkBucket mobile app

So happy for you both that things went so well at the new gym!!! I think I would just leave sooner rather than later so things don't get awkward. Good luck to your DD at her new gym and with L3!!!

IreneKa -

I would be completely on the up and up with the old gym even going so far as to quote the coach that told you she was too old for the JO program. Be honest and forthright and tell them that thier opinions about your daughter did not fit with the future as you see it and that you felt it necessary to seek an alternative. In these kind of things, being straight and honest is the best way to go. The gym has to be made aware that there are consequences to thier actions and decisions.

I would then say to them that you are planning on having her start at the other gym at the earliest opportunity, but that you have paid thru the end of the month at the current gym and ask them how they would like to handle it. You might be surprised in that they offer a refund right there or offer for her to finish out the classes.

No matter what, I would get her to the new gym as soon as possible so that she has time to get into things before the summer training begins.

As always, Good Luck.

Make the switch now. It will probably be easier on your DD in the long run not to draw it out to long! Since she is a social butterfly she will make friends quickly and will also be learning more than she had been at the old gym! Good luck on the switch!!! I hope the old gym doesn't give you to much grief!!

Cold turkey and don't look back. Your DD will adjust quickly and to train at both gyms would be confusing for her, in my opinion. You'll be surprised how quickly she adjusts and makes the new gym her "home". We switched gyms 2 years ago and it was really hard at first, like losing a family member...but in the long run was 100% the right choice and now all 3 of my girls are happy and in the right program for our family.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back