Parents Upper Level AAU?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

WingingIt

Proud Parent
Hello. My 7yr old DD just finished level 1 at a (mostly) AAU gym. She actually did quite well and the gym wants her in level 3 next season (assuming summer training goes as expected). Our gym is small and not one of the big names in the area. They do very well overall in the AAU world though. We are generally happy at this gym. But..... I'm following scores for AAU Nationals (mostly our gym) but noticed that there were only 21 level 8 gymnasts. I have zero goals for my daughter. Her goals are "I want to see how far I can go". I am willing to support this but I don't know how far she can go at an AAU gym. I know she means level 10 (just doesn't want to say it out loud). Currently highest level at our gym is 6. I'm realizing it's likely that we will need to make a switch at some point. There are 3 other USAG gyms in driving distance. One is more serious than I prefer but 2 could be options later. I worry they won't take her when the time comes and she'll be forxfo into retirement before she's ready. Current gym has a tentative plan of putting her in 3 next year, then gold for 1-2 years scoring out of 4-5, then 6. So, theoretically, she'd be about 10-11 years old and a level 6. But after 6 it feels like there's very little competition in AAU and the current gym doesn't have any gymnasts above that level. (And based on turnout at AAU Nationals, this seems to be the norm). I don't want to set my daughter up to hit a glass ceiling. I also don't want to move her for no good reason. Anyone have any input on my ramblings??

From what little I know about AAU, many gyms seem to switch girls over to USAG when they get to the JO Optional Levels for more competition.

If your daughter wants level 10 or even the opportunity to see if she is capable of getting there then I would say she needs to be in a JO program and at 7 and her skill level she would need to do it sooner rather than later, like now. AAU is just not set up for high level gymnastics in the current state of gymnastics in the US.

There is a place for every program and a program for every kid but not every program is set up to support the highest levels of gymnastics. Currently JO is the only avenue for that.

Can you get her evaluated somewhere with a JO program. That would probably tell you a lot. Good luck!

If your daughter wants level 10 or even the opportunity to see if she is capable of getting there then I would say she needs to be in a JO program and at 7 and her skill level she would need to do it sooner rather than later, like now. AAU is just not set up for high level gymnastics in the current state of gymnastics in the US.

There is a place for every program and a program for every kid but not every program is set up to support the highest levels of gymnastics. Currently JO is the only avenue for that.

Can you get her evaluated somewhere with a JO program. That would probably tell you a lot. Good luck!

Thanks. Unfortunately, there's a timing/finance issue. Our AAU season just ended and the JO compulsory season is just beginning. We went to another gym to check it out and had a good talk with the owner. Even though I LOVED the gym, I don't know how to come up with my last month of tuition from our current gym, first month at the next plus all the competition fees ($900), new competition leo, new practice leo and a registration fee all within a couple of weeks.

I didn't have reservations until late in the season. I kind of figured we'd have to switch one day if my daughter outgrew her program, but my intention was always to stay there until that happened. Now, I worry that if I stay that long, no one will take her. It looks like we are going to stay where we are this next season just until I can make a switch financially feasible. I can get the money together if I plan for it.

Don't worry! At age 7, my DD competed a year of mostly Xcel Bronze + two meets as AAU L3. We switched gyms after that, and my DD went on to successfully compete JO. Now that you understand the timing and fees better, it sounds like you can plan for the switch next year. It won't be too late, unless you are looking at a very "picky" program. And it sounds like you have a couple of less intense options in your area that might work.

I do, however, agree that the earlier you switch the better. Without question, the scoring and competition in JO were much harder for my DD than in either Xcel or AAU (at least in our area; I know there are differences in how AAU programs stack up in other parts of the country). Personally, I would try to make the move after AAU L3 (next season) and hope that she is ready for JO L4. Start looking at the end of the JO season, instead of waiting until the end of the AAU season. I personally would not recommend waiting much longer than that for a variety of reasons including age and score-out requirements; Also, depending on the nature of your AAU program (number of hours, focus of coaching, etc.), you may find that the higher AAU and JO levels are not exactly equivalent in terms of form, expectations, up-training, etc. Good luck!

Don't worry! At age 7, my DD competed a year of mostly Xcel Bronze + two meets as AAU L3. We switched gyms after that, and my DD went on to successfully compete JO. Now that you understand the timing and fees better, it sounds like you can plan for the switch next year. It won't be too late unless you are looking at a very "picky" program. And it sounds like you have a couple of less intense options in your area that might work.

I do, however, agree that the earlier you switch the better. Without question, the scoring and competition in JO were much harder for my DD than in either Xcel or AAU (at least in our area; I know there are differences in how AAU programs stack up in other parts of the country). Personally, I would try to make the move after AAU L3 (next season) and hope that she is ready for JO L4. Start looking at the end of the JO season, instead of waiting until the end of the AAU season. I personally would not recommend waiting much longer than that for a variety of reasons including age and score-out requirements; Also, depending on the nature of your AAU program (number of hours, focus of coaching, etc.), you may find that the higher AAU and JO levels are not exactly equivalent in terms of form, expectations, up-training, etc. Good luck!

I think if I tried to switch at the end of the JO season (December here), both my DD and DH would flip out on me. DD's first competition won't be until at least January 2019 for next season. I would have already paid more than 1/2 competition fees by then. I'm just going to try to make the switch towards the end of the AAU season knowing that DD will likely have to repeat L3 (because she'll be jumping in late). Thank you though. I FEEL like I have a plan in place. Unless, something changes in my DD and how she feels about gymnastics. Thanks again.

Oops -- I was assuming that your JO season ended in March/April -- making May/June the perfect time to look. Sorry! (ETA: Just meant that waiting until July is late for some gyms, who have already started JO summer training and might not be taking on new gymnasts....)

Oops -- I was assuming that your JO season ended in March/April -- making May/June the perfect time to look. Sorry! (ETA: Just meant that waiting until July is late for some gyms, who have already started JO summer training and might not be taking on new gymnasts....)
I know. Compulsories go August - December here in JO. We'll likely make the switch in June... which I know is late. They were open to trying her out this time around but I decided that the decision was just too rushed. Hopefully, it will be okay come next summer. If our seasons lined up better it would make things MUCH easier!

@WingingIt As someone whose daughter made the switch at 10, my advice is simply to switch as soon as you can. I do not say this to disparage other gymnastics governing bodies. My Daughter did USAIGC and she loved it as did I. I say switch as soon as you can because to be a level 10 is just as much about skill acquisition, technique, mental fortitude, as it is about conditioning the body. The muscle needed to perform the skills and protect the joints take years to build.

I know. Compulsories go August - December here in JO. We'll likely make the switch in June... which I know is late. They were open to trying her out this time around but I decided that the decision was just too rushed. Hopefully, it will be okay come next summer. If our seasons lined up better it would make things MUCH easier!
Would the new gym consider letting her switch (Starting in August) but hold off competing (and the associated meet fees) until October?
That would buy you some time and cost a little less... and you could give the current gym notice that you are leaving at the end of the month, so you didnt have to pay both gyms the same month.

Here, most switch from AAU to USAG at Level 4. There were very few level 4s at the AAU state meet, and no level 5s. It is VERY competitive through level 3, and they do the JO routines--except for Level 3, which is better for bars than USAG, because they skip the dreaded mill circle, and do a squat-on, jump to high bar, long hang pullover and tap swings instead; they also vault using the table at level 3. So don't worry about doing Level 3 AAU right now, it is as good as USAG, and her progression is the same. But after that, depending on the state, there may not be any competition for her, and the AAU track does not attract college scouts for the most part.

Thank you, everyone, for your input. I think I'm feeling good about my decision. We're going to stay at the current gym one more season. This is not just a financial decision but also because the idea of a sudden move freaked my kid out lol. I'm hoping it will be okay. There is a chance that the gym will drop level 3 in favor of Xcel Silver.... and I'm praying it doesn't happen because I feel like a transition from level 3 would be smoother. Thanks everyone.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back