Welcome to our Gymnastics Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Upstart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxStumpyxx

Proud Parent
Mar 15, 2015
Country
United Kingdom
My youngest gymmie has been talking about doing drills for an Upstart, what axactly is it? I think it is something they do on bars.

GymRays

Verified Coach
Verified Coach
Coach
Proud Parent
Former Gymnast
Dec 2, 2014
Country
USA
I believe its just another name for a glide kip.

xxStumpyxx

Proud Parent
Mar 15, 2015
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, from watching the video and from little I have seen, my gymmie does the jump and brings her legs towards the bar but hasn't got her feet to the bar, she is doing this nice and slow with proper form being taught.

Reactions: sce and WSCoachLY

Iwannabemargo

Numpty Watcher
Proud Parent
Former Gymnast
Aug 28, 2011
UK
Country
United Kingdom
yep, an upstart is what the Americans call a Kip. It is a foundation move, very important. It takes quite a while to master and comes and goes in the beginning but she will get it in the end.

xxStumpyxx

Proud Parent
Mar 15, 2015
Country
United Kingdom
I have no doubt that she will get it one day if she continues in gymnastics, even if she is the last to get it in her group. She has very basic bars skills such as back hip circle, a decent cast, straddle undershoot, pullover and a squat on that is still in its early stages and is hit and miss.

@agscc401

Proud Relative
Gymnast
Nov 1, 2014
Country
USA
It is a lot harder than it looks.... and will come and go. She will have it perfect one day-and then see it again in a month.... Jk it isn't that bad... but it is a skill that is hard to get, and hard to make consistently :rolleyes::eek::D:(:):)

xxStumpyxx

Proud Parent
Mar 15, 2015
Country
United Kingdom
What is the big deal with the Upstart/Kip? My daughter doesn't seem to be bothered by it, she is more bothered with her squat on, even with that she doesn't seem worried or stressed out. I think my daughter treats the Upstart as just another new skill to learn and to be honest I see it exactly the same way.

Dr Maleficent

Proud Parent
Oct 29, 2013
Country
France
What is the big deal with the Upstart/Kip? My daughter doesn't seem to be bothered by it, she is more bothered with her squat on, even with that she doesn't seem worried or stressed out. I think my daughter treats the Upstart as just another new skill to learn and to be honest I see it exactly the same way.
The big deal is that fairly often gymnasts struggle months to get it only to lose it for a month! It is a tricky skill and I'm sure you have read numerous laments on here about the frustrations experienced by gymmies and their parents which bear testament to the particular fiendishness of this move!

Last edited:

marie83

Coach
Coach
Proud Relative
Former Gymnast
Judge
Club Owner
Mar 23, 2009
West Midlands, England
Country
United Kingdom
It's good that she has that attitude! It's a big deal because without the upstart it's very difficult to progress through the grades and levels.
A good coach will spend plenty of time doing drills though and not make it a massive deal whether a gymnast has it 'in time', but will still celebrate when they finally get it because it really is a deceptively difficult skill!

Reactions: stillgotmyleotard

txgymfan

Administrator
Staff member
Coach
Proud Relative
Fan
Sep 4, 2008
Houston
Country
USA
The kip is one of the first gatekeeper skills. If you don't get it there are no alternatives. Some gymnasts don't have a problem with it, many do.

Reactions: stillgotmyleotard

Gymbee06

Proud Parent
Aug 8, 2013
My dd has been training this on and off for a year and is about to start consistently training it I'm not expecting to see it anytime before Xmas lol I'm glad of chalkbucket and the info in here otherwise I would never have known about the coming and going with skill now I know that it will come and go I know I won't be bothered it taking ages to appear

stillgotmyleotard

Trainee Numpty Watcher
Proud Parent
Former Gymnast
Feb 15, 2014
Country
United Kingdom
I think the upstart is the first time a gymnast really learns to use their own weight and timing on a bar. Once they have it, they generally improve immensely. So yes. Important skill.

Reactions: BachFlyer

Learning Parent GB

Proud Parent
Fan
May 21, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I like the term gatekeeper skill. It's one that feels nearly there forever. I have a slightly more positive experience of it because although DD was the last in her squad to get it, she was fortunate that once she had it it stayed. So don't stress over the timings - it will come in the end.

Reactions: Ali'sMom
Status
Not open for further replies.