WAG Upstart?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What is the big deal with the Upstart/Kip? My daughter doesn't seem to be bothered by it, she is more bothered with her squat on, even with that she doesn't seem worried or stressed out. I think my daughter treats the Upstart as just another new skill to learn and to be honest I see it exactly the same way.

It is indeed just another new skill. But when it comes down to learning it, a cartwheel or bwo can be "okay". A kip is more of a CAN or CANNOT do it. Even once the gymmie CAN, it still can take a lot of work to make it pretty. And it takes a lot of strength that some girls don't realize until working the kip (DD was one of them).

I like the term gatekeeper skill. It's one that feels nearly there forever. I have a slightly more positive experience of it because although DD was the last in her squad to get it, she was fortunate that once she had it it stayed. So don't stress over the timings - it will come in the end.

That's my DD - last one to get it, but it stuck (after coming back from being sick), and halfway through the meet season, she hit 1st place for bars.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back