WAG Upstart?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

xxStumpyxx

Proud Parent
My youngest gymmie has been talking about doing drills for an Upstart, what axactly is it? I think it is something they do on bars.

Thanks, from watching the video and from little I have seen, my gymmie does the jump and brings her legs towards the bar but hasn't got her feet to the bar, she is doing this nice and slow with proper form being taught.

yep, an upstart is what the Americans call a Kip. It is a foundation move, very important. It takes quite a while to master and comes and goes in the beginning but she will get it in the end.

I have no doubt that she will get it one day if she continues in gymnastics, even if she is the last to get it in her group. She has very basic bars skills such as back hip circle, a decent cast, straddle undershoot, pullover and a squat on that is still in its early stages and is hit and miss.

It is a lot harder than it looks.... and will come and go. She will have it perfect one day-and then see it again in a month.... Jk it isn't that bad... but it is a skill that is hard to get, and hard to make consistently :rolleyes::eek::D:(:):)

What is the big deal with the Upstart/Kip? My daughter doesn't seem to be bothered by it, she is more bothered with her squat on, even with that she doesn't seem worried or stressed out. I think my daughter treats the Upstart as just another new skill to learn and to be honest I see it exactly the same way.

What is the big deal with the Upstart/Kip? My daughter doesn't seem to be bothered by it, she is more bothered with her squat on, even with that she doesn't seem worried or stressed out. I think my daughter treats the Upstart as just another new skill to learn and to be honest I see it exactly the same way.
The big deal is that fairly often gymnasts struggle months to get it only to lose it for a month! It is a tricky skill and I'm sure you have read numerous laments on here about the frustrations experienced by gymmies and their parents which bear testament to the particular fiendishness of this move!

Last edited:

It's good that she has that attitude! It's a big deal because without the upstart it's very difficult to progress through the grades and levels.
A good coach will spend plenty of time doing drills though and not make it a massive deal whether a gymnast has it 'in time', but will still celebrate when they finally get it because it really is a deceptively difficult skill!

The kip is one of the first gatekeeper skills. If you don't get it there are no alternatives. Some gymnasts don't have a problem with it, many do.

My dd has been training this on and off for a year and is about to start consistently training it I'm not expecting to see it anytime before Xmas lol I'm glad of chalkbucket and the info in here otherwise I would never have known about the coming and going with skill now I know that it will come and go I know I won't be bothered it taking ages to appear

I think the upstart is the first time a gymnast really learns to use their own weight and timing on a bar. Once they have it, they generally improve immensely. So yes. Important skill.

I like the term gatekeeper skill. It's one that feels nearly there forever. I have a slightly more positive experience of it because although DD was the last in her squad to get it, she was fortunate that once she had it it stayed. So don't stress over the timings - it will come in the end.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back