MAG Uptraining and new skills excitement!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

J&A's mom

Proud Parent
With regionals soon, and some uptraining already started, I thought we could have a happy thread for it!!

Yesterday, my older son was really excited to do a kip on the pbars....on the first try.

Today, my younger son(preteam) earned a shamrock shake by getting his first unassisted pullover.

WooHoo!!

Add your excitement>..............:p:D:):cool:

Awesome! Good job on the kip and pullover!!!

I am not sure about anything that DS has done, except he did get his back tuck back.

No real uptraining yet as regionals are next weekend. He is just putting the finishing details on his routines :) He is working a couple of the bonuses he doesn't have yet: front giants on high bar and the kip-cast-handstand-giants connection, layout on rings, and moy to support on Ps. not sure he will actually have any of those by regionals, but they are looking better for the future ;)

oh wait...he did start working the round-off entry to the vault (no idea what that is called) but he was very excited for it!

Ds just finished L4 and is so excited by the up training they are doing. I love when he comes home telling me they worked on things on pbars and rings and I need to watch YouTube to understand what he is talking about :) He also had me make a list of all the skills he needs to be a 5 next year, so cute :)

DS is working on giants and is beyond thrilled. They are also learning sole circles, though he will have some ways to go to beat his sister's record of 100!

D's newest skill he is working on is double fulls (back layout 2 twists) on tramp. He can't quite get it, but can make it about 1 3/4 twists :) LOL!

(what is a sole circle?)

They learn it in the strap bar. While holding on with their hands, the soles of their feet go on the bar and they go around and around and around and around and . . .

J did his straddle press handstand on the low rings this week! He is so excited to go to practice and work on new (L6) stuff now. BTW- he loves to do sole circles too!

THat straddle press is fun! D loves it.

I have seen D do the sole circle in strap! I just thought he was goofing around ;)

New skills and summer training are so awesome! Love reading about all your ds's accomplishments. GO BOYS GO!!!

I wasn't sure if I'd have much to say on this uptraining thread because ds has been telling me all week that they've been spending almost all of their time this week doing nothing but stretching and conditioning. He's so sore he didn't even want to go to practice tonight. Boy, is he glad he did though, because he was so excited to tell me that he got his giants both forwards and backwards by himself tonight! Yay! I thought he'd never do it!! He's not the most daring of gymnasts so it takes him longer than his team mates to get the "scary skills". He also said he's got his whole level 7 rings routine and the whole pommel routine with part of the bonus. It was a big day!

D had a couple of good days at workout, finally. He did his moore (Czechkehre) on the buck! I guess (and he is dictating here) he did a full scissor to circles on the handles to a moore, then circled out. He was pumped! Got skittles and everything! (it is the little things ;))

His little hands are a mess right now though. They are red and hot, and he says that they are tingly when he touches them. His coaches say it is because he is used to do mushroom and pommel with no handles, so the work on the handles is cause him so problems. We are keeping an eye on it for now, but it is rather freaky to see!

Great work on the pommel! Hope his hands feel better. We have some crazy looking feet right now. J got to do his press HS on the real rings and balance his feet/legs? on the straps and managed to get little cuts all over the top of his feet. He looks like he was attacked by our cat. Also I caught a few attempts at non strap giants and wow-he loves it and they really look pretty good but I'm not sure I'm ready for this Level 6 stuff!

Those are fun!!! Both the handstands and giants. D loves both. When he first got to do the handstand in a meet he was so excited he was bouncing!

I hear you on the "ready" for stuff! D is working 7/8 stuff, and I can't watch anymore! Scares me. He was working double backs this week,a nd that about did me in. Scary stuff coming for sure. Scary for mom= fun for kid!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this part of the season. New skills, big smiles, so much excitement! I love meet season, but this has got to be the best part! No stress and so much happiness.

Love to watch the Level 6 dismount off rings. So much prettier than the Level 5, and way way way better than Level 4! Worked on the Moy today on pbars and all kinds of fun stuff!

Oh....and the direction to "get some grips by the end of the month." Its real!

Yay for grips!! That's a big moment for sure.

Yesterday, DS came home all pumped up because ALL ON THE SAME DAY, MOM! 1) they worked on spotted giants on the pit bar, 2) he stuck a spotted flyaway off of the high bar, 3) they've started doing standing back tucks off a springboard onto a sting mat, 4) he's now up to about five loops on a pommel horse without pommels (on the floor), and 5), their coach is teaching them how to do pirouettes on a floor bar -- he holds them steady and they rotate themselves around.

One of his teammates' moms walked in right as her son was doing a tuck and nearly fainted.

Yay for grips! Is he getting both sets? The adjustment can be hard for some so be ready!!!

Profmom-Those are FUN skills! He is goign to have so much fun learning all these new skills!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back