Parents Uptraining and Updates

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

Ex member

My youngest dd (7) started her summer training this week and has spent 10 hours (including breaks for lunch) at gym split between two daytime sessions ( she usually does 5), from what I have heard and little I have seen (I dropped and ran for the first time this week) dd has been learning some new skills :

Front handspring on trampoline (going from only just flipping over onto her back using a crash mat to doing a front flip with no spot - albeit not pretty at the moment)
Running and jumping off the end of the high beam
First cartwheels with a spot on the high beam
Round off dismount off the high beam - first with spot and then independently
Front tuck summersault dismount off high beam - with spot
Split leaps

They did there usual normal stuff on the beam, trampette, bars, and vault as well as their usual conditioning and extra conditioning. They did some brutal looking stretching at the end of session - one where they kneel on the floor and the coach lifts one leg right up as high as it will go (each leg) and the another where they lay on their backs and the coach lifts their legs and then do a box split stretch ( dd can nearly get her feet to the floor), all the girls loved doing these stretches with the coach and asked for more.

Dd has her first competition in November and we have just had to order her first competition leotard (that got sprung on us today and had to be paid by Tuesday at the latest) I guess it is safer to say that the girls in dd's group are no longer on trial. They also have a beach trip (party) coming up in a couple of weeks that all the boys and girls from the development squads have been invited to.

One downside to having both dd's doing competitive gymnastics is that we have now come to a crossroads where they have to choose between gym and dancing as we have had a few clashes between dancing rehearsals for a summer show and gym training, the girls have chosen gymnastics and will give up dancing from September. If either one of my dd's miss dancing then I may find a different dance school that fits with the gymnastics schedule.

Mine either! It is nice to see them learning new things though. Your summer season starts late!

Yeah for new skills!...But two on the team? :eek: My pocket book couldn't handle it!

Their sessions are fairly cheap, my youngest dd does 5 hours a week and costs £49.50 every month (payments on he same date every month, my oldest dd sessions are £41 a month and she does 3 1/2 hours. My oldest is on the disability team and it is unlikely their hours will change much and I don't think my youngest dd's hours will increase on the path she is on (kind of like excel) unless she changes groups.

Summer training is usually charged at £5 per extra session, we have had no charge for extra's this summer due to a transition period at the gym ( lost 2 senior coaches - head coach and technical director within 2 months and haven't got a replacement yet, they free sessions are a thank you for our patience and loyalty through this hectic period).

Yeah for new skills!...But two on the team? :eek: My pocket book couldn't handle it!

@Pea'sMom

here in the UK we don't have the hours and costs you guys have. The majority of girls train less than 12 hours a week at most levels, no coaches fees for comps, no choreography fees (all our routines are optional), cheaper comp leos, meet fees tend to be around £ 25 ($42) and no air fares (the UK is about the size of Florida). Makes it all more doable.

@Amusibus

Ours have only been on school holidays for a week, the holidays run from 26th July to 6th September

Not all fees are equal mind you !

We pay approx £140 per month for 11 1/2 hours ( $235)
Average annual household income is £ 21,258 ($35,750) so gym is approximately 8% gross income, but our taxes are much higher

Ditto!!! Very jealous at how affordable it is in the UK, even with converting pounds to dollars your fee's don't cover a week of our training fees (forget all the other fees!) Wonder if I could talk DH into a job transfer... ;)

The fees might be cheaper but the USA system seems easier to understand..is there only two competitive paths in the USA? JO & Excel?

In the Uk things are not so clear cut unless you are either on the Elite track or Grades track as there are also many other competitions to take part in like Floor & Vault, General Gymnastics, Novice. There are probably more, I am sure that one of the more experienced Uk members can explain more.

The fees might be cheaper but the USA system seems easier to understand..is there only two competitive paths in the USA? JO & Excel?

In the Uk things are not so clear cut unless you are either on the Elite track or Grades track as there are also many other competitions to take part in like Floor & Vault, General Gymnastics, Novice. There are probably more, I am sure that one of the more experienced Uk members can explain more.

Nope, not so clear here either (as far as I can tell.) I think JO and Excel are the largest and, therefor,e most talked about. But there is IGC, AAU (?) and in NJ JOGA. All offer competitive tracks. But if elite is where you want to go, JO is your only option. Not sure if colleges recruit out of the other programs either... But interesting that there is not more consistency in either country.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back