MAG uptraining!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

profmom

Proud Parent
DS and several of his teammates are going to a Future Stars camp at the beginning of June, so they have been working on related things. Lots of circles and loops on floor horses and tumbl trak drills for back handsprings. They've also been doing a lot of giants in straps, and a couple of them have their back giants on the real bar. Last night, the coach asked them if they wanted to try some half pirouettes on the cranked down pbars, and a bunch of them went for it and made it! DS is really trying to get his back uprise to handstand but can't quite do it yet. He reports though that he has his uprise on rings.

So what are your guys doing in the gym these days?

That is great!

I have no clue. In the past 2 weeks, with nationals, cancellations, eco-week, etc, D has hardly had practice. I do know he started work on stutz, keeping working on tsuk, double back off rings/high bar, double full on tumbl trak, and wu, magyar, and sivado(?) on pommel. Most of that he has been working for a while....hopefully he will see some progress when he gets back from eco week on wednesday.

Those are really cool skills, Skschlag! Sounds like he's going to be a REALLY solid L8 next season!

Aww, he will get them. He is awesome on pommel horse, and I think he'll do great with twisting skills on floor.

DS elder - double back to 8 incher, full in pit, has all the L7 rings except not quite the uprise, Tsuks, giants on pit bar (both ways), pirouette on Pbars, and a bunch of stuff on the pommel for L7...

DS younger - giants on strap bar this week! Has his L6 floor, pbars, rings except muscle up, pommel - Just starting to get to vault on the table, made it over at 2 this weekend. great kip on pbars (its beautiful) but still intermittent kip on high bar....

J's been working lots of basics for future stars. He'll test as a 9 yo so his goals is to do everything "perfectly". I saw him do much better giants in strap the other day - he's working on power so he was wearing his tennis shoes(?). He's also down to a touch spot on his pbar giants!

DS is 10. He's working on so many new skills!! He already has his pommel and vault skills for the next level but he's still missing some on the other events so he's currently working:
  • Floor: FHS and ROBHS
  • Rings: Muscle up, inlocate, dislocate
  • P-Bar: back uprise, swing to handstand, Wende dismount, peach basket
  • High bar: kip, 3/4 giant to support
These are really exciting times for him, he comes home very excited most days about what he's done at the gym :D

Haha, DS was sooooo sore yesterday morning! But he can't wait to get back into the gym tonight!

What level is your son hoping to compete next year, Gymmomx2? Sounds like he's a busy guy!

Haha, DS was sooooo sore yesterday morning! But he can't wait to get back into the gym tonight!

What level is your son hoping to compete next year, Gymmomx2? Sounds like he's a busy guy!

We're in Canada (Ontario) so the level system is a little different. He would be L2 next year, I think that is approx USAG L5-ish. He told me they're also working on a bunch of L3 skills, I don't remember the names of them all :p

DS elder did his front giants repeatedly on real bar this week - and giggled like a 6 year old girl the whole time around the first one! So happy to see this kid taking off after being stuck at L5 for 3 years....Also did a handspring front tuck vault....hope if there are any other late starters out there they stick with it!

Don't forget about the scissors! Eek!

DS alleges that he is working on a RO-BHS-BLO on floor. I will have to see it to believe it. Lovely though he is to me, he is still a Gumby boy.

LOL! I get that profmom!

D just started working his double full on resi....I love when he twists! He was also working 1 1/2 twists. and front fulls front 1 1/2 twists.

Now see, my boys are the opposite of gumbies...so the tumbling is easy for them - both have ROBHSBLO and older is starting to twist (they were L5 last year) - but some of the other events are really hard for them......

I am glad I have a girl, at least her skills have names to disguise the inherent danger of the sport...sheesh! ;)

LOL. I asked him today if he actually dislocates anything in this skill and he said "it feels a little weird in the shoulders".

Anyone know these skills got their names?

We are in the process of switching gyms and in the "trial week" we've already seen improvement and some "aha" moments for both my little guy and a neighbor. I am excited to see how much he is going to learn with this coaching approach. It seems to suit him well. He'll be working on polishing his current skills and leaning new ones (so close on his BHS) - we are all excited.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back