US WAG live now Pan Am games

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

On this page you scroll down the index to Olympic sports and the Pan Am replays are there.
espn.go.com/watchespn/index#type/replay/

Question, for those of us who know nothing technical about this at all. I watched the video, and although she clearly doesn't land it well, it doesn't look dangerous (her execution) to the untrained eye. What about her landing could snap her legs or kill her? I am not being sarcastic, I genuine want to understand this stuff better.

Thanks for asking the question, I was going to ask the same thing.

Sorry if I missed this being explained somewhere but I am curious. Why didn't the U.S. compete anyone for the vault individual competition?

Sent from my iPhone using ChalkBucket

So I grabbed a screen shot of her landing. How is this not considered a fall? I mean she stands up form this, but she touches the ground here. As well, her form is not good even during her pre-flight.
Screen Shot 2015-07-12 at 8.17.10 PM.png

Per my understanding of the rules (and I'm no judge!), it depends on what hits the ground first -- her feet or her butt.

Feet hit first = credit for the vaułt with whatever deductions apply
Butt hits first = no credit for the vaułt (scored a 0.0)

The judging panel clearly deemed that her feet hit the ground first, so she was credited for the vaułt and scored accordingly. That being said -- I think this was way over scored. No way she should get a 15.1 for this....IMHO!

Per my understanding of the rules (and I'm no judge!), it depends on what hits the ground first -- her feet or her butt.

Feet hit first = credit for the vaułt with whatever deductions apply
Butt hits first = no credit for the vaułt (scored a 0.0)

The judging panel clearly deemed that her feet hit the ground first, so she was credited for the vaułt and scored accordingly. That being said -- I think this was way over scored. No way she should get a 15.1 for this....IMHO!
Exactly my point, sure she got credit for doing the vault but should have received a big deduction, on the landing alone.

I saw some gymnasts from other countries doing a handspring FT with a full twist, which I think is a 5.2 SV. That's only a tenth below a Yurchenko 1.5. One gymnast, I think from Mexico or maybe Cuba, did a really cool looking hand front laid out and twisted, which according to the table I looked up, gets you up to a 5.8. I don't watch that much elite gym, so I hadn't seen very many of these kinds of vaults aside from the Dragulescus on the men's side.

So did Pena get dinged for a fall? I'm not seeing a 9.1 execution minus a point for a fall.

Anyway, on a happier note, congratulations to team Canada and team Brazil! Oh my goodness, that very young small Brazilian gymnast, Flavia Lopes Saraiva, is terrific on beam! Is Jessica Lopez resting up for worlds? She was so great last year at the Pan Ams!

So what's the general reaction/reception to the US girls from this meet? I assume it's the first international competition for some of the girls, but I wasn't particularly blown away by any scores. Where they holding back bigger skills because they didn't them at this competition? What's the general consensus whether any will make the Olympic team? Obviously all are very talented, but it seems like they have an uphill battle to jump over the some of the more experienced seniors (including Douglas and Raisman).

Sorry if I missed this being explained somewhere but I am curious. Why didn't the U.S. compete anyone for the vault individual competition?

YOu need a solid second vault to compete, my guess is none of them have one good enough.

So what's the general reaction/reception to the US girls from this meet? I assume it's the first international competition for some of the girls, but I wasn't particularly blown away by any scores. Where they holding back bigger skills because they didn't them at this competition? What's the general consensus whether any will make the Olympic team? Obviously all are very talented, but it seems like they have an uphill battle to jump over the some of the more experienced seniors (including Douglas and Raisman).

They are talented enough to beat the competition, which is I am sure what was the desired outcome. Had USAG sent their A team they would have won by an enormous margin.

meets like this give the lower ranked national team girls a chance to compete on the international scene. I doubt that we will see any of them on the worlds team. Maybe Gowey or Hundley. But not the rest.

This is why girls try to compete for other countries if they have dual citizenship. The USA B team is miles stronger than the A teams in other countries, but that B team will not go to worlds or O's yet weaker girls from other countries will. Did you see Kaylee Cole from Texas Dreams competes for Bolivia?? Nice gymnast, but would not be on the Nat Team in the US. But she probably will be at worlds and maybe even O's.

Last edited:
I wish Maddie Desch had hit that crazy beam acro! Maybe she will for AA finals.

Yes, Bog, I did notice Kaylee Cole. Interesting! I wonder how many others like her there are out there training and living in the US.

Reactions: sce
Question, for those of us who know nothing technical about this at all. I watched the video, and although she clearly doesn't land it well, it doesn't look dangerous (her execution) to the untrained eye. What about her landing could snap her legs or kill her? I am not being sarcastic, I genuine want to understand this stuff better.

She has been doing this vault for years. This is the best she has EVER landed it in competition. That deep squat with the forces involved in a vault like that is terrible for her knees. Her face lashes forwArd toward her knees... And well, I have seen kids break bones with less impact than that.

Again, this is the best I have ever seen her land this vault. The other attempts I have seen are horrifying.
Yeah... Her coaches have lost their minds. I have zero respect for any coach that allows their athlete to get out and perform a skill that lands consistently in a manner that could snap both of her legs on Any given "good" landing.

And the judges should be ashamed of themselves for "rewarding" it. Completely ridiculous all the way around.
A pretty atrocious landing for sure. :eek: I love when gymnasts attempt daring skills, or skills that are seldom seen nowadays, but this girl is simply not consistent on this vault! And not being consistent on a vault such as a Produnova can be disastrous. She needs to block way more to get the additional height, and the slow turnover in the preflight causes a rotation that is just not fast enough. Also, the amount of force her body has to absorb and distribute on her landing in this skill is immense (even when the skill is landed correctly!), and if she's landing in a poor position like she does here, it can really cause some damage. Landings like hers are terrible for the knees and shins.

This is Yelena Produnova herself executing the vault beautifully. You can clearly see the difference.

Her coaches should really be having her develop this on the side until it is solid, rather than taking such a huge risk. She should have a different "placeholder" vault until the Produnova is safe. I would never let one of my athletes compete a skill that they cannot do safely yet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back