WAG USA gymnastics creates athlete assistance fund

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think this is crap unless USA gymnastics is putting a large amount of money in the fund, which they have not stated in the press release. The fact that they are pushing donations before talking about how much they are putting in the fund really incites me. This is their doing that this fund even needs to be created. It sends the wrong message to those of us who have children who have to be members, and that we parents pay for. Stop doing things like paying Steve Penny a $1M severance and instead put the money to helping these gymnasts. If I were to support one of these gymnasts (which I would) it would not be through this fund unless USAG puts their money where their mouth is. Plus, this is really a bit late don't ya' think? What I would like to see is a very transparent plan on what USA Gym is going to do overall, and don't trickle stuff out without thinking it through. And clearly, they need a new person to consult with or who is responsible for their PR who might have a clue to as to a good way to roll out their programs without further damaging the trust of those of us who have to be associated with them.

So who is donating?

I'm seriously considering it. I do wish they had stepped up and said we are seeding this fund with X amount of dollars. Are you in? I have some fears about how the funds will be disbursed, but I also want to put my money where my mouth is. And my mouth has been defending these young women for months.

I think this is crap unless USA gymnastics is putting a large amount of money in the fund, which they have not stated in the press release. The fact that they are pushing donations before talking about how much they are putting in the fund really incites me. This is their doing that this fund even needs to be created. It sends the wrong message to those of us who have children who have to be members, and that we parents pay for. Stop doing things like paying Steve Penny a $1M severance and instead put the money to helping these gymnasts. If I were to support one of these gymnasts (which I would) it would not be through this fund unless USAG puts their money where their mouth is. Plus, this is really a bit late don't ya' think? What I would like to see is a very transparent plan on what USA Gym is going to do overall, and don't trickle stuff out without thinking it through. And clearly, they need a new person to consult with or who is responsible for their PR who might have a clue to as to a good way to roll out their programs without further damaging the trust of those of us who have to be associated with them.
The current CEO has been in place for 2 months, the board is being completely rebuilt. People that were involved in the past are leaving, give the new ones a chance to move forward.

I think I sort of stand in the middle, not necessarily angry or unhappy about this development, but perhaps a little confused about motives and what exactly their plan is moving forward. I think it's a good step, but the cynical side of me wonders if they just saw the attention and positive response outside groups were getting for starting similar funds and decided to jump on board to save face. But then again, if it benefits the athletes, does motive even matter? It does seem they have a good balance of people managing and distributing the money which I appreciate.
At the same time, I feel like they are still missing the point and it seems a bit shallow and perhaps a bit out of touch with the actual needs of those directly impacted. Several of these athletes are in this position because USAG (among others, not saying USAG has the greatest culpability in all of this) didn't fully listen to the concerns of athletes and I feel like that aspect of not only listening, but actually hearing the athletes and their concerns, is still absent from this. But maybe there is more going on behind the scenes and this is just the first phase that has gone public.
I would love to see a group from USAG invite the survivors to sit down with them and ask them what they need most as well as what they want to see happen. Those individuals have much greater insight into the whole situation than any outside source and I am sure have a lot to offer in moving forward.
It is a step, and I think any forward progress on the part of USAG is great at this point, especially with how new the CEO is, I just hope to see greater depth in the weeks and months to come and for this to be just the start of many efforts to reform.

Several of these athletes are in this position because USAG (among others, not saying USAG has the greatest culpability in all of this) didn't fully listen to the concerns of athletes and I feel like that aspect of not only listening, but actually hearing the athletes and their concerns, is still absent from this.

I would love to see a group from USAG invite the survivors to sit down with them and ask them what they need most as well as what they want to see happen. Those individuals have much greater insight into the whole situation than any outside source and I am sure have a lot to offer in moving forward.

From what I understand, USAG has not yet been in contact with Aly Raisman. She has been the most vocal of the USAG-culpable survivors. I would rather Kerry Perry reach out to her, and set up a time to have the hard discussions. How do they know what the athletes need the fund to cover without speaking to any of them first?

I'm seriously considering it. I do wish they had stepped up and said we are seeding this fund with X amount of dollars. Are you in? I have some fears about how the funds will be disbursed, but I also want to put my money where my mouth is. And my mouth has been defending these young women for months.
I will, but as stated, only if USAGym communicates what they are providing. They need some more skin in this game. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back