USAG Age Requirements

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

?? It's USAG... USA Gymnastics.

I've been involved with gymnastics for 15 years as a gymnast (L9 USAG, college club), coach, and judge, and I would be wary of any coach who promised anything about having a firm plan... because those plans fall through more often than not. Gymnastics is not about zooming up levels; it's more like climbing a mountain. Some kids race to the top... some try to race up to the top and fall off the mountain... some are like me and progress at the speed of a turtle but surpass most of the zoomers in the long run. It's hard to see beyond now or next season when you're in the moment, but one year means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Personally, I think that you can absolutely tell physical talent at a young age. However, you have no clue about how they will develop mentally, if they'll burn out or lose interest, if they'll be injury-prone, etc. I see absolutely no good reason to push kids up the levels before they're ready because 95+% of gymnasts will quit before they graduate from HS, and at least half of them will not get scholarships for gymnastics. While I dislike spending hours correcting text in routines, I think it's necessary to spend extra time on the basics, making sure that they have a strong foundation for future skills. I do not think that pushing kids with squatty FHS or crunchy BHS to add more skills now is a good idea. Spend that extra time to correct bad habits now; it'll save time in the long run.

I am kind of late getting in on this coversation, but, I have to say how much I agree with the quote above. I have seen talented kids that start out like gang busters and then die out early. They loose interest, loose their work ethic. I have seen many from my dd's team quit the sport for a variety of reasons.

Moving up levels is part of the progression. I do not understand the race to move up. Take the time to enjoy each level, since we never know when it will be our last, either by our choice or injury etc...

I completely see the frustration of altering a plan because of one child not being old enough. If that happens and your child is truely at the top of the standings at each level 5 meet, then that is not right. If you child is just hitting the minimums for mobility out of level 5, then they just may not be ready. Only time will tell.

During the summer, I thought perhaps my dd should repeat level 5. She really struggles on bars. Her coaches did not agree with me. I have absolutely no experience with gymnastics and simply followed their advise. She had her first meet a few weeks ago and really impressed me. Bars are starting to click for her. She did not score a 35 or 36, but did great for herself and qualified for sectionals. We still have the rest of the season to go and lots of time to improve.

The bottom line is this...
She loves gymnastics. She has fun at gymnastic and works hard. She is probably not the most talented kid on her team, but she is one of the hardest workers and one of the most mentally strong competitors. I am really proud. (and I would be just as proud if she repeated level 5 and was scoring the 36's and winning 1st place on everything)

It's hard to convey intent on a forum and the following comes off a little mean. That's not my intention at all.....so when reading, use a really nice voice :)

I didn't take Shawn's "stuck" comment as being rude at all and I really don't think she meant it that way.

I don't know why everyone is so quick to criticize her on her daughter's gymnastics path. It may not be for a lot of kids....but who are we to say it's not right for her daughter and family. We're merely outside observers with, in the scheme of things, a small amount of knowledge about their lives.

Obviously every parent on this message board is a little over zealous or we wouldn't be coming to a forum to talk about our child's sport. Look at me...my daughter doesn't even do it anymore and I come here and read about other people's progress.....how sick is that?!?

I don't feel that anyone is vilifying a poster, and I don't believe that was anyone's intent. Rather, I feel that many of us are looking at this situation from very different perspectives and are trying to provide our own realistic thoughts, which probably comes across as pessimism. I've been involved with gymnastics for exactly 3/4 of my life as a gymnast (all 15 years), coach (5 years), and as a judge (4 years), and I've seen many families who had wonderful experiences, and many who walked away disappointed and disillusioned.

I looked up my program from L5/6 state. Out of 516 girls, 6 got scholarships for gymnastics and 1 was a walk-on who quit after a year. Even if you only look at the youngest age groups (combining the 7-8-year-old L5s and the 8-9-year-old L6s), the odds were still only 2 scholarships to 107 kids. That's less than a 2% chance of a scholarship, let alone elite. These are statistics that I think every parent should know-- the likelihood of ANY gymnast staying in the sport through high school is incredibly low, and the focus IMO shouldn't be moving up levels, learning specific skills, or sticking to a plan, but on enjoying gymnastics while it lasts and learning from the experience. Gymnastics is a bumpy but always entertaining ride because you'll always find things that surprise you. :)

Yes, I think we all worry about how an excited parent can effect a child. Who isn't thrilled when being told their child is good. But having the "stuck" mentality can pass down to the child. I know of a second year L4 who is not 7 years old yet and is off to a great start. She has won her first three meets - but because the mother likes to point out she is only there because she is not old enough for L5, the girl cries that her scores are not high enough (35-36+ AA)! On the opposite end, I knew of a graduating L8 who said she was able to stay in the sport and enjoy it because she learned not to worry too much about her scores and just enjoyed having the opportunity to perform. When a 12 year old L8 falls off the beam and cries that her mom is going to be mad, you know it is a matter of time before that girl quits (which I have seen happen).

The more informed a parent is, the better they can make decisions. Ask questions, but don't be afraid of what the answers might be. There are lots of things to consider, such as time in training, time away from family, costs (Shawn Johnson's parents said they had to refinance their house twice!), the effect on other children in the family. Like others have said, it's great to have a goal, but you have to be flexible with the plan. I don't think anyone doubts any child's ability, but have all seen different things happen. We just want to share to help with the more informed decision. I feel bad for a six year old that cries because she thinks she's not good enough.

I don't really care if anyone sounds offensive, is offensive or whatever. Please no one take what I say below personally because I really don't know what anyone's personal situation is.

Every child is different and the factor of who is coaching them (e.g., do they have tops, elite, move up quickly, require a 31 or a 37.5 to move up, etc.) magnifies those differences and the "path" they are on. I therefore do not believe that "it's a marathon, not a sprint" is a mantra for all gymnastics. I believe that for SOME children, it's a marathon, not a sprint, but for others they'd rather flash in the sport for a few years and then be done with it and happily move on. They key there is HAPPY and many kids are happy to move up fast to L7 and/or L8 and then move on to something else more fun to them. These kids might detest compulsories and the repetition. There is nothing wrong with that. Some gymnasts - whether they move up quickly or not - may be 1000X more "talented" than Susie Q, but Susie Q has the mentality to stay with the sport and do NCAA while the other kid does not. There is nothing wrong with either approach.

It is also NOT correct that even many or most children that are moved up quickly will burn out. It is true for some kids, but it is equally true that many kids who are moved up one-level-per-year burn out or are mentally or physically unable to obtain optional skills if they hit certain levels at an older age. Heck, look around any gym, how many Level 8s and up do you see? How many gymnasts age 14 and above are there? Not many. And they were all probably on different paths but all ended up in the same spot: retiring.

If a child is extremely talented and wishes to be an elite - as some posters here believe their children to be - then what level they compete at any given time is wholly irrelevant. What IS important, as another posted said, is their basics (shapes, fundamental technique, etc.) and that they are introduced progressive skills at a rate appropriate for them. They also need extensive conditioning and flexibility training - perhaps more of that than even skill training - when they are younger.

I am so very much NOT impressed by a 5yo chucking a ro/bhs/back tuck with no flight and her head so far back it touches her back. Ditto the scrunchy backhandsprings of a 3yo or whatever was said here too. These are not a signs of elite potential. Now, that same child may really impress me with her quicktwitch or natural shape, but if someone (whether coach or parent) is allowing the horrible back tuck or bhs to happen, then it's a strong indicator that someone doesn't know what they are doing to the long-term detriment of that child. Of course, many early skills are playing and are fun and there's nothing wrong with that so long as it's not regularly taught to the point that bad habits set in.

I am not in polly-anna-land that move-ups are not important to training becuase they are. If you attend a gym that solely works routines for a particular level, then you're probably not going to have training up and some kids really need that (whether they are extremely talented or not). It's also extremely important to have friends in this sport. It keeps kids happy and gives them a peer group that can keep them motivated as they get older. At the same time, if one friend is a L9 and the other is a L6, hopefully they can still be friends. Many gyms cross-train training groups depending on the size of their gym, so L6s can train alongside a L9 for at least part of the day.

I'd like to say that we can all pick the gym that is most appropriate for our kids but life doesn't work that way. We all may work, have other family commitments, etc. and are greatly confined by our geography. If someone has their child at the best gym that they can GET TO, it still may be that it's not the right gym for their child and therefore there WILL be chafing as the square peg fits into the round hole. There's nothing wrong with that so long as we all recognize (AND I think we ALL do) that our personal opinions about our children do not relate to what's best for any other child.

At least for my state, the Sept. 1 deadline is for boys, while the girls compete according to the age they are on the last day of the state competition. I was lucky enough to have one of each in gymnastics! (only the girl kept with it. my son quit when he found out they wanted him to practice five days a week)

I think that a lot of the responses in this thread were spurred by Shawn's original comment quoted below. Boo just turned 7 years old, which is still very young, so I think people's posts were in reaction to Boo's age and Shawn's reaction to the coach's change in training/competition plans for her.

DD was supposed to use these spring meets for mobility and now she can't do that, which means she's stuck in L5 until next fall, messing up the plans her HC had for her progression.

I don't think it matters how this thread started - it has developed into a really interesting debate. I hope Shawn doesn't mind her thread 'moving on'. Some of the posts have really made me think. This is why i come to a forum like this - to learn and to be made to think. (and yes to step back a little!) Happy new year to everyone and please continue dishing out the wisdom - from every available angle - I want to hear it all!

I'm chiming in on this one pretty late as well...

There was a girl at our gym who competed a full season of L4 at age 6 and a full season of L5 at age 7. Then last year she did one meet of L6 and one meet of L7 and went on to compete the rest of the season at L8 as an 8 year old. She was an amazing girl. She scored around a 36 in each of the L6 and L7 meets that she did to test out. However, I recently found out that she is no longer doing gymnastics anymore this season. I don't know the reasons, but I heard it was maybe due to some kind of injury. In my opinion, I think that's a shame. This girl had a lot of potential, and I can't help but wonder if she had been allowed to take it slower, if she might not still be around this year. Of course, I don't really know their situation and the reasons, etc., so I'm just going off of my opinion. My youngest daughter just turned 7 last month, and while I think she can do some really amazing things for her age, she is in L4 now, and I can't even imagine her jumping over 2 levels. For all I know, she will probably be in L4 for another year. However, we don't have any special plans for her gymnastics, so I guess I can't really relate to what Shawn is saying. We are doing gymnastics for as long as my DD enjoys and has the desire to do it.

Although at the same time, I would probably be a bit upset if the a whole team was being kept down on account of one kid, but as others have already pointed out, there are probably other reasons for this decision as well. My DD was actually assumed to go to L4 last year, but she would have had to miss the first 3 meets since she didn't turn 6 until late December, so they just left her down on training team another year. This extra year of preparation is paying off now, and looking back I can see that it all worked out for the best.

sanmateo_funny0349.jpg

I found this picture in an add for YMCA youth gymnastics. The captions reads "Beijing or Bust

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back