WAG USAG Backs Out of Buying Karolyi Ranch

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

They are going to want something for camps. Does anyone know when the lease expires?

Someone said the USOC does not allow athletes under sixteen.

Well we all suspected this would happen. It will be interesting to see where the decide to relocate. Frankly I just hope it somewhere that a shuttle can take you to the site, (or a cab or anything other than nothing)....

Well we all suspected this would happen. It will be interesting to see where the decide to relocate. Frankly I just hope it somewhere that a shuttle can take you to the site, (or a cab or anything other than nothing)....

I just heard this last night from the mom of our gymmie who does to development camp and I said "Hopefully it will be closer, cheaper, or easier to get to!".

They need that money for other things looming... lawyer's are expensive and so are payouts.
Yeah, there's definitely that. I really do hope USAG can come out at the end of all of this hardship and find their footing as the strong and highly respected organization they recently were. However, in order for that to happen, USAG needs to unconditionally support all of its athletes in a completely transparent and honest manner. Hopefully, the ongoing internal review of the organization's athlete abuse policies, as well as all of the lawsuits, will create a phenomenal new system of safety and support for all the athletes.

Seems like holding camps at the USOC where dorms, medical staff, etc are there for all national team athletes would make more sense...and certainly would be less "hidden".
The USOTC is the only real, logical choice at this point. If this move were made, then the entire artistic gymnastics branch of the USA would have a centralized training center. The current method of training and conducting monthly national camps does not have to change at all, just the location. It's kind of odd, actually, that this is not the case in our country. The success of the United States women in the last decade has been history-making in the sport, so the process and methods are clearly not the issue. The Karolyis, while pivotal in the USA's success of late, are no longer a driving force in our country's system; Marta is retired, so I believe it is a prime moment to relocate the women's national program. Additionally, it would be very wise for USAG to distance itself from the negative allegations and stories surrounding the Ranch.

It will be interesting to see what the next move is. I really hope it's a positive one!

I think the USOTC would be fine for Senior national team camps/selection camps, but it wouldn't allow USAG to continue with developmental type camps at the same location. At least I can't imagine bringing in large groups of 9-12 year olds would fly with USOTC rules or fit into their schedule. Plus a group of kids that age sleeping, eating, living in a complex with adult athletes would probably present a whole new set of concerns for parents and coaches.

I think the USOTC would be fine for Senior national team camps/selection camps, but it wouldn't allow USAG to continue with developmental type camps at the same location. At least I can't imagine bringing in large groups of 9-12 year olds would fly with USOTC rules or fit into their schedule. Plus a group of kids that age sleeping, eating, living in a complex with adult athletes would probably present a whole new set of concerns for parents and coaches.

Maybe the developmental camps could be done at one of WOGA's facilities since the program is run by Valeri? And the National Team Camps be at the USOTC? That might make more sense,

Maybe the developmental camps could be done at one of WOGA's facilities since the program is run by Valeri? And the National Team Camps be at the USOTC? That might make more sense,
I had initially thought about them using an already established gym, but that would require a good deal of planning. The gym being used would essentially need to put all, or at least some, of their regular activities on hold for the duration of the camp. And with camps happening quite regularly, that would likely put a pretty large strain on the gym being used. There is also the added difficulty of coordinating housing and meals for athletes and coaches since it would not be available on site. Definitely doable, but I'm not sure it will be the first choice.

I think it would be a challenge because there are so many camps, also. I went to usotc for camp for a different sport, and while amazing, there is a lot going on....cant imagine it working for gymnastics if they have as many camps as they do now.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back