WAG USAG enforcing leotard policy

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So this is the issue USAG chooses to focus one....ok then...
I expected someone to say this. But actually, enforcing rules that already exist which will help a lot of older gymnasts shouldn't take too much energy that it detracts from the more important things they have to deal with. I see it as a baseline that any organisation should have that they stand by their own rules.

People are correct that a rule saying "no backless leotards" has been in place for many years. HOWEVER, I emailed about clarification on the rule several years ago and was told that the leotard we had, with a strap across the back where a bra would be worn, was fine. With this new "enforcement" that leotard is no longer "fine." So to me this is not just a clarification, but a change of a rule that was in place.

It's also my understanding at this time that there is no clarification if just a mesh liner can be worn to side step the issue...or if the leotard itself must be modified.

I expected someone to say this. But actually, enforcing rules that already exist which will help a lot of older gymnasts shouldn't take too much energy that it detracts from the more important things they have to deal with. I see it as a baseline that any organisation should have that they stand by their own rules.

I would also imagine not abusing gymnasts is a rule that "already exists" and has always existed.... but with all that is going on in USAG, an organization fighting for its professional life, it chooses clothing to focus on...

So this is the issue USAG chooses to focus one....ok then...
Yes, and they should. The rule has been there, but due to some high profile gyms not following it and having high social media presence, they had to be more clear and issue a statement. No one can argue that there has been a trend to having less and less material on the backs of the leotards. Give an inch and they’ll take a mile has proven to be true in this case. I’m glad they’re focusing on it, as it needed to be addressed.

I would also imagine not abusing gymnasts is a rule that "already exists" and has always existed.... but with all that is going on in USAG, an organization fighting for its professional life, it chooses clothing to focus on...

I don’t think that this is necessarily putting clothing over the the more important issues, I just see this as being a quick and easy fix. Changing a culture of abuse is not as simple and easy as issuing a rules clarification statement and insisting that judges enforce the rule. I’m not trying to defend USAG, but I imagine just based on what I’ve seen online that they received many complaints regarding the rule violations and they knew this was something that could be addressed in a day. I’m fine with the organization making simple changes like this to help older gymnasts if it isn’t taking away time and energy from the bigger issues, and I can’t imagine that issuing a statement to clarify rules and enforce them did.

Our level 10s get to pick our leos (or at least they play a big role in choosing). I’ve never heard any of the girls complain about not being able to wear a bra. My daughter is younger so it’s not an issue for us but I think I would have heard something. But ours has the big strap across the back so maybe it covers the bra strap. They weren’t my favorite when we got them but they do look beautiful in competition.
The bra conversation comes up here every year when people get their leotards. There are always styles that frustrate girls that need support, celar stap bras are not supportive. USAG dis change and i makingt ehr ule effective Aug 2020. They already had a no backless letoard rule, this is just clarifying what constitutes backless. And all these styles can still be used, they just need a nude or mesh panel.

That’s like complaining when the police give speeding tickets while there are murders and robberies happening in the world. There are always more important things, doesn’t mean the less “important” rules shouldn’t be enforced. And it’s just a clarification from an already scheduled committee meeting, not a fully funded leotard back task force.

The committee minutes where the rule clarification was voted on last month say it will go into effect Aug. 2020.

Also instead of only a unitard for girls who want/need one, girls are also allowed to wear footless skin-tone tights or leo-matching tights. That should be nice because having a unitard made or a leo altered into one is not a quick and cheap task.

So our gym just emailed this week asking if anyone needs a larger size of the same open strappy back leotard. Obviously they know that the policy will be enforced (although I read above not until August 2020, so possibly they are taking advantage of a grace period?) so it seems odd to order new ones with the same open back, right? Hmmm....

If it
So our gym just emailed this week asking if anyone needs a larger size of the same open strappy back leotard. Obviously they know that the policy will be enforced (although I read above not until August 2020, so possibly they are taking advantage of a grace period?) so it seems odd to order new ones with the same open back, right? Hmmm....
if it’s the 2nd year or the last year that the team is using this style, it doesn’t seem odd. If they plan to keep using them past 7/2020, then it does seem odd. Our gym is about to place the order for the new team members who need a uniform, and it’s the 2nd year of using this leo, so anyone who needs a new one will be in the order.

Our gym said our leo was evaluated by USAG and we just barely passed. I'm not sure that matters since the timing is not until next August anyway. But we are using the same open/strappy back leo this year as we did last year. We just turned in our order forms!

Man, this is bad timing. Our gym got new Leo last year but they were messed up by GK so they had to get new ones again this year and they have open backs so we're going to have to pay for another new Leo.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back