WAG USAG enforcing leotard policy

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JessSyd makes a good point too, Aussie gymnasts after about the age of 8 or so don’t tend to wear leotards to training. They love their crop tops and bike pants (I think referred to as sports bras and booty shorts at least in the dance world in the US). If you have a class of pre teens or teens, in ,lost cases 95% of gymnasts will be wearing crop tops and not leotards.

So yes, culturally we are much more comfortable with showing the back than we are with high cut stuff.

And here in the UK probably we're not so much, because we don't get much summer to have skin on display outside of the gym. I'm not entirely joking with that btw. I'd certainly never let my daughter wear a crop top, but it has become much more prevalent in the gym (weights / cardio) world over the last 5 years. So seems more 'normal' nowadays.

And here in the UK probably we're not so much, because we don't get much summer to have skin on display outside of the gym. I'm not entirely joking with that btw. I'd certainly never let my daughter wear a crop top, but it has become much more prevalent in the gym (weights / cardio) world over the last 5 years. So seems more 'normal' nowadays.

That is a very interesting cultural difference. 3 year olds wear crop tops here, no one bats an eyelid.

JessSyd makes a good point too, Aussie gymnasts after about the age of 8 or so don’t tend to wear leotards to training. They love their crop tops and bike pants (I think referred to as sports bras and booty shorts at least in the dance world in the US). If you have a class of pre teens or teens, in ,lost cases 95% of gymnasts will be wearing crop tops and not leotards.

So yes, culturally we are much more comfortable with showing the back than we are with high cut stuff.
Crop tops are common in the US as well, especially in the summer, though many gyms ban anything but leos for safety purposes (claiming difficulty in spotting?) I think in general, It is not so much the revealing of the back but the fact that these types of styles make it nearly impossible to wear a bra without it looking ridiculous and are also unflattering for larger girls in general, sending a message that larger girls are not welcome. These styles also don't look comfortable to compete in, which just seems silly of you are wanting your gymnasts to do their best From a couple of replies, the Leo in question this season also had a more revealing front.

We happened to be watching womens college diving on the NCAA channel on weekend. Those suits are like thongs. OMG.....

Yep, diving suits have gone the same way. sometimes I watch a session at the local pool and again don't know where to look because of all the 15 year old arse on display.

Sometimes with all the straps, a tiny wedge bum, and cut away at the front it seems there's not much left.

It's a cut thing- the bums are cut away so the kids have to pull the suit up before a dive to be comfortable. old fashioned speedo type has much more fabric and is pulled down to sit right.

Although I was on holiday recently and the fashion generally seems to be as much bum cheek on display as possible.

Fortunately DD is funny about fabric, and will only wear plain lycra tanks. no sparkles, no straps, no mesh.

They appeared in the catalogues once US clubs started asking for them. I believe the really controversial club in question was the first one to start using SylviaP, and that set the tone.
Americans are such followers.

I think not only did the club in question raise the interest in these types of leotards, but also the advent of the "Insta-gymmie" and promise of psuedo fame. Those leotards certainly do look pretty in photos, and if you have the right combination of a pretty leo, pretty gymmie and decent photography skills, you might just get to hop on the bandwagon and create a small following. Let's face it, no one is flocking to follow the instagram of gymmies who pose in plain or even standard leotards.

Just a clarification, the suits worn by the college divers are exactly the same as those worn by the college swimmers. Hurtling, jumping and flipping/twisting in a relatively thin wet fabric will, unfortunately, create wedgies.

I’m not sure why some are choosing to blame the high cut of leos solely on men. There are several female college head coaches that I’m sure are responsible for the design of their team leotard.

I personally don’t think they should be cut that high. There were wardrobe malfunctions last year and in one case, a picture had to be removed after some noticed that the leo has slipped during a routine and was exposing the gymnast. I watched a college meet last year where a floor, a girl’s leo rode up on her and by the end of the routine, her entire right cheek was exposed. She didn’t correct it until the end because she didn’t want to be deducted, but I doubt that she was comfortable with exposing that might of her body. Even if she was, a gymnast shouldn’t have to make a choice of being exposed or having to take a deduction for it.

I am also not convinced that every college gymnast is comfortable with such a high cut leg and since it is a team leo, out of respect for those that may want to be more modest, they should take that into consideration. This isn’t an issue of “a girl should be able to wear what she wants” because these girls don’t get that choice.

High cut leotards are also not a new trend but there has been a serious trend of backless Leo’s. In 2008 or 2011 I noticed an elite gymnast competing for her families gym (who presumably had control over her wardrobe) whose leotard was extremely high cut on her inner thigh. When she was on beam at Nationals the camera was so close up I was uncomfortable for her.

Both USAG and FIG COPs clearly state the cut of the leotard must be below the hip bone. I don't have the NCAA rules, they're based off of USAG. Why isn't that deduction enforced? I've actually had coaches tell me that it was required the leotards be cut up to the hip bone.

a gymnast shouldn’t have to make a choice of being exposed or having to take a deduction for it.

Yes. What is it saying to girls when they are told there will be a punishment for rearranging their clothes, and then they are forced to wear clothes that need constant rearranging? It says “we are exposing your body to the public on purpose and if you want to reach your goals you can’t argue.” On a smaller scale, it’s the same principle as when women are basically told they have to offer sexual favors to advance their careers. Turning over the rights to one’s body should not be part of the equation.

Personally I think that as a standard, uniforms should be produced and offered in the same team design across multiple items of clothing: a leo (with the option of sleeves to the wrist if that is not the standard for all), shorts, and leggings. No open backs that don’t accommodate a bra and no leg openings so high they can create those awkward camera moments. Then let each girl choose what makes her comfortable in her team’s design. I don’t think this would sacrifice team unity or the integrity of judging in the slightest.

I’m not sure why some are choosing to blame the high cut of leos solely on men. There are several female college head coaches that I’m sure are responsible for the design of their team leotard.

I personally don’t think they should be cut that high. There were wardrobe malfunctions last year and in one case, a picture had to be removed after some noticed that the leo has slipped during a routine and was exposing the gymnast. I watched a college meet last year where a floor, a girl’s leo rode up on her and by the end of the routine, her entire right cheek was exposed. She didn’t correct it until the end because she didn’t want to be deducted, but I doubt that she was comfortable with exposing that might of her body. Even if she was, a gymnast shouldn’t have to make a choice of being exposed or having to take a deduction for it.

I am also not convinced that every college gymnast is comfortable with such a high cut leg and since it is a team leo, out of respect for those that may want to be more modest, they should take that into consideration. This isn’t an issue of “a girl should be able to wear what she wants” because these girls don’t get that choice.
the college gymnasts pull up their leos and then roll them under to make them even higher. I’ve seen it and have been told about it. So don’t blame the coaches, the gymnasts actually do like them that way.

Not to mention that if you watch the college girls practice, tanks and bar shorts seem to be the preferred attire. Seems pretty clear to me what their preference is.

I’m not sure why some are choosing to blame the high cut of leos solely on men.

Hi. If you are referring to my post, I don't think you read the discussion in full context so I just want to provide some clarification. My post was in response to another poster's assertion that men try to control women by putting them in conservative clothing but in my experience men always want to see more skin, less coverage. No one is blaming anything solely on men, it's just that the discussion was about men's preference and their part in this increasing skimpy trend, and while women obviously have a part in this trend too, it just wasn't the focus of the discussion so it wasn't addressed. I totally agree women also contribute to the trend, maybe different reasons, more edgy, attractive, if you have it flaunt it, etc., but same result.

In the case of young girls in skimpy Leo’s, they are being told that in order to achieve their goals they must put their body on display. If they want to be a star they need to expose it all. FWIW I showed my 13 year old the Leo above and she was horrified for the girls. (She also called it hideous and wondered why someone would choose it) but she pointed out that with the cut- nipples could pop out very easily along with everything else. That mesh with that cut is just wrong.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back