WAG USAG magazine cover

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

John

Proud Parent
In another thread, there were comments on the front cover of the most current USAG magazine and the proposed new photograph policy. It bothered me so I emailed USAG's Toby Stark. This is what I said:

Page 9 of the current USAG magazine say this:
  • Examples of photos that should be edited or deleted:
  • Open straddle positions
  • Any image where the genital area is prominent
  • Images with misplaced apparel or where undergarments are showing
  • Suggestive or provocative poses

The front of the Magazine breaks these rules. She is a beautiful gymnast, but you have broken your own rules. What should I as a parent think about this oversite?

Kind Regards,

John

Surprisedly I just now got a reply:

Hello John: Thank you for reaching out regarding the cover of the recent USA Gymnastics Magazine. I have shared your thoughts and concerns with our communications team, and I have called a meeting of our Safe Sport Work Group to develop stronger guidelines for photo selection that will be helpful in compliance with the proactive policies. This is something we take very seriously.

Our intent is to show the athlete’s ability and prowess in performing skills, in the most appropriate way. These guidelines will help reduce the subjectivity in those efforts. Thank you again for your email and your concern, John. Please let me know if you ever need anything else.

Best-

Toby

Any thoughts?

Wow. I am so shocked you got a response. I like that they did that- possibly it means that they heard this from others, or that they are taking your thoughts seriously and will really look into the way they do things. Live in hope, right?

I would like it if they just switched from the long sleeve competition leo to a tank leo with shorts for competition. I know... I know... the style has been around for years, but seriously it is 2017. Let's give these girls some coverage, especially those who are post-puberty.

So many of these college gymnastics leotards are so unflattering. It is extremely annoying simply because IT IS THE CUT OF THE LEO. It is not the girls or their athletic physique that is the problem.

It would look super sporty and there is so much they can do. I don't mind even if they give us a list of approved shorts manufacturers and give them specifics. Men already wear shorts and pants when they compete, so essentially it would be more uniform.

Then, we have more coverage for the girls in the gym, at the competition, and in any photos that may be taken of them.

Now, granted I don't think would fly for rhythmic gymnastics (which was the cover photo, i think), but why not for artistic gymnastics?

It's not like the gymnastics shorts are long and overly modest.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like it if they just switched from the long sleeve competition leo to a tank leo with shorts for competition. I know... I know... the style has been around for years, but seriously it is 2017. Let's give these girls some coverage, especially those who are post-puberty.

So many of these college gymnastics leotards are so unflattering. It is extremely annoying simply because IT IS THE CUT OF THE LEO. It is not the girls or their athletic physique that is the problem.

It would look super sporty and there is so much they can do. I don't mind even if they give us a list of approved shorts manufacturers and give them specifics. Men already wear shorts and pants when they compete, so essentially it would be more uniform.

Then, we have more coverage for the girls in the gym, at the competition, and in any photos that may be taken of them.

Now, granted I don't think would fly for rhythmic gymnastics (which was the cover photo, i think), but why not for artistic gymnastics?

It's not like the gymnastics shorts are granny style.
Re: College leotards... Some colleges refuse to buy leotards above a certain size. You either wear what they buy or you don't compete. That plus the cut makes for some very unattractive fits.

Re: Shorts... I think, technically, as long as the shorts match the bottom of the leotard in color and fabric (at least in some programs), shorts are acceptable. They could even wear them with long sleeve leotards.
I like the idea of adding shorts, especially for the older girls.

I don't agree with the shorts and tank leo, but the problem with college leotard is real. The problem is not the gymnasts wearing the leotards, its the attitude of the coaches who order them. Even though some colleges order new leotards every year, they do not order leotards that fit the girls. They use a stock order and tell the gymnasts that they have to wear them. So if you have a muscular gymnast who could wear an AXL or AL, the only choices they have are AS or AXS. I know quite a few current and former college gymnasts, and this is what is done. When my daughter was actively trying to be recruited, she was told by one college scout that they only take girls who can fit into an AXS or AS, and if they don't then they have to wear them any way. It's not the leotard, its the attitude of the ones in charge. I dont' want to see gymnasts competing in shorts and tank leos, that would just be so trite and blah. Also, if GK and the others would stop offering a European cut to clubs, then that would eliminate the high cut for club gymnasts.

I got a response to my follow up email. Toby is apparently on the job. I will cross my fingers that a change can take place.

DD gym does not allow shorts at any time.

I got a response to my follow up email. Toby is apparently on the job. I will cross my fingers that a change can take place.

DD gym does not allow shorts at any time.
Most gyms that don't allow shorts do so under the false reasoning that since they can't compete in shorts, they should not get used to wearing shorts or they will be uncomfortable at meets.

Okay, okay hold on.... I live in CA, raised in FL.... millions of girls on the beach wearing less.... Lets not get carried away. I will also add that shorts on bars can be a bad idea when the thumbs catch on the waistband.

I should add not allowing shorts is fine with me. DD never wore shorts nor does she like too.

Reactions: sce
Meh, I can take or leave the shorts. I can see where it could help for the older girls at certain times; but as a person who was a competitive swimmer, the leos actually cover more than my old swim suits, so don't make me uncomfortable. My kids have all been fine in leos so far.

Meh, I can take or leave the shorts. I can see where it could help for the older girls at certain times; but as a person who was a competitive swimmer, the leos actually cover more than my old swim suits, so don't make me uncomfortable. My kids have all been fine in leos so far.
The difference between leotards in gymnastics and competition swimwear is that there aren't a lot of photo ops in swimming with the swimmer in straddle position.
With the new guidelines, uneven bars should be recorded / photographed from side view only ... And that is not always possible.

Idk. I'm on the "I don't get it side" too. I don't find these photos lude or inappropriate. I quite like the picture on the magazine.

However, I'm also in one of those areas where it's really hot in the summer and the clothing is miniature!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back