WAG USAG magazine cover

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

There is a guy on eBay who seems to buy photos and maybe negatives from thrift shops or something. He then sells them on eBay with comments like, "hot young gymnast. Crotch shot". I sometimes sit at the computer reporting pictures; but his account stays up. I guess technically not illegal; but creepy as hell. When all this came up with usag I thought if that eBay account and so it does make sense to me.

The bottoms of college team leos are so skimpy, and getting more skimpy every year! It is distracting. I don't get the point of it. It is impossible not to notice. And it is worse on TV with the close ups. College boys go to meets to watch females flipping around in barely anything. I literally was at a meet where college boys were catcalling the gymnasts.

I like the idea of booty shorts. It looks a lot more sporty and more serious. I don't think it impacts performance. Actually, I think skimpy leos impact performance more, wedgies, uncomfortable bras (low back leos), inadequate support in the chest area, straddle in that skimpy thing got to feel weird, and during that time of month! All of the gymnasts at our gym wear booty shorts during work out. The gymnast's lines, shape and curves of the skill performed are still greatly demonstrated when wearing booty shorts.

Some people who don't know gymnastics don't think of gymnastics seriously as a sport (wish they would all try it for themselves!) Would looking more athletic help improve that perception? I could only think of sand volleyball where women athletes are in skimpy competition attire the whole time. Men at work were talking about it during the Olympics and while they think the athletics were amazing and of course were rooting for US to win, they certainly also enjoyed other aspects of it. Water sports are different because the sport requires it and they are exposed only brief moments and covered up immediately after the competition. Cheer uniform has more coverage and they do serious tumbling and pyramids in those skirts! Ballet dancers wear skirts. Ice skaters wear skirts. Women used to wear leotards to exercise but now they wear sports bras/tanks and shorts. Leotards just seem outdated. It's ok for the little ones to wear them. They are pretty and fun. But after a certain age it seems it should move to more sports oriented look.

I might be stupid, but I don't see what not taking certain pictures has to do with lessening the abuse in gyms/USAG in general. Can someone explain?

Thanks for asking the question.

Avoiding publishing photos with unnecessary photo angles (i.e. “Crotch shots”) helps establish and maintain a culture of respect for athletes and a culture that values personal dignity of individual athletes.

A system is always perfectly designed to generate the result it gets. I think we can all agree that the recent “Results” within gymnastics are sub-optimal. So, let’s look at the “System” that generated those results.

The culture of our gymnastics community should support, reinforce, and encourage respect and personal dignity of each athlete, regardless of gender.

Avoiding publishing photos with unnecessary photo angles is one step in the right direction.

I would like it if they just switched from the long sleeve competition leo to a tank leo with shorts for competition. I know... I know... the style has been around for years, but seriously it is 2017. Let's give these girls some coverage, especially those who are post-puberty.

So many of these college gymnastics leotards are so unflattering. It is extremely annoying simply because IT IS THE CUT OF THE LEO. It is not the girls or their athletic physique that is the problem.

It would look super sporty and there is so much they can do. I don't mind even if they give us a list of approved shorts manufacturers and give them specifics. Men already wear shorts and pants when they compete, so essentially it would be more uniform.

Then, we have more coverage for the girls in the gym, at the competition, and in any photos that may be taken of them.

Now, granted I don't think would fly for rhythmic gymnastics (which was the cover photo, i think), but why not for artistic gymnastics?

It's not like the gymnastics shorts are long and overly modest.

even for rhythmic gymnastics, they could do something like this :

slide_240323_1265377_free.jpg

110b66067fee5cc5d8197205b31b4443.jpg
b89b46b58cc4e8a1736ab5c202492c1d--unitards-catsuit.jpg
2f1f05fd0db4571d786113a5ff46993d.jpg

I know the girls at the local rhythmic gym wear leggins during practice (not for this reason), and it seems to work really well for them from a gymnastics point of view, so it probably wouldn't present a grip problem or anything. (like this)
3825e307e7333be8ae0dccfcf499bedb--rhythmic-gymnastics-training-gymnastics-gym.jpg

they could also do 3/4 unitards like above, but fancy and a unitard.

I wouldn't mind the option to wear shorts, but I don't know if it would solve the problem. There would still be creeps out there :/

There is a guy on eBay who seems to buy photos and maybe negatives from thrift shops or something. He then sells them on eBay with comments like, "hot young gymnast. Crotch shot". I sometimes sit at the computer reporting pictures; but his account stays up. I guess technically not illegal; but creepy as hell. When all this came up with usag I thought if that eBay account and so it does make sense to me.
Invest a little time and money into his identity and out him. I will chip in !

even for rhythmic gymnastics, they could do something like this :

slide_240323_1265377_free.jpg

110b66067fee5cc5d8197205b31b4443.jpg
b89b46b58cc4e8a1736ab5c202492c1d--unitards-catsuit.jpg
2f1f05fd0db4571d786113a5ff46993d.jpg

I know the girls at the local rhythmic gym wear leggins during practice (not for this reason), and it seems to work really well for them from a gymnastics point of view, so it probably wouldn't present a grip problem or anything. (like this)
3825e307e7333be8ae0dccfcf499bedb--rhythmic-gymnastics-training-gymnastics-gym.jpg

they could also do 3/4 unitards like above, but fancy and a unitard.

I wouldn't mind the option to wear shorts, but I don't know if it would solve the problem. There would still be creeps out there :/
No, I don't like this. It looks strange. It takes away some of the artistry and elegance, IMO.

No, I don't like this. It looks strange. It takes away some of the artistry and elegance, IMO.
My suggestion was for if they were to create a similar rule for rg, it would be better to do something like this than have a biketard IMO. I prefer regular leos too, and I don't know how much it would help, but it's better than a biketard, at least for rg.

Also, these are already a thing. I saw several of them at the olympics. And some of them were flat out gorgeous, like this one

c9cecc7f8a3697a338a3d93532fa3ff6--gymnastics-leotards-gymnastics-costumes.jpg

and I don't like this color much, but w/ rhythmic fabric this one would also be gorgeous:

1a4e64184ceb6f58a3cdfa0a899a02cd--dance-unitards-unitard-dance-costume.jpg

OMG are some of you serious? There's nothing sexual about "open straddle" or any other gymnastics positions (except some of the raunchy things the NCAA girls purposely do but that doesn't affect USAG or the magazine). And the idea that leotards are too revealing is ridiculous. Should the Olympic swimming, beach volleyball, water polo, figure skating, and rhythmic uniforms be changed as well? Seriously this is getting ridiculous, some people are always trying to create conflict where there is none.

OMG are some of you serious? There's nothing sexual about "open straddle" or any other gymnastics positions (except some of the raunchy things the NCAA girls purposely do but that doesn't affect USAG or the magazine). And the idea that leotards are too revealing is ridiculous. Should the Olympic swimming, beach volleyball, water polo, figure skating, and rhythmic uniforms be changed as well? Seriously this is getting ridiculous, some people are always trying to create conflict where there is none.
I think the problem was that they broke their own rule in the same magazine where they posted said rule. Additionally, while gymnastics isn’t sexual at all, some poses, leos, and still frames are completely and unnecessarily revealing. And yes, rhythmic leos are downright indecent at times and they should edge away from all the nude/see through bits.

I think the problem was that they broke their own rule in the same magazine where they posted said rule. Additionally, while gymnastics isn’t sexual at all, some poses, leos, and still frames are completely and unnecessarily revealing. And yes, rhythmic leos are downright indecent at times and they should edge away from all the nude/see through bits.

Exactly broke there own rule that was only weeks old.

Wow. I am so shocked you got a response. I like that they did that- possibly it means that they heard this from others, or that they are taking your thoughts seriously and will really look into the way they do things. Live in hope, right?

they have...for several years. now it looks like something will be done about it. :)

The difference between leotards in gymnastics and competition swimwear is that there aren't a lot of photo ops in swimming with the swimmer in straddle position.
With the new guidelines, uneven bars should be recorded / photographed from side view only ... And that is not always possible.

actually, it is. Carlos Rodriguez. Always takes the same crotch shots on Tkatchevs. Coincidence? can't take the same shot from the side which shows more amplitude?? then everyone is naive.

Idk. I'm on the "I don't get it side" too. I don't find these photos lude or inappropriate. I quite like the picture on the magazine.

However, I'm also in one of those areas where it's really hot in the summer and the clothing is miniature!

the hidden problem is that you don't know how these pics are photo shopped and where they go after they have been 'altered'.

Thanks for asking the question.

Avoiding publishing photos with unnecessary photo angles (i.e. “Crotch shots”) helps establish and maintain a culture of respect for athletes and a culture that values personal dignity of individual athletes.

A system is always perfectly designed to generate the result it gets. I think we can all agree that the recent “Results” within gymnastics are sub-optimal. So, let’s look at the “System” that generated those results.

The culture of our gymnastics community should support, reinforce, and encourage respect and personal dignity of each athlete, regardless of gender.

Avoiding publishing photos with unnecessary photo angles is one step in the right direction.

again...read what i posted above. you don't know where these photos go after they have been altered.

Reactions: sce

again, you don't know where these photos go after they have been photo shopped. think people...not sexual to any of us. then to who?? for whose gratification??

Reactions: sce

Swimmers have no need to be in such revealing outfits. In fact, many of them switched to bodysuits because they are more aerodynamic. Most figure skating outfits have skirts. Acro rules require skirts on leos to cover the backside or they get deductions.

I think there's zero reason for leos to be so high cut, especially for children. And just like the boys switch into pants for pommel, I see no reason why, for safety, girls couldn't switch out of shorts for bars and back in for the other events.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back