USAG program

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Some of our team want to do more competitions so we're trying to do some USAG competitions. We took a look at the rules for the prep opp gold and platinum and realized I need to at least compete level 5 with 31.00 or more overall to compete those prep opp levels so right now I'm learning all the level 5 routines to compete at our home competition on January 14th. It seems like a lot of work since I hate cartwheels on balance beam, fronthipcircles on bar and don't know how to do a backextension roll, plus I'm having to learn completely new routines and I know they won't look near as good as the younger girls that have been doing them for a long time. I was wondering if anyone is doing something similar.

I seem to recall as an older gymnast your coach can petition to get you past the compulsory levels. Hopefully someone who knows will clarify. I would contact your state USAG office for clarification.

Found it, here is the link to the page
:: USA Gymnastics :: Junior Olympic Program Overview ::

Here is the actual text

Any gymnast who has had previous competitive experience in any system (including USA Gymnastics)and who is a minimum of 14 years of age (and is also at least a freshman in High School) is eligible to petition the State Administrative Committeefor entry into Level 7. The petition must be accompanied by a video that demonstrates her skill level.

It sends very straight forward. Looks like you can stop those L5 routines.

I am very aware of that rule and if I had an older L7 that wasn't never going to make it through L7 I'd think about it hard.

What's more difficult is if there is a gym and coach that would allow such a gymnast to work out in a group like that.

BLair, the OP is an adult gymnast who works out with a group of other adults. She is strong enough to compete L7+, but does not have the USAG compulsories under her belt, so to speak. I am sure this rule is perfect for her.

I'm actually still going through the compulsory level 5 since our competition is January 15th and it seems as if my coaches really want me to work through it this way. Georgi thinks that it is making me a better gymnast because its forcing me to work on things like cartwheels and handstands on balance beam and my form on everything else. I actually was able to learn a fronthipcircle for the first time in my life about 2 weeks ago and feel pretty good about bars. The main thing I am really struggling with is the backextension roll on floor and may have to take the 0.6 deduction for taking it out since I don't think I will be able to get it in time or ever. I never learned it as a child but I think more than the deduction I am just frustrated that I don't know if I'll ever master it. I feel that way about press to handstand and cast handstands on bars. Why are there some things that just seem to frustrate me to no end and feel almost impossible. Its not necessarily something difficult but just for me seems impossible. I think maybe its due to learning stuff late in life and either not having the flexibility or since i'm too heavy to force into the position(like pick me up into the handstand as I roll backwards) I can't get my brain to get my body to react properly to do the skill.

What types of drills have you tried regarding the back extension roll? Do you have a trampoline?

Yes I do have access to a trampoline and have been trying to use a wedge mat as well. There are times I feel like I'm pretty good with the wedge mat but once I try to take it to the floor its no better. I think part of my problem is the beginning part. I feel so far from the ground standing so I squat down slowly and loose all my momentum which makes it even harder to roll backwards. Also I don't have the greatest shoulder flexibilty but I really don't think that is the issue. I think I'm just not executing the skill correctly. If you know any good drills I'd love to hear them

So you can do a decent one on a wedge? In that case I agree you probably need to develop more momemtum going into it. In an ideal world you could do a back extension w/ no momentum, but if you need to compete it soon you might need to try this:

Try dropping into the squat, and at the last second 'shooting' your butt back. Your coach might not like this, and it might be a deduction now (wasn't when I competed L5) but it might help you get the hang of it.

Straight arm back pike rolls where you slam your arms like you would in a back extention, either on floor or on wedge, might help. You would be working the upper body without worrying about hitting handstand.

Could you get a double spot and have one person grab a leg when you try back extensions on floor? We did this in my team setting with two girls the same size as the spotted girl, and none of us are coaches, and we were able to do this.

Are you turning your hands in toward one another? Fingers should point in.

On tramp try back drop, flip over backward to stand, and then try shooting toes up to land in a handstand on tramp. Back drop shoot handstand, from a bounce to your back on tramp. Same action, just you use the tramp to bounce you to handstand.

Back to the no momentum thing. We do sets of sitting in a pike, roll back to candle stick. Do one to candlestick, right away one to candlestick but slam arms into floor a little harder so your body starts to back extension, then one right away thru to a pushup position. All from a pike seat. This builds the direct strength you use in a back extension. They might not be pretty to watch, but then you go back to normal back extension and it seems easy.

Finally you might try sitting on a trapezoid block and rolling back so that the edge of your neck is off the block (probably 2 feet off the ground block) and open armpits/shoot toes to land in a handstand on the floor. You would be steping out of the handstand and facing the block (the block is the long way when you're facing it from here). So you are sitting, rolling back and doing a back extension but your body is already lifted 2 feet off the ground, so all you have to do is land in the handstand on the floor, but its still the same armpit open action. You might want a soft mat to go onto or a spot because if you mistime it you could collapse on your head. But once you get the timing its great for working really straight arms and getting the feel.

Hope something here helped, I struggled w/ these in L5 quite a bit as I was already tall and it was a hard skill to get. Mine still isn't great like w/ perfectly straight arms, and back extensions helps clear hips on bars a lot so we work them a lot. They are a fun and useful skill though and worth getting. If you want to do progressions w/ giants and stuff back extension roll to half turn helps learn a blind change, etc.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back